U.S.S. Discovery from Star Trek: Borderlands

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Gorgon, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Gorgon

Gorgon Ensign Red Shirt

2. Gorgon

Gorgon Ensign Red Shirt

I happen to LOVE the 3D effect that Roman managed to pull off on this one. It totally rocks!

3. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is such an awesome ship. I want one.

4. Nightfall to-Ennien

Nightfall to-Ennien Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nicely done, but isn't this Mark Kingsnorth's Insignia class design?

5. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

It IS.
    Mark first posted it to my knowledge on Scifi-meshes website (the one that I frequented since it's creation).
    If someone else is taking the credit for this design, they are trying to rip it off.
    Mark would likely not appreciate someone else stealing his work.

6. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Yup, thats the insignia class alright. Mesh thieves deserve special hell.

7. Gorgon

Gorgon Ensign Red Shirt

You are right that it is Mark Kingsworth's design. And it is an excellent one at that. I never said that the ship was Roman's design, only that it was his IMAGE design. Perhaps that was a poor word choice on my part.

We attempt to get permission for the use of other people's art in our fan-fiction sim. As I recall, Mark Kingsworth was contacted personally about the use of this craft.

Most Trek fan artists have no issue with re-use of their material. In fact, they usually encourage it. I would! To use their material indicates the highest level of appreciation for the work that they invested in the project.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^But you should still credit the artist.

9. Gorgon

Gorgon Ensign Red Shirt

My apologies. I'll do better in the future. Thanks for the input.

10. RedShirt

RedShirt Captain Captain

Sure looks an awful lot like one of the "early concepts for a Nova class starship" from page 178 of the TNG Tech Manual... just without the extra wings protruding from the now Sovereign-style warp engine nacelles.

11. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

It's blatantly obvious your initial post was nothing more than a blatant advertisement for your RPG group, and one that was an epic fail at that, since you did not credit the original artist of the ship design.

Also, most artists DO take issue with re-use of their material... they spend lots of time on it, and don't need to see it ripped off, and mutilated into other purposes, without credit. This is why many of the REALLY skilled modelers on Sci Fi Meshes and other sites don't release their models most of the time.

And you only said you attempt to give credit to the artists AFTER you were caught with someone else's image... a very transparent move on your part. It means you're just sorry you got called out. You should have started out by saying "I don't know who the original artist is, but if someone can tell us, we will credit them".

12. Gorgon

Gorgon Ensign Red Shirt

I attempted to post a note that had a rather harsh tone. Thankfully, it didn't take.

I'm going to leave it at this, and hope that you will too. I apologize for offending some peoples sense of propriety. I'll make sure that I leave nothing to chance if I post a new image.

I did know who the image was from, I even said so in my last response in this thread. I meant no disrespect to anyone, especially Mark Kingsworth. He has been nothing but good to us.

If there is an original artist to credit on a recreated photo, then I will credit the original artist as well as the later contributor.

If I must ENDURE more "correction" for the error of my ways, I'm prepared.

Have a good day.

13. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

As I understand it, the protocol is as follows:

1) If it's your own work, you don't really need to say so. It's implied by virtue of not being specified.

2) It it's someone's image, give credit as far as you know credit is due. If you don't know who to credit, say so up front and odds are someone will point you the right way. If not, at least you aren't accidently claiming it as yours by not specifying it isn't.

3) If it's your own render of someone else's mesh, say so and credit the mesh. Even if it's a mesh that you have modified even in just some minor cosmetic way.

If you're cribbing stuff taken from screen caps of the show, that's cool, I think we'll all understand where that came from, but specifying that it did come from the show certainly wouldn't dig you any deeper.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding for the future! I can see how it could be easily overlooked if you're new at this game. :)

--Alex

14. Gorgon

Gorgon Ensign Red Shirt

Thank you, Alex.

I just wanted to show a picture that I liked. I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. Now, I do.

15. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

There is nothing wrong in showing a picture that you liked.
    However, credits are necessary on an image if it features material that you have not made.

You can easily edit the image in Photoshop and say:
    Insignia class ship by Mark Kingsworth,
    Image by 'Gorgon'

Fairly simple to do and takes only a few mins.

Generally speaking, if you post images that contain material only you made, then credits are not needed, however, it IS encouraged in order to avoid others stealing your work.

I had several people over the years ask me if they can use my images in various projects.
    I told them: 'Sure, so long as the said images still contain the credits I originally put on them'.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

This.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Agreed, s you might as well call it a Sternbach pastiche and leave it at that. Nice art all the same.

18. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fan artists pay homage to unused concept art/unseen onscreen concepts all the time.

Jim Martin's Defiant/Valiant concepts and Probert's Sphinx workpod are a great example of this.