DS9 Film(s)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by DS9, Mar 10, 2011.

1. DS9

DS9 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Anyone ever tease the idea if they were to do that? Obviously if they were to make a DS9 film it would have happened already YEARS ago, but every time I think about this it just bothers me, because a DS9 film would have been AMAZING. I am not sure what they could have done with one. It would have been kind of cool to do something that occured after the series, i.e. Sisko coming back to "reality" from being with the Prophets, Odo maybe coming back to the station, they could maybe show O'Brien's life on Earth and him coming back, etc. These are just somethings that I think could have made for an interesting film.

There are reasons I guess why a film wasn't made. The Next Gen "franchise" I guess you could say, reigned the 90's and early 2000s and overshadowed DS9 and therefore were the only movies made during that time. There is also the fact that DS9 wasn't as popular but I believe that instead of them making 4 NextGen movies I honestly think they could have made 2 Next Gen movies and 2 DS9 movies or something like that. There are enough fans of DS9 that would have went out to see DS9 films. Personally, that's what I would have liked them to do. There are only 2 good NextGen films anyway.

What do you guys think? Would a DS9 film be possible? Do you think they could have really made one? If so, what would be some good plots for possible DS9 films?

2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, there wasn't. There wasn't even enough TNG fans that bothered to see their last two films and TNG's audience completely eclipsed DS9's. There was never going to be a DS9 movie, because it wasn't a popular enough series and because the writers just plain weren't interested in doing one. They had a story to tell, they told it, it ended and there was no need for a movie. There were loose ends, but some of those were intentional.

DS9 ends with What You Leave Behind and I'm happy with that. I wish TNG had ended with All Good Things. I wish Babylon 5 ended with Sleeping in Light.

3. Rom's Sehlat

Rom's Sehlat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Odo returning to the station for a big reunion Julian is throwing for everyone. The movie opens with Odo getting a message (somehow) while in the Link. It takes him several hours to reassemble whatever matter was associated with the concept of liquid Odo as we know him. When he gets back, (he'd lost track of time, to account for why all our actors are now 10 years older...), he's been gone for 15-20 years (take your pick). O'Brien's a old-middle-aged professor who can tell you the inner workings of anything requiring electricity to operate. Bashir's a still-young-looking doctor who still operates on patients injured in fights at Rom's. Nagus Rom makes a cameo appearance to collect his "tribute" or whatever it can be called from his brother Quark who still runs the place. Kira arrives from Bajor on the Defiant, commanded by Sisko. Lt. Cmdr Ezri Dax serves as the first counselor on a Defiant-class vessel. Jake arrives from the transport from Earth with a message from Commander Nog. He will be arriving on the USS Valiant where he serves as XO. But the Valiant doesn't arrive. Jake uses his reporting skills and contacts to learn a few things about the Valiant's surprise "detour" to Romulan space. Various starships previously stationed all over Federation space have been all assigned to a certain star system at the back side of the known Romulan Star Empire. Sisko is reluctant to chase all the way there, but Ambassador Worf pulls weight and gets Sisko assigned to the same task of infiltrating Romulan space. Worf is unable to attend the civilian boarding of the Defiant himself, but manages to be the gang's contact with what's happening in the Federation while the mission is underway. Apparently there's a new civilization that blinked into our existence in this part of the Beta Quadrant. They appear to be friendly, but...

That's as far as I got. I was trying to keep this serious and not just part of that fun "What if" thread, but that's where I got my inspiration.

4. DoBa

DoBa Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just don't see a movie working with the DS9 formula.

5. DS9

DS9 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Sure, ok. It is interesting to tease around the idea of there being a film though.

6. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could do a buddy action-comedy.

Odo returns to DS9 and finds out a Ben Stiller played villain is planning to flood Bajor with new improved space crack. But Odo's kicked off the case because he's inflamed Kira's sciatica with his by the book, justice ahead of all attitude. He is forced to team up with the most unlikely partner - an ex-crook turned businessman, Quark the Ferengi. They don't get along, he's got a stick up his butt and Quark's a loose cannon, but soon realise that to get the job done they need each other. Together they go after Stiller in a hilarious no-holds-barred romp of destruction and mayhem. Look out for a cameo by Will Ferrell as Morn the loveable barfly who speaks rubbish and often at an inappropriately loud volume.

7. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just don't understand the desire for a Star Trek movies. :shrug: TOS, sure, that show ended before its time and didn't have a proper send-off, so I can understand why they chose to do movies of that show. But TNG? TNG was a big success, it had a proper finale and it didn't need to be turned into a film franchise, but it was. Now, I can enjoy all of the TNG movies on some level, but even the best of them wasn't as good as a great episode of TNG. DS9 making the leap for a film franchise makes even less sense since it was semi-serialised and focused on the characters, and those two things wouldn't have come across well in any potential film.

I've seen people on this site saying that Star Trek should never return to TV and should remain a film series as that's what it's best at, and I just don't understand the sentiment. Star Trek is a TV franchise for the most part and that is where its best work is contained. At least, in my opinion it is.

8. DS9

DS9 Lieutenant Red Shirt

[/QUOTE]
    I've seen people on this site saying that Star Trek should never return to TV and should remain a film series as that's what it's best at, and I just don't understand the sentiment. Star Trek is a TV franchise for the most part and that is where its best work is contained. At least, in my opinion it is.[/QUOTE]

^This is just silly. I agree with you Trek should remain a series and I highly anticipate the next show, if there ever will be one.

I also respect your point of view about DS9 films. :techman:

9. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

The DS9 story ended with the final episode. There was no point in a movie after that - the story was over.

10. Tulaberry whine

Tulaberry whine Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As much as I love DS9 and think out of all the modern series only it had the depth, scale and vision for a kick ass movie, I have no real desire to see any more adventures - I think just about everything that needed to be said (as opposed to could be said of course) was told during the show's run.

I also think making movies brings with it a boatload of problems with the studio and leaching execs much more likely to get involved in all sorts of things. Just look at the way the TNG movies were made: random ideas that market research had found to be popular were tossed together with everyone involved hoping for the best. As a result, none of the Frankenstein-ish TNG movies hold up to either repeat viewings or any sort of scrutiny.

If a DS9 movie were ever to be made I doubt we'd get the show on a grander scale. Of course, that doesn't mean a prequel set during the Occupation about Kira's personal war against the Cardassians after the death of her father wouldn't be glorious on the big screen if done properly! ;)

11. Neoshade

Neoshade Lieutenant Red Shirt

i read the first post and im only on season 5. DS9 has been spoiled for me.

v___________________v"

12. heavylids

heavylids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree. You know what they say, all things must come to an end. And DS9 had a great ending. Why fuck with it?

13. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I do agree there won't ever be a DS9 film. However, a part of me has a wishful desire for more people to know about this amazing show and a film may be a way to re-introduce DS9 to the masses.

14. Isadorabelle

Isadorabelle Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think the show told a great story and ended at a great point. However, I would've loved to see a movie. Or, maybe some kind of mini-series that explores different sides of the Dominion War plot. I think that would've been really interesting.

15. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think a lot of the desire to see another TNG film or a DS9 film or a Voyager film or whatever is that even though the story may have been ended satisfactorily, fans still miss the shows. And it seems more likely that we'd get a chance to see these characters again in a one-off film than in another series. I don't think it's so much of "man, I wish DS9 was a movie" as it is "man, I wish I could see some new DS9."

That having been said, I agree with the above sentiment that Trek is just not at its best as a film franchise. Trek's roots are as a TV series, that's where most Trek stories have been told, and that's certainly where Trek's best stories have been told. TNG didn't work as a film series, and neither would DS9.