The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have not read the comics, but I did read their summaries the other day and focused on how it is different than the tv show. It seems to be certainly telling a very similar story but with different elemental in a different order.

Perhaps the best question of the finale isn't who will die but where they will go from here. In the finale for the second season the camera panned over the prison so its important to figure out where our team hasn't been yet.

For me, the most local choice is to focus on Woodbuy and Rick's team taking over the town and do the story line like the Alexandria Safe Zone with Woodbury taking the spot of Alexandria. I don't see them traveling to DC as they already covered some/most of that material with the CDC. and with the order of the Hershal farm all messed up staying in Woodbury seems the best choice to me.

Thus Rick's group figuring out how to trick the Governor out of it seems paramount for the ending.

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A lot of people overlook owning the prison as their best asset. By the look of the finale teaser, Woodbury's militia moves on the prison in force. Frankly, that's a passion play by the Gov. who is pissed & now probably more so after the Merle stunt, & the whole group is overconfident. The smart move would be to station Woodbury people outside the prison perimeter, & execute supply parties. Deplete their group a few at a time, & starve the rest out, the way Merle had mentioned. Hell, it wouldn't even take long, because they have less than a dozen people there

But that's not what they're doing. They appear to be storming the castle, busting down the gate with a vehicle & having what looked like the whole of their infantry follow behind. They are engaging the enemy on enemy turf. That asset is more valuable in the conflict than anything else. They're stupid for doing it. If you own the territory, then you have the advantage, as long as you make use of that. Hell, the idiot blonde kid in Home Alone figured that out, & he only had marbles & paint cans & shit

I'm joking a bit there. lol
    The point is, on prison grounds, they can booby trap, cut off & trap groups once they split up, hand pick the best vantage points, & set up a safe zone that is better secured than anything they could manage back in the wild, to hold that baby. Sure humans survived millenia with babies in tow, but this group, in their current state & circumstance can't handle keeping that baby alive without the safety of somewhere like the prison. Will they stay there forever? Certainly not, but they NEED it now

They OWN it. The only real damage a guerrilla group can sustain is the complete loss of it by damage, as in the Gov. just burns the place to the ground, which may be the case ultimately, but it still won't be enough to keep his militia from being fish in a barrel for a handful of people ready for them

It's a tv show. Woodbury's people are the largest number BECAUSE they will be the biggest losses. When the bodies start hitting the ground, we only have like 10 to spare. Maybe we lose one or two, but Woodbury will lose MANY if not every one of their militia

Expect there to be surprise attacks on the Woodbury dumbasses

3. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm thinking the group doesn't have the skill set of the average stone age person. Nor where the nomadic people you mention up against predators as numerous as these.

as to migrating somewhere else; at the beginning of the season they mentioned being hemmed in by giant herds of walkers.

oops need to quote. Responding to this post

and mojo, I said on the last page the prison was a modern day keep :p

4. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. I forsee the prison being the reverse of a Trojan Horse. Maybe I'm envisioning things that don't exist. In that clip of them storming the castle there are no walkers anywhere. That is odd for this series who place walkers in the background everywhere and its so odd because even our hero's don't care about them unless they get close. To not see them then at that point in time seems important to me. So where are they?

I say they are in the castle waiting for The Governors troops to enter the castle. And BOOM! They have Walkers to content with booby traps, etc. Clearly something else is going on at Woodbury at the time the actor who plays the governor says as much.

My guess still is that Rick is assaulting Woodbury while the governor is at a walker infested prison.

5. wissaboo

maybe they take a page from Morgan's book

6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw that...

I said it better :rofl:

7. wissaboo

well.... that's true :lol:

8. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I'v just never liked hairy women. Has nothing whatsoever to do with thinking they look prepubecent. Probably has more to do with it (hairlessness) NOT looking masculine. Hair reminds me of dudes -- don't know why, it just does.

Great episode. Michonne finally got to Merle.

Seeing his brother as a walker had to be ten times worse for Daryl than just seeing Merle's dead body.

I had completely zoned out on David Morrisey being "the next Doctor". On "Talking Dead", he actually appeared to be attempting to present the Gov as a sympathetic character. Unfortunately, his portrayal has been so good that it is really hard to sympathize with the character even though we know he is as much a victim of this world as everyone else is.

Looking forward to the Battle Royale next week.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So he could call Rick from the other side, like all the others did:devil:

10. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

:guffaw:

Hubby and I were having a "huh?" moment when Merle packed the phone, then later he exclaimed "oh, Merle used the rotary dial to bind Michone's fingers and the cord to tie her hands around the dial".

Sharp-eyed, my Hubby!

11. Sindatur

Fantastic Episode, especially the final scene, worthy of an Emmy, IMHO

The Merle Redemption was very well done, first, giving Rick a wake up call with how awful he alluded to things the Governor would do to her, to the conversation with Michonne, and ambush after the chug-a-lug.

Excited for next week's finale, and nervous, there's too many good characters I'm attached to, to carry into Next season, I think. :eek:

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, that final scene was a killer. Poor Daryl. And he really had some great lines in this episode: "This ain't us, man." "I ain't saying that was the wrong thing to do, but this is the right thing to do." I wonder if this will effect his relationship with Rick at all.

And Merle certainly died well. After everything, he went out a hero and reduced the Governor's forces significantly. Getting drunk, luring in a horde of zombies and then picking off a bunch of the enemy may not have been the most brilliant plan, but nobody ever said that he was a military genius-- just that he had military training. :rommie:

I was disappointed in Rick for deciding to give up Michonne, but at least he ultimately made the right decision and did it on his own. This is quite a different Rick from the end of last season.

13. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I doubt it. Rick changed his mind and Merle was simply...being Merle.
    And Daryl knows that second part better than anyone else. No reason to hate Rick for it.

14. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good episode.

The parallels between the show and the comic are pretty close at times just in a different order and different people.

For instance I predict the same fate will befall Beth and Judith the same way it did with Lori and Judith in the comic with next week's events.

I hope the season finale ends the Governor's story line as to me it's dragging on too long.

I think Woodbury with be the Comic's Alexandria.

15. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I was thinking it might be more interesting to keep the Governor alive. How would you handle someone like that, imprison them? Execute them? Exile?

16. PKerr

He has already proven he would be a great zombie, he likes gnawing on people when they are still alive.

17. Sindatur

Please Use spoiler code for Spoilers, many of us haven't read the comics.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  18. PKerr

I predict, I hope and I think are spoilers?
    Just because an event happened in the comic doesn't mean it will happen on the show.

For instance the whole Morgan story was barley even the same as what happened in the comic.

AND if you haven't read the comic then how can you be spoiled if you have no idea what happened in them?

19. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I would have thought he'd realized already from his face-to-face with the Governor that giving up Michonne would change nothing.

Terminate with the most extreme prejudice imaginable! Shane was considered too dangerous to live.... and he hadn't committed anywhere close to the kinds of atrocities that the Governor has without even blinking. As long as the Governor lives, even if he is in captivity there is always the threat of his escaping and causing more harm to other people. This isn't like chasing Saddam Hussein out of town and then, out of sheer dumb luck, finding him hiding in a foxhole out in the middle of nowhere some weeks later.

I'm talking about capturing and disarming him (literally, with Michonne's kitana) and then feeding him to the walkers. Don't even bother putting a bullet in his head. That's far too merciful for him. Just stand back and let him scream as the walkers tear the flesh off his bones. Then maybe, if there's enough of his brains left to trigger reanimation, you let Glenn or Daryl turn on their hardcore mode and smash the Governor's skull in.

20. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IMDB has a tidbit about the season finale
    The IMDB entry for the finale indicates Lennie James ('Morgan') appears.