Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Bluejay

Bluejay Lieutenant Red Shirt

Bummer, easter eggs? *slaps head* Okaay, I think I remember I read something about that. ... I'd better go dig up my B5 dvds. Funny I'd think there are no outtakes. Must be getting old. :p

2. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

3. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I better mention that my best friend let me borrow his B5 DVDs. I've only just started. i've seen the first 3 episodes and i can say that i already like them. Can't wait to see more.

4. Damask

Damask Commander Red Shirt

Damn it, I'm going to buy the complete box set. I better like this! ;)

5. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Are you in the US? If so, you can try hulu.com, first. That way you can see the firt two seasons without risk.

6. Damask

Nah but from what I read I should be okay.

7. Neroon

Any questions, just fire away. There are a couple of good websites to use as resources, as well

8. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

i dunno if ive posted this before

but i have to thank you guys for telling me to stick with B5

i honestly struggled with it in S1 after i had just watched the sopranos/the wire season 1

it is now my favourite show

thanks.

9. Damask

Okay I'm just going through Season 1. It's okay. It has a cohesiveness in a series that I really like. The episodes just appeared standalone at first but drop hints that are followed up.

Haven't really got to an episode that has completely hooked me yet. Well maybe the "Signs and Portents" one. Haven't seen the last two yet.

Some characters are better than others. G'Kar (who I think I love) and Londo (?) seem more interesting than the Minbari ambassador.

Have to say I really applaud the creators for trying to get some non-human lookalike aliens in. The Black Market dealer for instance.

Also like that the station is more like a city and there's parts that "respectable" people don't go and parts where the commander isn't even recognized. Good stuff.

10. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I lent a co-worker's wife my DVDs and she's supposed to be finishing with Season 5 today. I wish she's email and let me know her reaction!!

Jan

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That sort of ends up being a failed experiment when it comes to Babylon 5. JMS was never happy with the non-humanoid alien designs (witness his response to the insectoid character you've mentioned, as well as the Ape-man bartender in the pilot), and they're (as far as I can remember) completely dropped by the second season.

12. Damask

Interesting. I still admire the attempt though.

Okay finished season 1. Last episode was good and really got me in the mood for the second season. Only I had a look at the cover and there's a new commander? Hmm..okay.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The changeover from Sinclair to Sheridan is a long, and oft-disputed story. It's incorporated into the plot, and Michael O'Hare returns to the series in three more episodes to close his storyline (I won't say when, it'll ruin the surprise).

By the way, I think that "Revelations" (the second episode of season two) is one of my favorite episodes of the series. The first episode of the second season is only okay--they were still working out the kinks with Sheridan and Warren Keffer (who is a tertiary character, in the end).

14. Damask

To be honest, I didn't find Sinclair to be that interesting. I'm not sure if what was the actor or the character but he seemed to be lacking something compared to Ivanova and Garibaldi and others.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

He does end up being awfully one-dimensional in a lot of scenes. Once you get past the mystery of what happened to him on the line, there's not a whole lot to the character. I don't think Straczynski really knew what to do with him outside of that. When the opportunity (or the studio ultimatum) came down for a change in command, Straczynski certainly wasn't against it.

16. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Well over the weekend I watched all of season 1 ... and was rather cool. G'Kar would be my favourite character so far from the show. But was impressed when I saw some of the names that were part of the writing staff. Might watch season 1 again, before moving on to season 2 sometime next week (when I can get it)

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Don't get too attached to those names in the writing staff. Outside of one script by Neil Gaiman in the final season (and two story by co-credits with Harlan Ellison that season as well), Straczynski wrote every episode of the series himself in seasons 3-5, along with most of the scripts in the second season, as well.

18. Neroon

Precisely, Alpha. In case anybody is interested, I've attached an episode guide, that includes among other things, the writers for each episode. I've pulled all of that information from "The Lurker's Guide", incidentally.

Attached Files:

19. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Nice list, Nerroon! I particularly like the inclusion of the directors.

Jan

20. Neroon

Much appreciated, as it is indeed a labor love. One of several, actually.

Incidentally, the brief descriptions are lifted from Lurker's as well. They're concise yet contain enough information for someone to recall the episode. I figured, why reinvent the Starfury?