Lost Fifth Season Finale: "The Incident"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, May 13, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

79.6%
  2. Above Average

14.6%
  3. Average

2.9%
  4. Below Average

1.9%
  5. Poor

1.0%
  1. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Damn, that was a great episode. All about the god-damned Jacob, all of the time, at long last. :bolian:

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Regarding Juliet's odds of survival, they may just have gotten worse. Elizabeth Mitchell's series V has been greenlit by ABC - it's a limited series, but she's the lead actor and if it does well, it will probably go to full series. So it's a mixed message - not at all clear whether it would impact her role on Lost - and anyway, it sounds like a cool series with a great cast so I'm happy whatever happens.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Mikhail got shot by a fucking harpoon.

That being said, I'd imagine Sayid has problems, since Jacob is dead now and can't heal him.

4. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

I suppose they could do it that way, but I kind of doubt they will. I'm inclined to think that the time travel was largely a plot device to get the Losties back in Dharma times so that they could be a part of important events in the Island's past. I don't know that it'll necessarily play a big role next season. I'm thinking that maybe the nuke going off will just transport them back to the present, and the rest of the final season will be Losties + Others vs. Jacob's rival in the present.

While there's something weird with Desmond's memory, other than that, I don't know that there are necessarily different iterations of the timeline that change. Yes, Faraday said that they weren't supposed to be there, but Faraday is the one who was trying to *change* things. I assumed he meant that Jack, Kate, and Hurley weren't supposed to be there because their being there was already part of history, and Faraday was trying to change history. When Faraday was dying, he seemed to realize that nothing had actually changed, as he realized that his mother killing him was something that was already part of the timeline, and she had known that would happen to him throughout his life.

With regard to the Incident, it looks like the Swan going crazy and magnetically attracting everything is exactly what happened in the Season 2 finale. I assume that was the Incident. The nuke then goes off, but remember, it's only "part of the bomb", not enough to kill everyone on the surface, just enough to temporarily contain the "pocket of energy". I assume they still end up having to install the system with the button, and that everything plays out like it always did. In Season 2, Sayid even comments on how much concrete surrounds the Swan, and that he hasn't seen things being so reinforced by concrete since "Chernobyl", which I think is a hint that a nuke had gone off there. So again, I think the nuke going off was always part of history.

I mean, I could be wrong. Maybe they did change the timeline. But that doesn't fit with how TV shows, including Lost, normally handle such things. The nuke going off is one of those classic cliffhanger mysteries that usually ends with nothing of consequence changing. I think Juliet is probably dead, and the nuke may have somehow transported them back to the present, but other than that I don't think anything will change.

5. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Watched it again with my 8 year old daughter who loves this show. She jumped up and down shouting "I knew it!" when Locke was dumped out of the box. :lol:

Something that struck me this time around was the lying that fauxLocke was doing to Ben at the beginning of the episode. This guy sure is a deceiver.

At the end, as Ben is examining the tapestry, Jacob asks if he likes it and remarks it took a long time to get the threads in place. It finally dawned on my marble head that the threads he was weaving were the lives of our Losties and guiding them to the Island. Wonderful imagery.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I saw the teaser again and noticed that Jacob is wearing a white shirt and his beach buddy is wearing a black one.

7. I was just watching the finale again and it really struck me, Ben is still the 'leader', only the leader can request an audience with Jacob, and thats why "Locke" had to convince him and bring him in, had "Locke" gone in alone, no Jacob would have appeared, so not only does he need Ben to do the actual killing but he needs Ben just to make sure Jacob even appears.

8. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

I read someone on TWOP calling him Un-Locke. Which as nicknames go is pretty cool.

9. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent. I love that I never know what's going to happen and that it continues to surprise me (pleasantly).

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Hmm...interesting observation, although Richard wasn't too keen on seeing Ben again.

11. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

:lol:

How about calling him Notcke? :bolian:

12. NumberSix

NumberSix Lieutenant Red Shirt

13. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Ugh, to look or not to look. This is gonna be a tough wait.

14. Alidar Jarok

I generally only follow producer's comments. I try to avoid everything else. Where are these spoilers coming from?

15. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I'm starting to wonder who exactly wanted that runway built in season three? Was it Jacob or Esau? It seems to fit with Esau's plans of bringing the Oceanic 6 back on the Ajira flight. Could Esau have been posing as Jacob and tricking Richard with his own instructions?
    Jacob didn't necessarily cause that to happen, though. He may have saved Sayid from becoming the topping.
    You calling Jacob toe-jam?
    We did. Locke.

16. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not terribly revealing. Between the flashbacks and fake people walking the island, it doesn't really tell you much when they say you'll see such and such person again.

17. The Nth Doctor

Whoa. I never made that connection. That is, the Others built the runway in season 3 so the Ajira could have a proper landing. I thought that whole thing was something that was completely forgotten about but in fact proves the writers have been planning this out for a long time.

I LOVE this show. :D

18. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, when they landed on the Hydra island, I realized that the runway was the one that was dug. I wouldn't go so far as to say they planned that out from season 3, but I think someone realized at some point that it was a great idea to use it (solves a mini-mystery that I just assumed was going to be left as only something to bring Kate and Sawyer together).

19. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

See what you get for being away from us? Yeah, Ben had the runway built so that he could have a fairly safe landing in the future.

Yeah, they probably didn't plan it that far back but they made great use of an existing story point.

20. The Nth Doctor

So true. :lol:

Stop bursting my bubble! :scream: