Voyager Books

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by illidian, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Really?! He was one of my favorite new characters haha.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The reason you don't remember him, teacake, is probably...
    He dies during the Borg invasion, in Full Circle.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh! Thanks KingDaniel!

4. Captain Kathryn

^^Yeah but he is in like...a bunch of the previous novels! And in Full Circle.

:(

I think I only remember him because 1) I read the novels really recently and 2) because I pictured him being an awesome Trill like Dax...a really smart, kind, and good-looking person. :lol:

5. teacake

Ah now I remember. He was cute.

I don't have any standout characters from the books that were original (non show) ones. The Andorian in the DS9 books irritated me.

I'm happy to see your avatar again Captain Kathryn, I always love that pic!

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Kirsten Beyer is seriously the PERFECT person to continue Voyager's narrative beyond the series itself, as is quickly made evident if you look at her background. She spent a good chunk of her life being a 'pitch artist' and familiarizing herself with Voyager and its characters to such a degree that I daresay she knew and knows the show and characters as well as if not better than some of the people who actually worked on the show and with its characters on a weekly basis.

7. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

I agree, in Children of the Storm got almost dizzy from trying to remember who was who on the other ships (ha the character list was at the end of the book), and ended up skipping much of what one (boring IMO) character did, lol (thankfully less of him in The Eternal Tide). Some new characters on Voyager is one thing; more new ships and more new characters (tho Capt. Farkas is ok) is another. Would've liked to see more minor Voyager TV characters showing up in the books (besides Icheb and Vorik); surely a few would have been in the Voyager crew again after they got back to the AQ.

8. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

(Trivia: I have a FB acquaintance named Bea Farkas, who is Hungarian; and she says Farkas is the Hungarian word for "Fox." She was pretty pleased as a Trek fan to hear there was a Captain Farkas/Fox.)

9. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

When it comes to Voyager and Kes in those books:
    No, she don't die at all.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  10. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree that she is a terrific writer and I did actually appreciate "The Eternal Tide".

My only problem, now when Janeway is back is that I miss the good, old crew from the early books. I can read books like "Homecoming", "Evolution" and "The Eternal Tide" and find them good and enjoyable. Then I re-read "The Black Shore", "Marooned" or "her Klingon Soul" and think: "Yes, this is what I really want!"

I guess that's one reason I've begin to think about Voyager as a lost cause and have started to look forward to something new. A new ship with some likeable characters.

I wouldn't mind to see Kirsten Beyer as the author for a new series. My only objection is that I don't want it to take place in the Abramsverse.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It won't. Due to somethingorother (reports are contradictory), there aren't any novels set in the new movie continuity coming any time soon.:(

12. jaz'a

jaz'a Vice Admiral Admiral

I hadn't picked up any of the latest voyager books by Kirsten Beyer, but this thread inspired me to give them a go. I'm half way through Full Circle (I think) now.

I much prefer the writing to what we got from Christie Golden in homecoming, which was the last Voyager book I read. That book convinced me to give up on Voyager books entirely.

My problem is that half way through the story stopped entirely and moved to something else. I gather at this point events in another Star Trek book took place. I found it very distracting and it completely broke my enjoyment of the book as I tried to work out what I had missed. Once I did, things got better but I feel like I have to stop and go read a TNG or DS9 book to really appreciate the story. Is this normal for star trek novels or is it just this book?

I don't mind referencing to events in other books, but the break in the plot when it happens is annoying.

13. teacake

My biggest Trek disappointment :(

All the relaunch books suddenly CONVERGED and were smushed together and you were against your will reading all about Will Riker (gag) and his stupid Titan and all kinds of other people who you would have never heard of unless you had been following every bit of treklit for the last 7 or so years. It sucked.

I haven't got the patience for that. I read DS9 and VOY but against my will I was forced to read TNG and who knows what else while reading the latest VOY books.

14. Captain Kathryn

Yeah I agree I dislike that they are all intertwined now. I prefer them as standalones. :(

I'm reading Jeri Taylor's VOY book "Pathways" now. I'm only about halfway through. I like that it takes place in the original timeline with the whole crew, but there are way too many chapters about Chakotay for my liking.

15. teacake

I thought you were a J/C fan?

I enjoyed Pathways, even the characters I'm not that fond of had good stories. I particularly liked 7's which as I recall went
    something like..

"My mother schooled me on our ship. For my birthday I had a cake. And then the Borg came." Hilariously and sadly short.

16. Captain Kathryn

I am a J/C fan. But I prefer when they are together. Not as interested on rehashing Chakotay's backstory. Eh, maybe that section seemed longer than it actually was? But that has nothing to do with my shipping of him with Janeway. I was incredibly happy with how their relationship evolved in FC and The Eternal Tide. :lol:

I am enjoying the book though! I didn't mean anything negative about it.

17. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  18. Sophronisba

Sophronisba Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I liked Pathways, although I really preferred Mosaic (Taylor's book about Janeway's backstory). But the framing story in Pathways is better.

19. black_dranzer

black_dranzer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah I also preferred Mosaic (especially the audiobook since it had Kate Mulgrew reading it!) - although I did enjoy Pathways as well, some of Janeway's back-story was just heartbreaking!

20. roseake

roseake Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was extremely happy with Ms Beyer's development of J/C in her novels! I was initially worried about it all becoming rather OOC but she doesn't seem to have done that with any of the characters (at least none that has been glaringly obvious).
    I hope we get some more of Tuvok in the new books, we only saw him for a short while in FC.

Has anyone else read the excerpt? What do you think of how this book seems to be set up?