The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow. Well that played out differently than I thought it would. :( I got wind of some spoiler going around regarding a major death, and I was sure Shane was a goner. (He might still be, I'm suspicious about that new job that John Bernthal has; of course the producers would say it doesn't mean anything.)

Amazing how the zombies can sneak up on people when they really need to. Usually, they're shambling around and groaning and slobbering enough that a reasonably alert person in an open field should hear something...

Yep. What with those amazingly silent zombies, everyone needs eyes in the back of their heads.

And Darryl should be forced to return to the main camp or driven out of the group and away from the farm entirely. He's endangering himself needlessly - how is he going to fend off zombies in his sleep? And if he gets bit, it won't necessarily be obvious to everyone immediately. He's a zombie waiting to happen. If this group is willing to be ruthless about the possible threat posed by Raymond, why aren't they similarly ruthless about Darryl? They need to start thinking ahead about all potential threats out there.
    Yeah. :rommie: That's good because with Dale gone, Andrea is now the group's voice of reason. Bet she is glad now that she at least sided with Dale...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was this episode or not the first one where we learn what her profession was, an attorney, before the zombie acopolypse?

If so, I missed that in prior dialogue.

3. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

This also makes no sense to me. Why take a very successful show and screw with it? Idiots.

4. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

someone told me the entire budget cut was the salary of one of the writers in the first season. So production budget wasn't actually cut.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Did that someone happen to work for AMC?

There were huge budget cuts for season two. AMC was trying to be as cheap as possible for one of the biggest shows on cable.

Here is an article with more of an explaination.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/walking-dead-what-happened-fired-221449

6. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

It's also worth noting that Darabont reportedly went over budget several times during season one, and the first episode shot for this season was a disaster. They managed to salvage the highway footage and recut it with the second episode.

I'll also note that I think the season two episodes Darabont didn't have a hand in have been a marked improvement over the ones he did.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That's debatable. Many fans still consider season one to be the best season.

What we know for sure is that AMC slashed the budget for season two. Most hit shows don't have that problem until around season 5 when the ratings start to fall.

How much more will AMC cut the budget next season just so they can pay for that stupid Mad Men? Will the characters spend the entire season sitting in a room?

8. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I meant the season two episodes he didn't produce are better than the season two episodes he did produce. Sorry, should have been more clear on that.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'll agree, but it really couldn't have helped with AMC breathing down his neck while he started making season two. I imagine his work suffered because of that.

This season as been far less EPIC than season one. Frank Darabont was a big reason for that because of his experience working in movies. He always pushed for the show to be better than what it was. He was rewarded by getting fired.

Spending half the episodes inside the farm this season doesn't help at all. I blame that on AMC since that is one of the results of the budget cuts.

10. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

And yet one of the reasons commonly assumed to have resulted in Darabont's departure from the show was his insistence on attempting to salvage a broken episode while AMC was saying to simply move on. So far it seems like the only possible candidate for the episode in question was the premiere (which I thought turned out pretty well).

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

That seemed to be the first time I encountered that info, too.

12. DarthTom

So we learn that Andrea before the zombies was a Civil Rights Attorney. Perhaps that will play into her new role in the group with Dale's absence? Or perhaps it just usless trivia. LOL

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

First of all Carl is a little prick, I look forward to his death.

I have an issue with the death though? the zombie didn't bite him right? it dug its fingers into him and ripped his chest open :wtf: How can someone open up anothers person's chest with fingers especially a decomposed walker who clearly has little control over its motor actions. Dale was also a little chubby so your talking about extra layers of fat as well.

14. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not too sure about that either, especially since the thing was also straining really hard to bite him at the same time. Zombies can multitask? Who knew?

15. DarthTom

According to the 'zombie experts here it's becaues they lost their inhibitions that allows them to to this.

Ultimately though it's a 'suspension of disbelief,' right? Just like the one we employ in ST where the magical engineering solution of the week permits a problem to be solved one time is totally forgotten about 5 episodes later as a work-around to a similar problem. ;)

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Well I think I would struggle to rip open a person's chest more likely to break my fingers trying. Its a real cartoony death thats not needed in this show.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh, fingernails continue to grow after death, so, remember there are 10 little daggers also involved

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

They do?

19. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Actually no, they don't. One of the worst urban myths.

20. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Right. It's just that the skin of a dead body will tend to shrink, exposing more of the nails and making it look like they've grown.

On the other hand, if that happens to a zombie, the greater area of exposed nail still means they have a bigger weapon, so the end result is the same.