Why no sequal to JC The Thing.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Haggis and tatties, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I've never understood that arguement though. Surely your eye can tell when something is a piece of rubber. A rubber Thing-dog is just as fake as a CGI Thing-dog and the big advantage to the CGI dog is you can't see the seams where the dog ends and the stuntman underneath begins.

2. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me too.

It was a nice ending. No dramatic shoot out, just Snake Plis... I mean Kurt Russell giving the alien a fuck you, then he's stuck in the cold, not even knowing if he's killed the damned thing. Why do we need to have everything handed to us on a plate?

As an aside, the first time I got to sit down and watch the thing was with my ex (something to thank her for, how's about that). After seeing every last detail for the first time, I could hardly bear to have her touch me in bed afterwards. Kissing me, hands running all over me, all I could thing of was the damned Thing! :lol:

3. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

Great, with Moore on this, we'll end up being confronted by the innate humanity of the Thing and how we're no better than it and maybe we actually deserve to be wiped out by it. The film will be alternately super awesome and hugely depressing. And gritty. And dark.

And the Norwegians will be Swedes and one of the Swedes will be a woman, cause Moore likes to change shit up.

No sequel unless Carpenter and Russell are in it.

And JC's The Thing is NOT a remake of that bullshit '50s flick. They're both independent adaptations of the original short story "Who Goes There?"

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not only that, it was a very faithful take on the source material, that is, the short story Who Goes There.

5. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

What it is is that I've already suspended my disbelief, I know there's no alien there, but when they use rubber and latex and whatnot...that stuff is really in front of the camera. The eye can see that and it helps to make it seem more real.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I haven't seen this movie in a long time, but I always thought of JC's version as a sequel to the 50's version. The main thing that leads me to this is the scene where they are viewing the videos/films the Norwegians made of the ufo. those clips look exactly like clips from the original movie.

7. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

The 50s version takes place in the 50s, yes? The 80s one takes place in the 80s. Unless the 50s cast were all secretly Norwegians and hung out in Antarctica for thirty years before all dying horrible deaths a couple days before the start of JC's film, I'd say sequel doesn't really fit.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think it's just a homage to the 50s film (not the first time Carpenter did this)

The Thing is a film that doesn't need a sequel. There's little point. Either the Thing is dead in the end (and probably so are Childes and MacCready) or else the Thing survived. Frankly if it survived mankind is screwed.

10. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

On the DVD, Carpenter himself said he considered the Dark House miniseries to be the sequel to the film.