Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by BillJ, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

You're not Dennis. I need more words. Why, "No?"

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

Why people come in to argue with a "I love this" thread I don't know, except they must get off on being negative. Do they think they will turn people away from their love of something? What will that get them?

I liked your list BillJ! Some were interesting because I hadn't thought of them that way.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

For me, it's about exactly what is in the movies. A sense of fun and adventure that has long been absent from Star Trek.

It doesn't mean I have virulent feelings about Berman-era Trek. I've been rewatching season four of Enterprise lately. Plus, I've been buying TNG seasons on Blu-ray disc as they've come out. Not exactly the actions of someone with virulent feelings about the material.

4. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: I like that.

We are all Dennis, and Dennis is all of us. :shifty:

Click thou the link in my sig, and find enlightment. And many, many words. ;) (More specifically there.)

5. teacake

Amazingly it is possible to love everything, with varying degrees of love. I love the universe and I have loved all the incarnations of it. Obviously I have preferences but I enjoy the universe itself. Like BillJ I started watching it with TOS years ago. It's all good, it all has weaknesses, it all has strengths. NuTrek captured a lot of what I loved about TOS, I remembering thinking when I saw 2009 that I felt totally catered to as a TOS fan whose emotions about TOS are all wrapped up in bonding with it at a young age. That I did not expect to ever happen! I felt like I should write JJ a thank you letter after I walked out of seeing XI for the first time.

I do not understand why some people make it their mission to prove me and other people who loved these movies wrong. As if these movies are objectively incorrect and we must be convinced of this. That's just weird.

6. BigJake

teacake is Deepak Chopra? It all begins to come into focus... ;)

Because someone disagreeing with you about a movie is obviously trying to suppress the brightest part of your immortal soul. :rolleyes:

7. teacake

That's not my point at all and you know it. This isn't a thread titled "what are the pros and cons of STID", it's someone's list of what they loved about it.

I get that you probably have some compulsive need to vent your hatescreed out into the universe every time you see someone post that they love something you hate. I do think it's pretty weird that you seem to think this is an objective truth you are proving. You can say it's "disagreement" but that's not how it comes across at times.

8. BigJake

Actually my post in this thread was mostly about agreeing with BillJ. It does help to pay attention.

(And you know, I joke about the Haterade thing... but it is a joke. And it's mostly a joke about the kind of preciousness that imagines any disagreement is "hate" and an attempt to steal and destroy one's joy. If you really find it possible to love everything, you should be able to achieve a more generous and honest understanding of motives than that.)

9. teacake

Don't forget to tell people to read your hate screed.. oh wait you already did that.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I have a complicated relationship with Berman-era Star Trek. Some of it I loved, other parts not so much. There are times when I definitely would've made different creative choices. But there's definitely enough entertaining material sprinkled through the various series to keep me coming back.

11. teacake

I think the sheer volume of it lends itself to a lot of clunky parts. The current era of tv where you get 13 quality eps a year is something I would love to see Trek do. You are just gonna end up with filler and waffling with the era of 23 eps a year.. but at the same time I am grateful for having so much of it. I mean geez over 700 episodes, we are lucky. I was heavily into Star Wars for a long time but one thing that made me wander off is you can only watch 6 movies so many times.

12. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with BillJ's post, except for one thing. The Spock scream bothers me, and I just realized why.

The build up of the reversed-parallel scene was almost right.

I think it would have worked better if Spock let the tension build in his face exactly like Shatner did in TWOK. But instead of the scream, he should have remained silent and then went on to beat the batcrap out of Khan. After his speech about choosing not to feel, releasing all the pent up emotion at that moment seemed a little soon.

Saving the outburst for later would have made it perfect.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, mirroring Shatner's "collapse" on his side of the wall would have been better. Then the Khan ass-whooping.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

And Nick Meyer has never seen Star Trek before getting the gig to direct TWOK,

The guys writing ST09 could get into it, so I'm sure that helped. Do you have link to Abrams' statement? I've seen one were he says he didn't "get it' when he saw it as child, admiting he may have been too young to get it.

14. BigJake

You can click that link any time you want to. Don't be afraid of your fascination... :evil:

Yeah, pretty much this. :techman:

15. teacake

That's an interesting idea though maybe too subtle.. but I think it would work, certainly Quinto could do it. I loved watching his build up to the scream.

16. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The tension of the build up, seeing the pain and anger in Spock's face, expecting the scream, then silence. That's drama. ;)

17. teacake

Yeah that would have been cool!

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes. All of this. *throws money at BillJ for some reason*

Also, the argument scene is still one of my favorites, because it's so true. I particularly love the part where Kirk's initial reaction is to stay out of it, but once Uhura's point hits home, he turns around with a "she is right..." :lol:

19. teacake

^Yes what I love about that is it brings home that okay, Spock and Uhura are having a fight but you know is not going to be left out of any commentary on Spock? Kirk :lol:

20. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

:techman::techman::techman::techman::techman: Great list. Agree with all of them.

Indeed.

Agree with both. :techman:

No. No it isn't. Next?

:techman: Nailed it.

Yes. :p