Mr. Selfridge - Anyone else watching?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Tom Hendricks, May 15, 2013.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I haven't watched Downton Abbey or anything else like that. However I have been watching Mr. Selfridge and I consider it fantastic tv, in fact one of the best shows I have ever watched. The acting is amazing, across the board. Jeremy Piven is great as HG Selfridge. If you get a chance and like Downton Abbey kind of stuff, I recommend watching it.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a very odd show - Piven seemed to wander in from an entirely different show - one where he and his choppers shared top billing and chewing the scenery was the order of the day.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I think it is a wonderful show. Selfridge was indeed a very different character---a true PT Barnum type that really stood out in London--or anywhere else, for that matter.

Oddly enough, I think this is actually one of the most subdued performances Piven has given; I always think he's a bit over the top. However, he's a perfect match for the character, as the real Mr. Selfridge was nothing but over the top, at least for his time, anyway.

I find all the little aspects of the store really interesting--perhaps because I worked retail for so many years.

4. Winged Victory

Winged Victory Captain Captain

It's my appointment TV Sunday nights. Great acting and I love the period. Worth watching just for the eye candy! (Piven, the waiters, the French guy, ooh la la...:drool:)

5. auntiehill

The season finale is tomorrow; I can't wait to see it!

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you guys had the paradise yet? If you like this, you will like that.

7. auntiehill

Don't think so. After checking Wiki, I can't say it sounds familiar. I'll keep an eye out in case it pops up. Thanks for the recommendation!

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I hadn't heard about this show until now. I love Jeremy Piven and the premise sounds interesting so I'll have to check it out when I get the chance.

9. Tom Hendricks

It's well worth the watch. So if you get a chance to see it, I highly recommend it. I have the last episode on the DVR, probably won't get to see it for a few days and its killing me.

10. auntiehill

I still have only watched the first half of the season finale; the rest will have to wait until tomorrow.

But one thing is for sure....Mr. Grove is a total bastard. :klingon:

And clearly the actress who plays sweet Doris is pregnant; I find it amusing the way that boxes and mannequins magically appear in front of her. :lol:

11. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think the show needs a bigger wardrobe budget, Women like lady Mae would only wear the same dress a few times,yet she's wearing the same thing all the time.

12. auntiehill

OK, finally watched the last of it.

WOW. I felt really sorry for Rose; I knew it was coming but to have it happen right in front of her daughter was awful.

I like how they ended it, with Harry getting that grin on his face; clearly, he has a plan.

So, the next season skips ahead a few years and puts us in WWI. That will definitely ratchet the drama up a notch.

13. auntiehill

I hadn't noticed that. We've seen her in green, gold, white, purple, etc. But she does always wear those ridiculous hats, as made fun of in the play.

The one who I think has the limited wardrobe is Rose. She's Harry's wife so you'd think her clothes would be fantastic. However, 9 times out of 10, she's wearing a white blouse and long while skirt. Seems kind of dull.

14. Tom Hendricks

I finally watched the final episode today, it was so good! My favorite line was "This is a department store, not a dictatorship." So much going on, especially with the King visiting the store.

However I was really disappointed in Mr. Grove and what he did to Miss Mardle, I thought he was more honorable man then I guess what he is.

15. Winged Victory

Winged Victory Captain Captain

Me too! He could have let her know before she found out from Daisy. Pretty heartless what he did.

I can't wait for next season! :)

16. Tom Hendricks

Even worse when he suggested that they could continue their trist while he would be married, just unbelievable.

17. auntiehill

At least Miss Mardle had the decency to realize how wrong that was. Kudos to her for that.

I'll repeat my earlier comment that Mr. Grove is an utter bastard. I fear for poor Daisy's future.

18. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think Lady mae kept wearing a blue dress all the time.
    I do wonder how many of the male cast will make it though the war, and did the warehouse men who were stealing get caught?

19. auntiehill

^Yes, the waiter Victor turned them in but saved Georgie by stopping him from going to the loading dock that morning. That happened several episodes back.

I have a feeling that Georgie may not make it through the war. As to Victor, I can't say. I hoping he comes back with more determination and perhaps more resources than before. But I imagine a lot fewer males will be staffing the store.