Full Circle Review Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Kirsten Beyer, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

The Super Brando posted this link to Trekmovie.com's review of Full Circle in another thread. I figured that since it had been four or five minutes since we had a new Voyager thread, we were losing ground so here goes....

http://trekmovie.com/2009/03/19/library-computer-review-star-trek-voyager-full-circle/

My favorite quotes...

"...Far from being a re-hash of the Voyager that many of us found somewhat lacking on television, Beyer's take is excellent, meaty fare and is one that really demands your attention..."

"...Beyer offers a character-driven story with enough drama, intrigue, suspense, and humor for three or four novels, and did something I never imagined doing with a Star Trek: Voyager book: she created one that I simply drank in, reading the final four hundred pages in one night..."

And....we're off...

Kirsten Beyer

2. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

Well it sounds like it's going to be a very enjoyable read and a good way to continue the series, I'm looking forward to it even more after reading this. (Just a shame It won't be out in Britain until May!)

3. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Great review, very much looking forward to the book (having lost interest in the Voyager series after the second or third season). BTW, how is Afsarah pronounced? Is it "AF-sarah" or "af-SAR-ah"? Sounds Middle Eastern... Persian, maybe?

4. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Well that sounds cool.

Damn.

The one annoying thing about switching to Kindle? The paperbacks ship earlier than the Kindle version. I caaaan't waaaaiiitt!

5. MilitantJaneway

MilitantJaneway Lieutenant Red Shirt

That is a good review.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  6. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

Sounds great, Kristen. But if it doesn't have Voyager's characters in it, please call it something else. Star Trek Delta Quadrant springs to mind.

;)

7. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

^ But they all are in it, aren't they?

Anyway, good review. I'm really looking forward to this book. I can tell it will be epic.

8. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Edit: never mind. This is a review thread; I'm not going to carry over other arguments in here. AuntKate - I replied in the Bring Janeway Back thread.

9. Square

Square Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well, from what managed to read over at Amazon, I'm digging it.

I'm stoked that a certain character I hate seems to have either died or quit, so WOOHHOOO!

Two more weeks....

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

amazon says it's shipping soon. I'm looking forward to it.

11. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

Emphasis on the first syllable...AF-sarah.

All 8 of the series regulars who returned from the Alpha Quadrant are in it.

Kirsten

12. Square

Square Lieutenant Red Shirt

And Mark, Carla, and Libby aren't, at least not in any significant way. I'm content. :techman:

13. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can i pick this book up and read it without having read any of the other voyager relaunch material?

14. brcarthey

brcarthey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^my understanding is yes. KB provides all the necessary past info you will need for this book.

15. joyofvgr

joyofvgr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It would probably be better if you did read the other reluanch novels, but I've heard that it's not really necessary. Supposedly Kirsten provided enough detail that you can follow the story without having to read the other books. It's been a few years since I've read them anyway and I barely remember them to be honest. I think it will be a while longer before I ever read Full Circle, if I even read it at all.

16. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can definately read "Full Circle" without reading previous relaunch novels. I haven't read any of them, as they came out before my tenure with TrekMovie.com began... but that backstory is provided so that you get to know what you need quickly.

While I can't really comment on the previous books, I can say that this was an outstanding read... (but, if you have read my review, you already know how I feel) and given that it was a Voyager story and I tended more towards Voyager-hating, that says a lot.

Rob+

17. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can't wait. Glad to see there are good reviews so far. I went ahead and ordered my copies for both Spirit Walk books. I know you don't have to read them now but I would like to know some of the new crew at least first before reading Full Circle, since there is plenty of time til the new TNG novel comes out.

18. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Full Circle arrived from Amazon on Friday. As soon as I finish Shards and Shadows and Over a Torrent Sea I'll be ready for it -- although I might save it for my upcoming beach vacation at the end of April. I need some beach reading, and FC is enormous. Just the ticket!

19. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

NO sign of it in my local bookstore. *sigh*

20. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

I'm gonna check my local Borders and Barnes & Nobel this week to see if they may have it.