Danica Patrick makes History..

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Gil T.Azell, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How many laps before she wrecks? :lol:

4. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She finished in 8th place and was pretty much in the top 10 all day long. So...

5. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

NASCAR is not a sport nor does it require fitness. Thread does not belong.

6. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

well it's motorsport so it does belong.

i think soccers dumb but i dont go in that thread and say shit.

and how about that swimsuit issue thread if you want to bitch about stuff that shouldn't be here?

7. heavy lids

I never said NASCAR is dumb. But I don't think it's a sport, nor do I think "motorsports" are actual sports.

Take it easy there, fella.

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

yeah well what sort of reaction are you trying to provoke then?

how about motorcycle racing? those guys have to be incredibly fit to climb all over their bikes. harder than doing a bit of running or throwing a ball around.

and people win and lose. it's sport.

9. heavy lids

So chess is a sport? Video games? Spelling bee's?

Motorcycle racers climb all over their bikes?

10. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

yes. they dont sit. its all balanced on footrests and hanging from handlebars. they can get similar muscle strain injuries as gymnasts.

what do you count as sport? 20+ men and and a ball?

you're just here for the reaction so i can't be arsed. that's you're opinion. and millions of people would disagree with it. so good luck.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

NASCAR is a sport, and it requires stamina, endurance, and physical fitness if one wants to win. Driving at speeds up to 150+ miles per hour for 200 to 500 laps around a quarter to two mile track requires intense concentration, focus, and reflexes fast enough to adapt to ever changing, and very deadly, situations on the track. You don't have to like it, but your assessment that it does not require "fitness" is in error.

As for Danica Patrick, congratulations! She's a good driver, and it's nice to see her place in the top ten.

12. heavy lids

Stamina? Oh yes, it does require stamina to be in a car for hours going in circles. I'm surprised NASCAR drivers don't suffer from severe vertigo.

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Actually, your snark aside, it does require stamina to maintain control over a vehicle traveling at high velocities and in close proximity to other large, heavy, fast moving vehicles.

According to the Oxford Dictionary, a sport is:

NASCAR is a competition. It has rules and regulations. It involves teams and individuals who compete against one another, requires skill, is mentally and physically taxing for the driver, and it is done for entertainment.

Again, you don't have to like it, but your point is moot, and if you don't like it, you don't have to be in this thread in which the topic is a NASCAR driver.

14. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I sort of agree that motorsports isn't sports, but historically it has always been considered such, just like horse-racing/-jumping/-whatever, so it pretty much by definition is a sport. And even if you think it isn't, it's borderline trolling to say so in a thread like this.