Has TNG Been Remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Kamdan, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

DVD resolution is 720x480. 480 lines of resolution.

D2 Digital Tape, the format TNG was mastered to and likely the format WGN has in its tape vault has 486 lines of resolution, 720x486. I was actually just playing a D2 tape for a client yesterday and despite it being composite only, it looks damn good.

There is a lot of misinformation out there on up-scaling. There are very poor and very high quality ways to get it done. How much money is spent generally determines that outcome. Some TV stations cheap out and some spend more money. WGN obviously got something of high quality to broadcast the SD content in their HD channel and we're seeing that with TNG.

A lot of blu-ray players have very high quality scalers built in. Much higher quality than a standard DVD player even with component or HDMI outputs. I'm not aware of any TV set to this day that can match the quality of high-end scalers in some of the premium blu-ray players out there.

of course it will never increase the original resolution, but it can do good enough a job to make it look at least as good as it did on a SD tv, just larger.

2. el Chalupacabra

el Chalupacabra Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Even if they do re-release TNG on bluray, I am not going to buy it. I have all the trek series on standard DVD, and I dropped some coin for that. And you know what, it looks fine in an up scaling dvd player. Yeah, its annoying that I don't get a full screen, but it really isn't that big a deal to me. I have a 42" screen, and even in the standard format, it's big enough.

Ugh, I went through this already, when I upgraded from VHS to DVD. :rolleyes: I am not going to re-buy episodes I already have (some of which I have already seen 10+ times), just so I can see them in bluray.

The only thing I would consider re-buying on bluray, is the feature films.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

In Europe, it's 720x576. Curious if American Trek DVDs are lousier, or if it doesn't matter.

I think you'd want to buy them if you see what a HD remastering of TNG looks like. I'm sure it'll look pretty amazing.

4. el Chalupacabra

el Chalupacabra Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh, I am sure it does look wayyy better. I just can't justify the expense, because I am sure if\when they come out, it will be $150+ per season.

5. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

yeah the PAL discs would have to be 576 @ 25fps, since the show was mastered in NTSC D2, it was likely upconverted for the PAL dvd set.
    If this was done through a device such as a Teranex, the difference would be negligible.

I would buy TNG on blu-ray after it had been out awhile and the prices went down. I just got season 2 & 3 of TOS remastered used and saved a bundle.

6. JarodRussell

TNG would be so fucking awesome on blu ray.

They'd be going from this:

[​IMG]

to this:

[​IMG]

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

They'd be stretching the page all out of whack? Well that would suck.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

But an effective demonstration...no visible lines of resolution and 1920x1080 pixels...this image on here is actually smaller than that.

[​IMG]

RAMA

9. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they do this, and they decide to create new CG effects, whatever. If they do this and they don't... whatever. I just want TNG to look and sound as excellent as the TOS blu-ray sets do. The detail and color are astonishing. I would love to see the modern Trek shows presented like that.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well that means a total "remastering" along the lines we are suggesting.

11. JarodRussell

The spaceships have all been shot on film, and they are of excellent quality, as the above image shows. So if they redo all the VFX with crappy CGI, I won't buy it. The CGI in TOS-R was an enhancement over the blurry and noisy VFX. But CGI certainly won't be an enhancement over the TNG effects.

12. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

The ILM farpoint &opening sequence effects would look nice yes but I doubt the rest of the effects would hold up very well at 1080p especially any with the 4ft model.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The effects will need to be redone for 1080p... not just because of quality, but for the sake of introducing more variety into the sfx.

14. JarodRussell

Err... who made the rule that it needs more variety in the VFX? I'd rather have the exact same shots over an over again from the original run in the quality I posted above, just like they have been in the original episodes, than a thousand different new shots in TOS-R quality.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just a personal preference. I've seen all the episodes many, many times and would like TNG to receive the same reworking the TOS received.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

You don't get it...as many still have not...the CGI was understated to LOOK like it may have originated out of the 1960s, except executed with computers. It was not meant to look like crisp, state-of-the-art ST:Enterpise FX. STNG would have FX appropriate to the "modern age". They would most likely even have higher detail than Enterprise.

RAMA

17. JarodRussell

Ugh, please don't get me started on ST: Enterprise CGI...

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Point being they are the most up to date and in HD of all the ST franchises...whatever your personal opinion is of the series(the very same series that was nominated for 7 FX emmy's including 3 in one year, and also nominated for 4 VES awards in 3 years, winning 3 of them!).

RAMA

19. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I probably wouldn't buy it if it wasn't reimagined with CGI. The model work is great for the age (and I'd like them as an option) but a lot of the model space scenes seem so empty compared to CGI renders. DS9's WOTW really pushed the model work to its limits.

20. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Hey, as long as it isn't the same 6 or 7 shots they used through the series, bully.