SigCat/Shaping a Cardassian: "The Lightless Ends of the World"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Nerys Ghemor, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I think he is. I haven't worked with him a lot, but I'm pretty sure.

2. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

GR: Love the title! I am sure a fitting story will come to your creative mind. :D

NG: .... you are not trying to tell me you want to kill of AU Damar at one point in time, do you? :wah:

TerokNor

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I often have difficulty expressing myself in these posts, so sometimes I wish I could just talk to both of you, rather than muddling my way through words like I do. Suffice it to say, I really enjoyed this. It was very well meshed - the two of you really work well together. :) Thematically, emotionally, etc, it made good use of both "sides" rather than just being a crossover "gimmick" (not that I'd expect either of you to do something as cheap as to labelled a "gimmick" ;)) I always suppose must be difficult to create meaningful crossovers, particularly when they necessitate an "only remembered as a dream/vision" ending for one of the two participants. This really pulls it off, though - it uses the idea of the crossover to explore the characters' concerns and "present" internal conflicts, using the "other side" to shed new light on each. It's a character piece and a piece concerned with exploring the thematic situations those characters are dealing with or living in, rather than an !Event! (which would, I think, be a far cheaper way of handling a crossover). You both of course have a real way with character, and of handling a lot of meaningful "weighty" concerns, without it ever seeming forced. It's all very natural.

I don't really know what else to say :lol:. I hope that's enough. It's one thing to say "I like it!", but I only hope I'm getting at least a fraction of the "why" across.

4. Nerys Ghemor

I was actually referring to a few other characters, whose deaths have already been established in stories already released. The memory of them, however, will live on...and in the story where the deaths occur, it isn't their end. They'll have a good afterlife.

I'm glad you liked it. :)

I have seen some "Big Event" type crossovers that worked quite well (and it can be fun to have a Round Robin like that, since sometimes only a "Big Event" can get EVERYONE'S characters together).

That said, the goal we had was very much a personal one for the characters, instead. That was determined from the outset. The other trouble was that I knew I had to do SOMETHING to AU Dukat's memory, but I didn't want to erase it completely. I'm glad it worked out! (Plus, I had also always wanted to write The Sisko's reaction to AU Dukat.)

I'm so glad you liked this story. Believe me...a LOT of blood, sweat, and tears went into it, on both our parts.

5. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Yes, I think that the fact we had a "reason" for them to meet helped with establishing a direction to which the story should go and a goal it should achieve. We had some surprises on the way, but we have survived, both the authors and the characters :)

6. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Gul, and Nerys...I have neglected untill now to read this work--and I now deeply regret this.

The two of you have crafted a deeply powerful story, filled with deep emotional conflicts and arcs. Stirring, at times tear-inducing...and while, at times, it seemed a little rushed (I'm not sure the good Gul would open up to AU Dukat so soon--even if he does resemble her former superior)--nonetheless, it is a beautiful piece, indeed.

My strongest compliments to you both. :)

7. Nerys Ghemor

While I was surprised, as we wrote this, at how soon Jarol opened up to AU Dukat, Jarol was very, very emotionally on edge because of how close she was to the anniversary of her family's death. Technically, she probably shouldn't even have been on duty that day--that's how physically and mentally exhausted she was after that terrible night she had. Basically, her defenses were down.

Oh, and just a tidbit from some other, less formal crossovers I've done. For some reason, I've noticed AU Dukat does have an effect on people. I'm not sure if he fully realizes it, through his own eyes, but I've noticed that people do seem to share what's on their heart, around him. Maybe in a much, much happier universe, AU Dukat should've been a bartender... ;)