So it's come to this-a petition to bring Star Trek back to TV...

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Shaka Zulu, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Some people have no idea of how the TV industry operates at all, or how TV is changing and that Star Trek can't just be brought back to TV like it used to be, so they do stupidness like this: CBS Television should create four new Star Trek television series

Personally, like most petitions at change.org, this will go by the wayside and die; anybody else think the same thing?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Four new series??!?!?! And all of them sound dreadfully dull.

I just want one good series. Not a prequel. Not a reboot. Nothing focused on Section 31 or Starfleet Academy or the Federation Bureau of Standards and Measures. Nothing focusing solely on the Klingons or the Borg. Not a palace intrigue set during the Betazoid renaissance.

Just a ship and her crew, whose mission is exploration. Set after the events of Nemesis. Long after. Where no one has gone before.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We live in a culture where if you just complain loudly and often enough you'll often enough get your way. Thus the complaints get more and more stupid.

4. Shaka Zulu

Well, you've got to admit, these concepts sound somewhat different from each other as to be...different from each other.

But what others here have said about Star Trek's chances of being on TV again in the current era is still right.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Stuff like this happens, and then some Star Trek fans wonder why Star Trek fans are such easy jokes in the media.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I can't help but chuckle evilly at that "petition". :evil:

7. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Although I can imagine a Klingon or Romulan series (it would be fun, but I doubt it would be appreciated by anyone but hardcore fans ... so ratings in the 1-1.5 millions MAX) I can't help myself what woul a Star Trek Borg series be like. I think it would be a new format, like 7 minutes episodes, where with an intro like (with spooky borg voice): " a new civilization has been discovered, proceed to assimilate". Than we would get about a 2 minutes intro, and 3 minutes of assimilation fight than one more minute showing the newly assimilated borgs. Maybe the season finale would be 14 minutes with the borg having a major conflict with federation, romulans or klingons, with a cliffhanger leaving them half destroyed only to come back next season ...

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Of those ideas, here are my thoughts:
    :klingon: - Yawn. They've been overused to the point where I no longer care about Klingon honour, etc. Leave them be.

:rommie: - Meh. I would like to see more done with the Romulans, but a whole series dedicated to them would be somewhat excessive.

:borg: - Boring. Each episode they go to a planet to assimilate, fight off a fleet and take the world, then move on to the next. Plus they were so diluted by VOY they aren't much of a threat anymore.

[Enter Smilie for Intel] - I have no interest to watch Trek spies, or anything about S31 in any future series (it worked in very small doses in DS9, but that was their thing).

I want a series that focuses on the characters, not the evil alien of the week, and none of those ideas does a thing for me. If it was a petition to show interest in getting Trek back on TV I might sign, but looking at it, to me, it looks like signing it means you want those ideas brought to the screen.

No thanks.

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It's just one Trekkie's personal wish list of what he wants to happen. Can't see this getting anywhere near being taken seriously.

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe I should start a petition to get the next Trek series based on the Border Service :lol:

11. Shaka Zulu

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing wrong with that opinion. The overuse of "angst" and "end of the world" stories is what drove me away from broadcast TV almost a decade ago.

Those stories have their place, but they are not "deep" or "meaningful", as some people would have you believe. They've become a joke.

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

After watching all three Mad Max movies, later imitations of the post-poxyclips world always failed to impress me. Not enough imagination or car chases. And no Vernon Wells.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooh... I got it. Star Trek: CSI !!! :p

15. Shaka Zulu

;):lol::guffaw::techman:

Oddly enough, the fourth idea mentioned is what the petitioner wants to see, but with Navy SEALS in space.

16. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or this concept:

"....Can two divorced Andorians share an apartment without driving each other crazy?"

17. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

One millionaire Vulcan approaching his first pon farr. Twelve beautiful bachelorettes. Only one will win. Tune in to see what happens this week on Kal-If-Fee Island!

18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Petitions are worthless. Online petitions doubly so.

CBS will make a new Trek series when they're good and ready, and not one minute before. Most likely after the final third movie, so we have at least four more years to wait for something. And it will be set either in the JJverse or a new universe entirely. The prime universe is done and will never be seen on the screen again.

19. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

Nah... Can a 22nd Century Andorian and Vulcan or Tellerite share an apartment?

20. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ That would indeed be an odd couple..... ;)