Roddenberry's Worst Ideas

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ZapBrannigan, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Faria

Faria Lieutenant Red Shirt

turbolifts

emotionless aliens

pure energy aliens

alien who enslave starfleet officers to do gladiators (how many times happened? 3?4?)

and a ship were everyone is an officer

2. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

^What's wrong with turbolifts? And why would you expect aliens to have human emotions?

3. Faria

they both have no sense

4. Third Nacelle

Well that clarifies things.

5. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: That could certainly explain that grating pomposity that most of the crew tend to exhibit at least occasionally.

As someone who has very little patience with the preachiness of TNG, I have to admit I never thought they were being preachy about alcohol, simply stating that they had a similar tasting beverage without the intoxicating effects. Essentially, they just finally got near-beer right. ;)

6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    That doesn't really answer the question.

7. Faria

turbolift are a waste of space; emotionless alien are senseless because, well, i don't know how to explain it, it's more for internal coherence (vulcans seems to have emotions )

8. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

As a minor nit, according to Data, synthehol does have an intoxicating effect - just one that "can be easily dismissed".

Not sure how that would work, but there it is.

9. Third Nacelle

Turbolifts do take up space, but so does everything else. Space is not at a premium on a starship, there's plenty of extra room.

10. Belz...

So are bridges and bedrooms.

Hwo would you have them move about ? Stairs ? Transporters ?

11. Faria

stairs and corridors and normal lift, like today's ship (some are bigger than tos enterspise)

12. Faria

i would not waste space in a ship with a saucer section of 128 meters which had to host more than 420 persons

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yet none are as bizarrely shaped as the Enterprise. Getting from the shuttlebay to the bridge with only vertical lifts would require three or four elevator journies (two in the neck alone, owing to its angle) and a walk of about 200 meters. Not very good in an emergency situation!

Weird shaped ships need weird ways to get through them.

14. Faria

Yet none are as bizarrely shaped as the Enterprise. Getting from the shuttlebay to the bridge with only vertical lifts would require three or four elevator journies (two in the neck alone, owing to its angle) and a walk of about 200 meters. Not very good in an emergency situation!

Weird shaped ships need weird ways to get through them.[/QUOTE]

solution: reduce neck angle

15. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

No disrespect intended, but if you came from a family of abusive alcoholics and it was 1920, you probably would have thought the Eighteenth Amendment was a wonderful idea. It wasn't.

Space is at a premium on any enclosed vessel that has to support X number of human (or humanoid) beings within a finite volume, whether it's an aircraft carrier, a submarine, or a starship.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well there is an entire thread in trek tech about turbolifts.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=214087

Some argue the space would be better utilised by instead of wasting space by having turbolifts, wasting space by having coridoors in their place. Yet like artifical gravity the turbolift network is very robust. And instead of the seconds it might take someone to get somehwere to say repair a compenant before it blows via turbolift, they would have to run their maybe taking minutes by which time it's too late.

17. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

I don't see how Prohibition's failure is relevant to the issue.

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I did, and you're right about the eighteenth amendment. but put yourself in place place. If you were a disabled man (I am) and were beaten by a drunken brother (I was), you wouldn't want booze around you either. It's one of the reasons I don't drink and never will.

Of course, my brother (and other drunken relatives) also abused me verbally, but despite the fact that that was a hell of alot easier to defend against, it hurt just as much.

No, I understand that there are people who can handle alcohol and that's fine, but with my personal experience, I don't want it around me, and think that Synthehol would be a good thing (if it actually existed, that is).

19. Belz...

Why are regular lifts not silly and turbolifts silly ? I still have no clue why you keep saying that.

A solution to a non-problem. Seriously, you'd change the design of the entire ship just to avoid using turbolifts ?

This reminds me of the Magic the Gathering player who told me the worst thing ever to happen to the game was the change in typeface for the cards. :confused:

20. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

:rommie:

--Sran