New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by neoworx, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The Starfleet Delta is a trademark, so CBS could crack down on them for that if they chose to.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Come to think of it, hasn't this very site has been told by CBS not to use the Starfleet Delta emblem in its graphics?

I wonder if they'll let it slide this time.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Well, Trekweb uses it, so they're not THAT hard-assed about it.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

That cover is a huge improvement over the first one.

5. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just bought the revised version on Amazon... we'll see what got fixed!

6. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

I almost hate to open this can of worms, but that photo does appear on birdofthegalaxy's Flickr page... Not sure who did the restoration or if any credit was given of course; just FWIW.

Also (and I'm so not fixated on this subject) that particular photo to me is the most obvious example of Shatner's hairpiece being visible on camera anywhere. The way the back is combed seems to clearly show the actual hairline, and the lighting makes the piece in front appear a different color. There's a thread in another section about Trek's forced perspective sets and how they were often shot from incorrect angles that spoiled the illusion; to my eye Shatner's hair was clearly not meant to be shot from this angle. Perhaps so early in the series they didn't know any better.

When I saw the revised cover, I recognized the photo immediately for that reason and thought, "They didn't really use that shot for the new cover, did they?" Honestly this book is so perplexing to me on so many levels (artistic, technical, factual, ethical, business, etc.) I can't figure out whether to buy it or not.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Holy crap, I'm not buying it again.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Since you've already bought it, let us know. I won't be picking it up.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I, too, would like to know what is different. Do the revisions go beyond typos and grammar such as factual corrections? And if expanded then what's been added?

I have to say that despite its issues I quite enjoyed the first volume overall. The revised edition is also a paperback, perhaps to save costs. Will the forthcoming Seasons 2 and 3 be paperbacks as well?

10. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Despite the issues, I enjoyed the first release as well and don't see myself buying it again.

11. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

I also just ordered the updated edition. Receive date is Dec 17/18. Interested to see what has changed.

12. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

Having followed this thread from the beginning, and having learned of the new series of books and the surprising amount of editorial errors (not to mention the borderline call on ethical practices) behind the first edition released, I have to wonder if Trek BBS will/is serving as editor-in -chief for the revised edition set to be released.

I knew more about TOS than anybody I had ever met face-to-face, growing up. I still retain most of that knowledge four decades later. But I have to admit, I am literally blown away by the knowledge and writing ability (and obvious intelligence) some of you that participate in this forum regularly demonstrate. The love for Trek bleeds through, even when critical thinking and conjecture is at play.

If I were the guy that released that 1st edition, knowing the following TOS has, I'd be sniffing every available forum just after its release, knowing that the knowledgeable life-long fan base would be at work reviewing it and bringing to light any errors, aside from any satisfaction I'd be looking to derive from the effort.

Far as I'm concerned, I'd bet that you all ARE acting as a clean-up crew of sorts if this guy IS actively digesting feedback on the errors and looking to correct matters for the re-release. And of course, there will be no credit handed out....which is commensurate with the whole picture-usage-thing so correctly pointed out earlier in this thread.

13. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I've noticed a couple odd typos and non-memo underlinings in the text that seemed to come out of nowhere and be accidental. As for the Trek-history errors I'd have to rely on those previously stated by members here. At this point between the Poe/Justman/Solow/Gerrold works I feel like I've read 4 different versions of how certain things happened and now this one with a lot of input by John DF Black.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Despite some flashpoints over the years I value coming to the TBBS to discuss or even just lurk with fellow fans. No, we don't always or often agree, but the wealth of information shared is amazing. I've even managed to become at least civil if not more friendly with a few individuals I used to argue with.

15. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

^That's an odd effect of having a fight with somebody - sometimes you end up understanding each other and maybe even liking each other. I've had it happen more than once on message boards.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

And I, for one, am glad I didn't buy it the first time. The paperback was what I was waiting for in the first place.

Of course, I expected to have to wait a year, but whatever works.

I hope the books on seasons 2 and 3 are simply released this way.

17. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The new cover isn't using the starfleet delta. It similar in appearance, but it's has clearly different proportions that the actual trademarked delta.

18. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It would be nice if I could download that to read on my iPad.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You should be able to read it through the Kindle iPad app. :techman:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.