time travel movie "Looper" from Dir. Rian Johnson

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, May 7, 2010.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering the fact that Bruce was ready for Gordon to whack himself, you have to imagine that there's a little predeterminism involved.

2. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I'm looking forward to the film, but I'm hoping there is a LOT more to the film, because the central premise being about the future mob sending people back 30 years just to be executed looks STUPID BEYOND BELIEF if one spends a minute looking at the implications.

Is sending people 30 years in the past is really the best way for the mob (looking like the peoples liberation front of Judea) :-) to whack someone? How can they be sure? Why not A) kill them right there in the future to be sure or at least B) kill them before sending them back, if disposal of the body if the major concern. Still, using time travel for disposal... Is that the best use of the tech - really???

I have been looking forward to the film a lot, but this trailer has dampened my expectations.

3. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

The trailer looks interesting and there seems to be some creative camera work which is always nice.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The reason they send people back in time is because everyone has tracking devices implanted in their bodies. If somebody is killed in the present, the police will know exactly who did it. So the mob sends people 30 years into the past, where the tracking devices won't function.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I was already interested in this movie but I'm really interested now that I realise it's from the maker of the brilliant Brick.

I wouldn't have thought of JGL and Bruce Willis as an obvious pairing to play the same character at different ages. But they've done a great job in making Joe look like a younger Bruno (with better hair).

6. nvek86

7. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

The domestic trailer, which is even more amazing.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-WawPqjiu8[/yt]

8. nvek86

Oh yes, that one is a lot better, I like it.

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

In HD. Looks gorgeous. Looper is now my most anticipated movie of the fall.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iQuhsmtfHw[/yt]

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this is looking pretty good.