Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JirinPanthosa, Mar 12, 2013.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The girl in Birthright was half Klingon, half Romulan.

Ziyal was half Cardassian, half Bajoran. And so was that baby in Covenant.

I can't think of any other characters who are two alien races without one of those races being human. We have K'elyhr, Troi, Naomi Wildman, Spock.

Why no half Romulan half Betazoid? Half Ferengi half Klingon? Half Vulcan half Pakled? Why do all the aliens always want to get with us and never with each other?

And why is it in pretty much every science fiction show, monstrous looking aliens find human looking women attractive? Jabba should have found Leia repulsive, and he should be lusting after slug women.

2. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Half-Romulans should be rare because they're not a very gregarious people with non-Romulans.

Half-Ferengi? I can't imagine what a half-Ferengi would look like. Maybe they're not as easily hybridized.

Pakled-Vulcan? That just boggles the mind....

3. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I have two ideas. One: half-human so that we (the viewers) could relate to them. Two: half-human so that they needed only bits of bumpy foreheads and not full make-up.

Or both.

4. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, for starters, there haven't been THAT many hybrids. (You also forgot Seska's half-Kazon baby). I would surmise that since most of the major characters on the shows (and even a good number of minor ones) have been human, that lends itself to most on-screen hybrids being partially human.

In one of the "Parallels" universes, Worf and Troi have kids, which would be half-Klingon, one-quarter Betazoid, and one-quarter Human.

Apparently, Saavik was initially meant to be half-Romulan (though whether that counts as two separate species is debatable). Apparently they were considering an idea of revealing T'Pol's father in Enterprise's fifth season to be Romulan as well.

5. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

We've seen so many Vulcan hybrids it's unreal, it seems to me. Vulcans must be all about the strange.

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because I would engage in sexy times with them.

7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is just another aspect of the fact that the show mainly deals with human characters from the human viewpoint... What Gul Re'jal says, only also in in-universe terms.

Obviously, even if the Trek universe were full of hybrids of all sorts, we would only ever get to see those who have ties to the human culture, because that's where the cameras are. And the most natural type of tie would be if the hybrid included human blood as one component.

Timo Saloniemi

8. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kirk has been busy. Weren't you watching? Delia in "Wink of an Eye" was undoubtedly a "quickie." It was so fast that viewers never saw it; only Kirk sitting on the edge of a bed putting his boots back on. (Nothing ever came of his romp with Androida, er, Andrea in "What Are Little Girls Made Of?")

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's why it was called "Wink of an Eye".

"Let that be your last Battlefield" was the bondage ep.

"Where No Man Has Gone Before", ALL slash started there.

I could go on.. just remember it was the 60's, one had to be more subtle.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The farther you get away from Earth and other worlds where there are lots of Humans, the more likely you'll encounter non-Human hybrids, IMO. In other parts of the Galaxy, it may actually be quite rare to see one.

11. Devo

Devo Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

England, Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
    It's all about the make-up. Make-up costs money and Star Trek was very cheap. :P

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty much my thoughts. Naturally, these are basically the same reasons why most of the characters are human/humanoid in the first place.

Oh, lordie. :lol:

13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Because we humans are horny bastards.

14. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

IMO, this is the most logical response. It saves money when trying to produce a TV program. Maybe the time is ripe for a new animated show so the same constraints are not there.

IMO, this is the funniest answer. You made coffee come out my nose, thanks.:rofl:

15. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I always thought it was because our DNA melded well with others.

16. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Because Humans are the sexiest race in the galaxy.

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Makeup is part of it but there are plenty of other makeup-lite aliens in the Star Trek universe. Any mixture of human, betazoid, bajoran, vulcan, hardly any makeup at all.

I think it might be a sort of hypocrisy in the show that the Federation is multicultural where all cultures are equal but humans are in charge.

Maybe Eddington is right about the 'assimilation' thing.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Humans are not "in charge". Remember, the last President of the Federation that we saw was a Grazerite. And there are plenty of aliens in the leadership of Starfleet and the Federation.

True, the main government apparatus is located on Earth, but who cares? The capital has to be somewhere...

Dude, you'd even go "mounting and finishing" with the Enterprise computer. :lol: ;)

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Nah, it means the show had a budget.

20. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Laziness and deep pockets more like it.....deep pockets and short arms.:p