STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of my favorite moments, yeah :techman:

I liked the Klingons. Hopefully we'll see more of them at some point.

2. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was happy that she was stronger in this one, but we still had to gratuitous butt-shot when she was approaching the Klingons. Took me out of the movie. Small complaint, but we don't need to be reminded Zoe Saldana is a beautiful woman. She shows that on-screen. I thought her performance on Kronos was great. From standing up to Kirk and demanding that she talk to them, to her conversation in Klingon with them, what was said about "honor," to the confusion over Harrison taking out every Klingon and the fear that was on her face when she approached the landing party. The suspension of disbelief during that scene was at an all-time high. I really enjoyed Kronos.

But I have a question, on another topic. Why would Khan put his crew in danger by not securing the torpedoes before he started killing people? And if they are launched, wouldn't it kill his crew? I mean, we saw the things explode, destroying the Vengeance. So didn't he put them more at risk by trying to kill Starfleet officers and NOT having the torpedoes? It's been a day and I wasn't thinking about it until this morning. So I am asking in earnest if there's something I missed.

3. HaventGotALife

I think we'll see the Klingon war in the next one.

4. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Spock had Actual Warheads put back into the torpedoes, when they took Khans 'family' out.

My question is, Why didn't Khan realize that there weren't any Actual People in the tubes at the point he beamed them over to the Vengeance... ? ...

5. gornsky

gornsky Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm not sure why people are so fixated on 4 or 5 lines, rather than the rest of the movie. It's like 2 minutes vs 130.

If I disinter your meaning correctly, you found the drama around Kirk's "age" dilemma to be the heart of TWOK. I felt that this movie looked at exactly the same thing from the opposite side.

In TWOK, Kirk has lost the Enterprise. When circumstances hand her back to him he's had a crisis of confidence and is making mistakes. He has experience on his side but is feeling "old". Then when they face the ultimate enemy, Kirk's native smarts and Kirkian "I don't like to lose" attitude kicks in and he snatches victory from the jaws of defeat. But not without great cost.

In STID, Kirk has lost the Enterprise. When circumstances hand her back to him he's had a crisis of confidence and is making mistakes. He has youth on his side but is feeling his inexperience. Then when they face the ultimate enemy, Kirk's native smarts and Kirkian "I don't like to lose" attitude kicks in and he snatches victory from the jaws of defeat. But not without great cost.

When Kirk says his "logical" sacrifice is "what you would have done", there's this distant echo to a future that will never be. When Spock says his outsmarting Khan by giving him what he wanted is what Kirk would have done, there is an additional acknowledgement that they actually understand each other better than they thought they did -- again resonating with future echoes of a future that, at that moment, will never be. I found it to be really, gut-wrenchingly sad (even though it was obvious this wasn't the final gambit).

I admit, that on first viewing I too was distracted by the repeated lines. It takes you out of the emotion of the scene, something you never quite recover in repeated viewings. But I can see that there is a dramatic symmetry that they were trying to achieve, and to a large extent, that worked beautifully for me. While TWOK is a slow, thoughtful, steady build, like a pulse, STID is an adrenaline-charged, enthusiastic roller-coaster -- but again, that suits the contrast of considered experience over youthful vigour.

The more you see the film, the more you appreciate the effort and heart this young cast is putting into telling this story from the other end of a legendary journey.

6. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps they cranked their industry up to eleven in response to the Narada incursion and/or the loss of Vulcan?

8. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I believe that arrogance and stupidity go hand-in-hand. This was exemplified when Khan didn't check the torpedoes. So, for me, this wasn't an issue.

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

[​IMG]
    Seatbelts in Filmation's TAS by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

11. ConRefit79

12. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

13. ConRefit79

14. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

James R Kirk

thanks gay gay abrams

15. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

16. HaventGotALife

17. ConRefit79

I'm still listening. I figured the title and picture was just a teaser to get people to listen. I thought they would say they love all of it.

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Make the terrorist more swarthy? :eek:

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

While I disagree with your first paragraph (vehemently), I don't think this is the right place for the discussion at this time.

That being said, Trekkies are now getting exactly what we want, a relevant and topical Star Trek that will be popular for everybody while still holding up it's ideals. Times are good!