Unofficial art challenge for DS9! (SPOILERS FOR TP: RAISE THE DAWN!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Mojomoe, Oct 31, 2012.

1. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Unofficial art challenge for DS9! (SPOILERS FOR TP: RAISE THE DAW

it's clearly designed to appease hallmark. :bolian:

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yup.

3. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

It's funny- at first, I read this and thought, meh- I never really liked the station design for DS9. And that's fine- it was supposed to be alien anyway.

But then I couldn't stop thinking about the description. I thought how the hell would this work... Now I need to make it after throwing down some sketches.

[​IMG]

And what I'm thinking is a radical departure from the single axis levels for the sphere. I'm thinking each deck is like a layer of an onion, encompasing the whole of the sphere to the core.

The 6 arms leading the rings each have levels that rotate to orientate themselves to the axis of the give ring.

And each ring can accomodate 8 galaxy class ships on the outside parimeter, and smaller ships and on the inside.

The more I think of it, the more I believe this can make a damned cool looking station! I'm excited about it. And it's different! Can't wait to get home!

5. Patrickivan

Okay- I've whipped something up. This is about 560 metres across. The ship is a placeholder from my builds- it's about 300 metres long. I think that I would double the size of this base to make it work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I really like where this is going. Any thoughts about this? I guess it's a love it or hate it concept.

I guess since it's not my idea, it's just someone elses concept.

6. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I'm probably leaning too heavily on the original DS9 with this, but here's what I've whipped up.

Essentially capping off the pylons with another ring at the top and the bottom, and replaced the middle with the aforementioned "sphere" and the habitat ring with a federation mushroom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I see the red bulb below more as an impulse engine than a fusion reactor - in case she needs to move in Emergencies or some such (hey - there's a precedent for it at least :p ).

7. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's pretty small compared to the original station:

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

If the original is 1 mile across, than those windows on the central hub must be HUGE.

9. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That actually looks way more practical than the designs based strictly on the description from the book. The only problem I have with it is the fact that the impulse engine looks pretty wimpy. It's practically begging a bad guy to shoot it off :p

10. Patrickivan

So my intent to double the size should work out well. Espcially given the volume of the sphere, we'll be looking at a HUGE base relative to DS9. The rings alone will be massive in volume.

I've always had issues with the scale of that station. But- scale is relative to the story line in a lot of Trek, both old and new, eh?

________

I was thinking of putting some kind of communications arrays on the ends of each Ring but don't want to over do it. Maybe just the north/south points? And some control structures along hard docking points?

I also want to put some shuttle docking bays on the sphere, but don't want it to look like the death star.

The main thing is to keep it looking nothing like a Cardassian design. From what I'm gathering from the simple description I read, it's a Federation design.

11. sojourner

ok, I decided to do a couple very rough sketches. I disregarded the description from the novel - it just didn't work for me. My idea uses a bit of the old Capitol Records building for inspiration of the central core with a classic ring. The large ring and central hub would be largely civilian/commercial, while the lower ring would be the Navy docks. The upper regions of the central core would be housing, administration and command at the top. You can see my USS Boundless docked at one of the VIP docking ports on the administration level. For scale, the Boundless is larger than an Excelsior but small than an Ambassador class.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, I finally got some time to do a very rough take on my idea for the new station. Obviously this doesn't quite fit with the description from the book, but oh well...

[​IMG]

Let's see who can be first to guess the significance of the shape.

13. sojourner

Bajoran symbol. Nice.

14. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, it's fairly obvious that it's the Bajoran symbol at first glance. The asymmetry is interesting, but I'm wondering if there's a connection between the station core and the bit of the ring behind the core in this pic.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I really like the design, but it seems a little lacking in docking capability for a busy space station.

16. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Granted, it only has two docking pylons, but they're considerably bigger than the ones on DS9 and have multiple docking ports along their length instead of just one at the end. I figure this station can handle at least three large ships per pylon, plus six more along the outer ring and dozens of smaller ships at various other locations.

17. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's awesome, and almost exactly what I'd been thinking myself. After all, it's still Bajoran space, Fed member or not -- and I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to overcome a stark reminder of the occupation by building something so clearly Bajoran in design.

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Ah, okay. I guess I didn't examine it closely enough. I hope you keep working on it!

19. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I really like the design, but there is an unmistakable sense of motion to the asymmetry and it seems more like a ship than a station. I'm also not entirely sure the "docking ring" section matches with the shapes in the central hub.

20. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I *really* like your concept, Vektor, but the architecture seems more Cardassian than Federation to me. Of course, since you said you're straying from the book description, I don't know if that was on purpose or not.