2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lincecum just threw another no-hitter.

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lincecum threw 6 hitless innings against the Cubs earlier this year too before getting pulled. He's the shit.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

As far as I can tell, Tim Lincecum is now one of three pitchers to have multiple Cy Youngs and multiple no-hitters to his name, and is by far the worst of them (the others being Sandy Koufax and Randy Johnson). God bless the Padres offense.

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Seriously, should this no hitter really even count?

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm seen this comment around the internet and it's pissing me off. Of course it should count. A no hitter is a no hitter, and they were playing against a Major League baseball team. To discredit an achievement because of the team it was against is crazy.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

^ And of course the Padres make a convenient target, because it's "fun" to insult a team that doesn't win every single fucking game. :rolleyes:

7. Timby

The Padres have, by far, the worst offense in the league (they're barely north of the Mendoza line as a team), and got no-hit twice in a year by a guy who hasn't had an ERA+ above 78 since 2011. It was like Lincecum was throwing against the El Paso Chihuahuas. That lineup is extraordinarily bad. From a certain perspective, it's a shame they have Seth Smith; it'd be interesting to see how dismal they could get otherwise.

Edit: I mean, c'mon, this is just hilariously bad, as in "this is not a Major League offense" bad:

[​IMG]

We're allowed to laugh at them.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  8. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Calm down Francis, all said in jest.

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It's not like they no-hit the Marlins. Now they're a questionable "major league" team.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

And they're allowed to have fans.

11. Timby

And I'm allowed to laugh at those fans (while feeling sorry for them), too. When you're that bad, it's funny. [​IMG]

12. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Says the Cubs fan. :lol:

13. Timby

I laugh at and mock the Cubs, too.

Because if I couldn't laugh at them, I'd cry.

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Is the owner trying to Major League them or something??

:lol:

Glad to see my Beloved Angels finally showing up...

15. Timby

It's really hard to put into words just how horrible Kevin Towers' reign as GM was for the team ... and then just how much gasoline Josh Byrnes poured on the fire that Towers started. And now that Byrnes is out, Larry Beinfest has emerged as a candidate for the job. :lol:

16. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Padres pitching is so bad that they're literally giving anybody a shot at starting. I think they let that T-Rex out there last week.

18. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Isn't Binefest Jeffrey Loria's son-in-law? I remember reading that somewhere after he got into a shouting match with Joe Girardi in 2006, when the latter was the Marlins' manager. Girardi was actually fired during a post-game meeting, but cooler heads prevailed, and he was kept until the end of the season.

--Sran

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Samardzija & Hammel dealt to the A's.

So, how many more fucking years before the Cubs are gonna win now? 2015 isn't looking good at all.

Trader Theo has to keep some good veterans. How much is he gonna overpay for a front line starting pitcher when he realizes he needs one?

Or is he gonna go Florida Marlins and field a triple-A team?

20. Timby

Eh, there's a lot of potential there. The return they got from Oakland is really, really good -- Addison Russell is one of the top infield prospects in baseball (and his arrival will finally move Castro to 2B), and Straily is a good piece even if he's old. McKinney is a long way away. But they still have Baez and Bryant ripping things up in the minors, too.

If you're going to pay $20 million for a frontline starter, you don't give it to Jeff Samardzija, who despite his numbers this year just isn't a #1 ace. You go all-in next winter on some combination of Scherzer / Lester / Shields and try to flip one of your top prospects to Tampa Bay for Price (although Friedman turned down a straight-up deal of Russell for Price, so I have no idea what Tampa's looking to get anymore). Samardzija had made it clear that he had no intention of staying in Chicago given that he turned down a $17 million / year deal last month, and Hammel was always meant as a "pray he's really good for half a season so we can get a return on him" signing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.