How about a "trapped in the past/future" Trek?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Kooz, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Kooz

Kooz Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's been really fun, and interesting!

2. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There have been claims, true or not I've no idea, that Robert Hewitt Wolfe initially pitched a new Star Trek series, in which a single Fleet ship is somehow sent forward in time and struggles to rebuild the collapsed Federation. This concept was allegedly turned down by the executive producers, who disliked the idea of the Federation falling.

Wolfe later developed the core idea into Andromeda, incorporating some ideas (and the name Dylan Hunt) from a couple of Gene Roddenberry's projects, Earth II and Genesis. As such the series was known as Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, even though he had no personal involvement in the series.

3. st.barthgirl

st.barthgirl Lieutenant Red Shirt

Veddy interesting. Loving the trivia, thank you!

4. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm all for it but I'd sure like it to involve a Timeship. Maybe a damaged one or some nonsense like that so the show doesn't become formulaic. Like, I don't want a show where a Timeship travels around and just fixes whatever every episode. But I DO want a show about a Timeship in some form with limited time travel capacity and a struggle to get it working again(with dire consequences if it doesn't).

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I'd have to vote NO on this one, because where do you really go with it?

You can't be trapped in the past, because then the crew knows too much about what's going on, their tech can magically solve any problem they need, etc Not exciting, and no drama.

So they'd HAVE to be trapped in the future. And after a few 'fish out of water' episodes, how do you keep it going? They'd adapt, or disappear and there's no show. So why not just set it in the future to begin with and skip the time travel?

Plus, no less than a billion ways shown to time travel in Star Trek, so how do you make it convincing?

It's an ok episode or two-parter, but it's not a series...

6. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

A ship trapped in time would only work if they kept bouncing between eras and alternate universes, never able ti find their home time and timeline: Sliders Trek. If they visit the past, their knowledge may be worse than useless, because Adolf Hitler was a humanitarian who brought about world peace and ushered in a new space age, or Gandhi led a revolt that ended up turning India into the Asian powerhouse, conquering most of China and SE Asia. Thoughtless comments based on their knowledge of their history get them in trouble.

Or they pop into a future war where the Vulcan's are conquering the Romulans...

But I think a single character out of time is more interesting, the Captain America trope. A main character out of time has been done, but still has value in a series.

7. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I dunno. I tend to see the ship as the main character.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Sounds like Time Tunnel Trek to me.

You mean like Buck Rogers, who fell asleep in 1928, and woke up in the 25th century? Captain America didn't show up for another 12 years.

9. Darkwing

:lol:

You mean like Buck Rogers, who fell asleep in 1928, and woke up in the 25th century? Captain America didn't show up for another 12 years.[/QUOTE] How many kids realize that? "Buck Rogers" means "some old sci-fi dude" to a lot of them nowdays.

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Sadly, I'm now so old that younger people are holding doors open for me. :wah:

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They already tried the Lost in Space route with Trek and we ended up getting Voyager. That just turned into TNG-lite after a while.

What makes you think it won't happen with this new kind of show?

12. Darkwing

That's no reason to decline to discuss the idea.