Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes season 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It makes marketing easier.

Unified T-Shirts and unified toy lines.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's a business thing. I gather that A:EMH is an outside production, and Marvel/Disney wants to bring it all in-house. It's similar to the reason why The Spectacular Spider-Man was dropped in favor of Ultimate Spider-Man. SSM was a Sony/Columbia production, but Sony/Columbia gave the TV rights for Spidey back to Marvel in exchange for keeping the feature film rights, so Marvel wanted to produce their own in-house Spidey show rather than continuing to bankroll an outside production. Or something like that.

Although IMDb says that A:EMH and USM have the same production companies, just different distributors. So it's a little unclear.

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

This stinks, I'm in Canada and the last episode I saw was the Ms Marvel episode. After that they started over from the Dr Doom one again! I've missed...what, 2 new episodes so far?

4. ByrdMan

ByrdMan Commodore Commodore

I'm in the theater right now waiting to see it in IMAX 3d. Hope it's worth the 11th bucks!

5. Guy Gardener

11 bucks for 20 minutes?

You're keen.

Or in the wrong thread.

6. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

I don't think its so much as them cancelling the show its just that it was planned to be a 52 episode series. I'm assuming by the end of season 2 that will wrap up the series. To capitalize on the momentum I'm sure they want to keep the Avengers on the screen in some capacity.

7. ByrdMan

ByrdMan Commodore Commodore

whoops! Well, I did post from my phone. Hard to read the thread titles!

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure that would have worked seeing as Ultimate Spider Man seems more Marvel Movie-verse than A:EMH.

On the plus side it means we get an Avengers show that Coulson might show up on it.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  9. Guy Gardener

Coulson vs Gyrich.

Bare chested, dripping in baby oil.

10. Christopher

Except that the Coulson of USM is a very different character from the live-action Coulson. Original Coulson is a cool, charming everyman and audience identification figure, while USM Coulson is more along the lines of your standard stern, humorless authority figure who serves as a rival/obstacle for the fun, cool protagonists and is often the butt of their jokes. They're pretty much complete opposites.

11. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I highly doubt that's the case, though maybe it's how they'll be expected to spin things.

Sucks to hear this news.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry to hear it's being canceled already. Is there any specific reason why this couldn't have been worked to fit into the USM continuity?

13. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

It's already aired episodes with markedly different takes on some characters, it's storytelling style is very different from USM (and much better, frankly), and, as others have said, it's not an in-house Marvel production, so at the end of the day it really doesn't matter if they could have accommodated those changes.

14. Christopher

Actually, on further investigation, I think I was wrong about that "not in-house" thing I said before. According to IMDb, both shows are collaborations between Marvel Studios and Film Roman Productions. And I've read that the writing on the back half of A:EMH season 2 has been taken over by Man of Action, the group of four writer/producers (Joe Casey, Joe Kelly, Duncan Rouleau, and Steven T. Seagle) who are also the main creative minds behind Ultimate Spider-Man. So the current, more serialized approach to the writing is going to give way after episode 13 to a more episodic approach and a renewed focus on the core team members.

I think that the approach to continuity among animated series is different now than it was before. Back in the '90s, all the DC shows shared a common continuity; the FOX X-Men and Spider-Man shared a continuity; and the syndicated Iron Man, Fantastic Four, and Incredible Hulk were loosely interlinked (though the Hulk series was inconsistent with the Hulk-focus episode of Iron Man). These days, though, the norm seems to be for every show to be in a separate continuity all its own. There's been no continuity among the post-DCAU shows from Warner Bros. like Teen Titans, The Batman, Legion of Super Heroes, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Young Justice, and Green Lantern: TAS. And of all the Marvel animated shows since 2000 -- X-Men Evolution, the MTV Spider-Man, Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes, The Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, Iron Man: Armored Adventures, The Super Hero Squad Show, Avengers: EMH, and Ultimate Spider-Man -- the only two that share a common continuity are W&tXM and A:EMH, and those only tenuously. (Although there was a bit in a recent USM episode that portrayed the Super Hero Squad world as an alternate dimension.)

So I just don't think it's part of the current mentality of animated superhero shows to have continuity or shared universes between different series. As a rule, every one is in a world all its own.

15. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So after today's episode we got a new version of Cap's Kooky Quartet even if was put together by the Skrull Captain America.

16. Christopher

This episode was very well-written. I haven't been too impressed with this show so far this season, but this one was terrific stuff. I loved the team interplay and banter in the diner and when they were kibitzing Carol's fight technique, and the writing of the climactic confrontation and the effect of paranoia on the team's cohesion was well-handled. And Skrull-Cap actually doing the exact opposite of what I would've expected him to do was intriguing. So far this season, I haven't liked the writing on Skrull-Cap; he's behaved so predictably un-Cap-like that I felt the Avengers should've caught on to the deception. But here he really got into the role, and I'm not entirely sure why he'd want to convince the team to stay together rather than just let them break up. It surprised me and made Skrull-Cap interesting for the first time ever.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

First off

-The article got the channel wrong, since they said "Cartoon Network", and it's Disney XD..

-I think people read it wrong. Some can be confused by the article mentioning "new comic" etc etc

Also it's more logical to think THIS series will run into 2013

18. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was interesting the direction this episode took. I think Skrull Cap is trying to play the long game here. I thought for sure this episode would end with the Avengers finding out he was the Skrull. It was nice seeing that wasn't the case, as I think the eventual payoff will be great.

I think it was a blunder on Tony's part to tell everyone that he got the information from Fury. If he suspected a Skrull, he just blew Fury's cover. I'm interested to see if Skrull Cap is the only Skrull on the team, as Tony did give pretty good reasons for most of the Avengers being possible Skrulls (though, I can't tell if it's a good tactical move for the Skrulls if Carol were a Skrull. On one hand, it brought her in contact with the Kree, on the other hand, she was around a Kree for a long time).

19. Christopher

I believe Fury said at the end that he expected Stark to blab everything, that it was a calculated move to get the Skrull off their guard by making them think they'd gained an advantage. So Fury intended his cover to be blown because the strategic gain was worth that sacrifice.

I have a hard time believing Carol is a Skrull. Her reactions toward Mar-Vell and the Kree just seemed too genuine.

So far, the heroes who've been replaced in the show seem to correspond to ones who were replaced in the comics -- Cap, Invisible Woman, Mockingbird. Looking over the Marvel Database summary of Secret Invasion, it looks like there was temporarily an impostor Ms. Marvel, but I'm not sure for how long. There was also an attempt to impersonate Hawkeye, but it seems to have been abortive.

20. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree it's unlikely Carol is a Skrull, but it's for that reason that I am not willing to say, for sure, she isn't. As I said, it would be a helluva tactical move to have her be a Skrull who was not only able to infiltrate the Avengers, but also was able to get close to a Kree).