So, I met my first slew of Trek stars

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure some of you local Bostonians attended the convention we just had in town this weekend. This was really my first convention where I got to meet a few of the actors from the various shows. I couldn't have had a better time.

The convention itself was a little small, but there were many panels in the auditorium featuring many actors from the shows.

I just wanted to share my experience in meeting the actors. :)

Brent Spiner
    Brent was such a delight. I've seen him on various panels on YouTube that other fans recorded and am well-aware of his wisecracks and humor. When I got over to him, he was on his iPad and said to me, "You don't mind if I just check email real quick, do you?"

"No, of course not," I said.

A moment later he said to me, "Actually, I really brought this because I wanted to take pictures of all the freaks here. You don't mind if I take yours, do you?"

So after that, we spoke for about a minute or two. I told him how I thought he'd be a great addition to Curb Your Enthusiasm, to which he agreed. Then went into this story about how he actually knows Larry David.

So keeping his "freak" comment in mind, after we fist-bumped, I was about to walk away, and then said, "Oh, wait, now I remember where I saw you. You were C3PO, weren't you?"

"SHHH! Don't tell anyone that!"

Brent's a great guy and I really liked talking to him.

Marina Sirtis
    I can't say enough good things about Marina. She was an absolute sweetheart. I went to get her autograph when the crowds died down a bit. When I met her, she asked me my name and what I do. She then proceeded to chat with me for almost ten minutes. She loves to talk. She even gave me a few tips about the voice-over business, since that's a career path I want to get into.

My friend and I ran into her again later on. We took a break from the con and as we were coming back, we caught her out front smoking. I actually approached her and asked her for a cigarette and she was happy to do it. I said, "I don't smoke, I just want to out on Facebook that I bummed a cigarette off Marina Sirtis." She laughed and spoke with us for a few minutes before having to get back inside.

I absolutely loved meeting Marina.

Levar Burton
    Levar was also pretty awesome. Right away, he'd fistbump you and treat you like you were old friends. We spent most of the time talking about relaunching Reading Rainbow.

Michael Dorn
    Michael was pretty quiet and didn't have much to say. He seemed like a really shy guy.

Rene Auberjonois
    Rene was really cool. I told him I had a long-lasting appreciation for classic TV and mentioned that I caught him on an episode of The Bob Newhart Show. He laughed and said, "How old are you, anyway?" When I told him I was 27, he said, "I can't believe you've even seen that show!"

Nana Visitor
    Nana was really sweet and happy to talk with me. Like Rene, she signed my DVDs. Great, great lady.

William Shatner
    My buddy got a photo op with Shatner and he asked if I wanted to be in it. Even though the photo op was really quick, I managed to talk to Bill for a few seconds. He was seated between the two of us and I jokingly said, "So, I'll just sit in your lap?" To which he laughed and said, "And what would you like for Christmas?!"

Here's a few pictures of what I had signed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brent's signature.

[​IMG]

Levar's signature.

[​IMG]

Marina's signature.

It's funny, I brought this phaser toy with me to show a friend and had no intention of asking anyone to sign it. But as I got in line for Brent, I thought of it. Then ended up getting all the TNG stars there to sign it.

Overall, I had an awesome time. It was great to meet the Trek actors for the very first time.

Really looking forward to the next one.

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Congratulations! It sounds like you had an amazing time in Boston! As fans, we're truly blessed to be able to have an opportunity to interact with so many talented and wonderful people. That's really cool that Marina gave you some pointers that may help you with your career.

--Sran

3. Amasov

Again, I can't say enough great things about Marina. My favorite moment of the weekend was during the TNG panel, Shatner served as moderator. And because Shatner was being Shatner by interrupting and taking things over, Marina got up and smacked him in the head. :lol:

4. Captain Clark Terrell

That's hilarious! I've heard Spiner can be somewhat snarky during those panels, usually because he's asked a stupid question by an audience member. Did anything like that happen this time?

--Sran

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I hate you. ;)

6. Captain Clark Terrell

Hatred is irrelevant.

--Sran

7. Amasov

Nope. Nothing like that happened. I was expecting it when someone asked him what his favorite episode was, but he didn't do that. He was pretty genuine on stage. It was great to see him banter back and forth with Shatner.

The entire TNG cast ganged up on Shatner and didn't really let him run things. Shatner pointed out how much fun they were and Brent said, "We're only this much fun now because we have a victim!"

:lol:

8. Captain Clark Terrell

:rommie:

--Sran

9. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha, that's terrific! I've always been curious as to how Shatner gets along with the TNG cast (aside from Stewart, which is well documented). Great to see such good fun they have together.

I've never been to one of these conventions and I'm feeling like I really should, before cast members stop going to these.

10. Amasov

Levar brought the house down with something he said to Shatner. I'm having trouble remembering the context, but I think Shatner had brought up working with James Doohan and, again, Shatner being Shatner, he wouldn't let Levar finish what he was saying, so Levar just screamed out, "HE'S DEAD, JIM!"

11. Amasov

Well, Shatner also mentioned that he's in the process of editing a recent documentary he made where he talks about the first two years of TNG and interviews each of the castmembers.

I'm looking forward to seeing that one.

12. Captain Clark Terrell

:rommie:

--Sran

13. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Good one. :guffaw:

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Glad you had a good time!

I agree about Sirtis. She is my favorite convention guest. She's hilarious, and very blunt. She doesn't hold back at all.

:techman:

15. Amasov

She is. During her and Levar's panel, a few people got up to leave because they had photo ops to head to. Marina calls them out, "Where you going?!"

16. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I've met her several times. My favorite story (which people are probably sick of) was sitting with her at the Friday night cocktail party.

She went off on Stuart Baird. A five minute rant on how inept he was, how he didn't even like Star Trek, etc. She talked about how he walked out on her first scene because she was arguing with him.

Last year when I saw her I reminded her of our conversation and told her how much I appreciated her honesty. She said "My mouth gets me into a lot of trouble."

17. RXTT

RXTT Lieutenant Red Shirt

That is awesome! I have never been to a con, but when I do I hope it is as exciting as your experience!

18. Captain Clark Terrell

Her comments about Deep Space 9 have rubbed people the wrong way, too. Sirtis is a great actress, but her professionalism leaves much to be desired at times.

--Sran

19. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I could definitely picture that. :rommie:

His interviews with all of the other captains last year was terrific, so I wouldn't be surprised if the TNG documentary turns out well.

I read up that the Star Trek Creations group had Stewart originally scheduled but had to bail, so Shatner came in his place. While Stewart would've been great, I'll bet Shatner spiced it up even more. Apparently the same combo will be appearing in Vegas this August. I just wish I'd known about the Boston one--could have actually driven to it.

20. Amasov

Frakes was supposed to be there also, but he had a last minute cancellation. Brent mentioned to me he had a directing gig in Florida.