Shipper war: Spock/Uhura or Spock/Chapel?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by DevilEyes, Jun 28, 2009.

?

Which pairing do you prefer...

1. Spock/Uhura

48 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Spock/Christine Chapel

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. someone else - I prefered episodic love interests who weren't part of the crew

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. I don't want Spock to have a love interest at all

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I forgot to mention this, but I am as one with those who are anti-love-triangle. If y-e-a-r-r-r-r-r-r-ning after the Unapproachable Male is a hackneyed plot device, which it is, then a love triangle like this is about as dull as ditch water. I'm rolling my eyes (see? :rolleyes:) and yawning just thinking about it.

2. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

Since I don't like the Spock/Uhura thing to begin with...I'm obviously in agreement with Kate's statement...Oh lawdy...please no love triangle!! Hey I have an idea...why don't we turn Star Trek into a romantic comedy? Yeah that sounds just great!!! :shifty:

3. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Love triangles are usually terrible, especially when they're dragged out and then they are allowed to take center stage. They usually end up being tedious, boring, and making everyone involved unsympathetic or pathetic. They've almost ruined some otherwise great TV shows (Lost, season 3 of BSG).

I never found Chapel or Rand interesting, so, while I wouldn't mind brining them back (as long as they are a little updated so that they wouldn't be completely pathetic), I'd much rather see new female characters introduced.

There are already other women on the bridge. I noticed one of J.J.'s favorites, Amanda Foreman (from "Felicity" and "Alias") as one of the officers on the bridge. She had maybe one line. Maybe we'll get to see more of her.

[​IMG]

4. The Comedian

The Comedian Captain Captain

Not as far as I know, and the all-important factor of Kirk/Spock has been ignored as well.

5. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, this is certainly a first...

I'm shipping a popular pairing! :guffaw:

6. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: Indeed. Kinda refreshing? :lol:

7. teya

Very! :)

8. JustKate

Ye gods, Teya, you're...you're...mainstream!

9. teya

OMG! That sounds so.... normal! :guffaw:

10. JustKate

There, there :: pat :: pat :: It'll be OK.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If we can't have S/K in canon, then at least S/U is interesting. S/C? Bleh. She's totally not his type anyway. :p

12. diftorhehsmusma

diftorhehsmusma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

and why not? she's blonde, isn't she? (Well, okay, mostly....)

by the end of the series i was pretty miffed about the fact that they always seemed to put spock opposite blonde fluffcakes. kirk gets the occasional brunette. us redheads are always the green girls, who are usually some kind of crazy. (it's actually sadly common that if there is a character, in anything, that needs to be a bit round the bend, that person usually has red hair. crusher is a noteworthy exception but i suppose that's for another board.) are we to infer something from this?

but i like the thing with uhura, (aside from the fact that if spock did have a type, i imagine it would be brainy) if only because not only do we have a white boy kissing a black girl (oh noes!!!! :p) but they are from different planets as well! on that level it can be seen as a little yarn about how it doesn't matter what your background is, love can cross all borders.

ooh, i think i just gave myself a cavity.

13. JustKate

:lol:

14. LeahBoBo

LeahBoBo Commander

I disagree. The changing effect of the timeline would (and did) have sweeping (and subtle) changes on the lives and actions of all the characters. It is not hard for me to accept, and believe, that S/U's relationship began and evolved at SFA. The way the scenes between them on the Enterprise played out just reaffirms my thoughts on the subject.

I disagree again; however, you are correct that they are different people. The brief exposure we had to Spock's life on Vulcan seems very different from what we knew of Spock's interactions with Sarek, or the way he viewed his human heritage on TOS. Because we were not privy to the relationship between S/U beforehand, what we did get to see from Spock on the Enterprise was satisfactory (IMO) to all points of view.

That said, S/C is a non-factor for me. I agree with the person who said "been there, done that." I want a whole new Star Trek experience, as a matter of fact, I'm looking forward to it. Rock on, Spock and Uhura.

15. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

I voted the fourth, as it should be Spock/Saavik.

16. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No offense, but that's kinda boring, not to mention a little icky.

17. DevilEyes

More than a little icky :rommie: and boring at the same time. :vulcan:

18. diftorhehsmusma

alright, i'll bite the embarrassing bullet - who is saavik?

19. DevilEyes

She's a character from TOS movies, played by Kirstey Alley in STII: The Wrath of Khan and Robin Curtis in STIII: The Search for Spock and STIV: The Voyage Home (Alley wasn't available so they just changed the actress). She was a Vulcan (a half-Romulan according to some sources) Starfleet officer and Spock's protege. I can't say more without spoiling the movies.

20. diftorhehsmusma

ah. i have not seen those since i was a little kid, and of course i didn't understand a damn thing that went on. kirstey alley? really?? wow. what, did she dump 'trek' for 'cheers'? ha!
    thanks for telling me and not picking on me for being a n00b. but, uhm, why would it be icky?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.