Dexter

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I would be too if I had Showtime :(. Darn it. Now the wait begins for it to come out on dvd.

2. 46379.1

46379.1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This very last conversation (from last season 5 finale) becomes more real now

Dexter: But I want you to be happy.

Deb: I am. I'm happy. You must be too, Now that this is
    all over, I mean.

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

now you know how I feel when it come to my shows on HBO:

1) Game of thrones
    2) True Blood
    3) Boardwalk Empire

but if you ever get a free weekend or special for showtime check dexter out on HD demand that's what I do for my HBO shows.

we are only hours away from a new serason. can't wait want it now.

4. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just saw the Season 6 premiere that was leaked on-line and without giving away any spoilers, EJO and Colin Hanks's interesting performance aside, it doesn't give me a lot of hope for the show's future.

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I saw it too, I kind of feel like it was been there done that territory with those two characters. The new theme Dexter begins to evaluate does interest me though.

6. Obiwanshinobi

Yeah I saw it too, I kind of feel like it was been there done that territory with those two characters. The new theme Dexter begins to evaluate does interest me though.

7. timothy

there is a new book coming pretty soon called double dexter.
    maybe there following the books agin.

8. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish they did that -- they have those 'free' weekends, and all they tend to be are previews... the channels don't seem to come in often. Stupid cable company. They're pretty incompetent when it comes to those things.

9. timothy

there is a web site called crackle you can watch it there though they do block out the nudity on it.

10. MichaelDornFan

MichaelDornFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was trying really hard to remember what Season 5 was about. I honestly couldn't remember until the season 6 premier's "Previously on Dexter" recap. That's how blah it was.

Totally not digging the CGI eels or w/e those were. Am I watching Showtime or SyFy?

11. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I watched the first episode but I think I may put this season on hold until I'm done watching Nu-BSG. Too confusing having the same actor playing Adama and a serial killer. :lol:

The episode itself was OK but you can rarely tell much by the first episode of a season of this show.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  12. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Maybe Adama was a serial killer. Who's to know?

13. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose this will be the thread for episode discussion.

The premiere episode was definitely notable for its entire lack of pretense at plausibility. How can Dexter be sure no cops will show up to investigate the crime? How does Dexter get the blood samples from beneath the wife's fingernails, especially since no one noticed them? Did he go to Virginia and dig her up?

It seems to me the show has increasingly focused on rewriting the character and thematic content, turning it into a simple vicarious enjoyment of vigilante justice, not much more complicated than the Charles Bronson Death Wish movies. Even on that level, the show needs to make Dexter earn our admiration, instead of just letting us "enjoy" kills handed to him by the scriptwriter.

I thought the departure of Clyde Phillips might lead to a radical decrease in the show's quality, and it appears the idea might have been correct.

14. Obiwanshinobi

Just got done watching this weeks episode. It was a step up from the premier, but a little of the same old, same old. Glad to see Deb finally getting some "character development" with her job promotion though.

15. TigerBait

TigerBait Captain Captain

i dont know what the gripe is about, IMO season 5 was just the style that was needed following the intense ending to season 4. and so far, season 6 has carried the torch, as both episodes 1 and 2 have been fantastic.

ep 1 with the school reunion was excellent, loved the new characters introduced...even if they're just one-offs. ep 2 with debs promotion and marriage proposal took the cake. and i love what they're doing with ALL the main characters, from matsuka with his intern, to batista getting shafted, to laguerta and her blackmail...god i hate her (just as i'm supposed to).

i tend to look at each season as part of a continuing overall storyline, and dont get caught up in 'which season is better' debate. there is something to be appreciated about each story. and folks that just want to trash the show, we'll please come up with constructive arguments as to why you trash it at the very least.

16. Obiwanshinobi

I just realized the intern is played by the speedster from Heroes, Brea Grant.

17. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Episode 3 was really great. And the actor who played the old man immediately was familiar to me but I couldn't place him. I got him from the credits at the end and plugged into IMDB and it turns out he played Captain Jellico in TNG's The Chain of Command 19 years ago.

18. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^Ronny Cox, isn't it?

Out of town, got back just in time to DVR but found I didn't have enough interest to go to the effort of getting out a blank DVD and putting it into the machine and pushing Rec.

This ship has sunk and I'm swimming for air.

19. timothy

I thought the third episode was pretty good. I enjoyed how the new guy put his foot in his mouth with deb. and dexter killed one of his childhood hero's.

20. MichaelDornFan

MichaelDornFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Haha, yes! He was also the bad guy in Robocop and Total Recall. :lol: