what's your local weather?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There have been a couple of genuinely dangerous winter storms we've had around here. When I was 5, there was a storm so bad that it was covering cars up to the window level. And on Christmas of 2009, I distinctly remember walking down the middle of the major street near my house, snow up past my knees, because Walgreens was the only place open and I really needed a frozen pizza.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Shit.

It's New England and we are having the coldest winter in 50 years. Now there is 12-18 inches of snow on the ground and ice everywhere.

Fun.

3. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Damn straight.

4. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering that we're over 5 feet for the season...and the season aint over, 7-8 inches is just a minor nussiance.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    My area got just under 50 inches of snow about four years ago at this time but the average temperatures weren't quite as low as they've been this winter and we got more breaks of sunny weather in between storms. We've also had some really, really nasty and dangerous black ice storms that sheeted everything in what looked like glass and took what seemed like ages to melt off.

Given a choice I'll take several feet of snow over black ice anyday for pretty obvious reasons. At least with snow you know what you're trying to walk on.

6. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

We stopped by our local Aldi's for milk, after a day at the Veterans' Administration. It was a madhouse of people expecting THE APOCALYPSE!! A few inches of snow and people here go crazy... :cardie:

7. mari

mari Captain Captain

Yeah, I live in a commercial area, so plows can come pretty much any time of day or night. I suspect the plow guy gives the owner of the lot/building behind me a discount if she'll wait til off hours, and she's pretty cheap.

MLB, that "covered the car windows" storm - Blizzard of '78? My mom was trapped in the house for a few days with that one.

Meanwhile, today... brilliant sun again, and painfully cold, currently 11 with windchill down to -1. They say the humidity is 80% but tell that to my scaly dry skin. :rolleyes: I refuse to look ahead on the forecast, I have plenty of bread and eggs and milk anyway.

8. cooleddie74

27°F and partly sunny, but that'll change tomorrow morning. By tomorrow afternoon the big snowstorm will be here.

9. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

It's 18 here and supposed to get into the 20s today. Undoubtedly, I'll see some idiot in shorts.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was '75. That was not a good year for my city (Omaha) - January was the blizzard from hell, and then later that May, the tornado that pretty much destroyed everything along one of our major streets.

11. cooleddie74

We had major blizzards here in Virginia in 1979 and again in 1993 and 1996. The '96 storm left behind snow that came past my knees and pretty close to my waist. We haven't had snowfall quite that bad since then.

12. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

It's 25 F here and sunny. Next week it's supposed to be in the 50s. :) I'm hoping to get my cracked dining room window fixed then. It cracked during the first cold spell in January.

13. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Cold, dark and rainy. Right now, it's 38F.

14. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

36 F and waiting for an incoming ice storm.

15. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was 82 F here today. It took me 15 minutes to find a parking spot at the beach.

16. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

crazy - we have signs of spring (couples kissing in the street, the ducks returning to my office's pond) and right now it's starting to ... errr... is there a verb to sleet? It's sleeting? Whatever, we have a mix of drizzle and tiny snowflakes. Not enough to get wet but enough to be a nuissance. With umbrella you feel like an idiot, without you get wet.

Forecast says sleet and rain till Friday. And Saturday we'll get 15°C (above freezing point!)

17. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Cold, windy, dark and very rainy. Glad I don't need to leave today and did my groceries yesterday!

18. cooleddie74

20 F and cloudy. The snow will start coming down early this afternoon and if forecasts are correct we'll have a couple of inches on the ground by the end of the day with five to ten more inches coming down during the course of Thursday. We'll see.

19. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Currently 27F. It's been snow/sleeting for the last several hours, but now is just flurries. Forecast is for it to change to freezing rain after 2pm today. Praying the power stays on. This much ice isn't fun.

20. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

April weather: 1 inch snow in the morning, glaring sun at noon, dark grey sky now (early afternoon) and a storm warning for tonight.
    I would really appreciate if the weather would finally make up its mind! I get a migraine whenever the weather changes, i.e. about 8 times a day atm.:mad: