Buffy season nine discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I did my Buffy S9 marathon read in the last couple of days and read the finale today. It was... OK. It reads better as a whole than in installments. It seems to have largely been a happy ending all around.

Illyria's sacrifice affected me more than I thought it would. In my fanboy heart of hearts, no matter what was said in the story, I always believed that there was some small kernel of Fred still alive some where in there. How else to explain her conflicted feelings toward Wesley? In my fanboy heart of hearts, Illyria's sacrifice finally set Fred free as well. :)

I'm glad that they were able to save Dawn. I like the idea of her and Xander as a couple more now than I did originally, so I'm glad they got a happy ending (for now).

The twist of "Vampyr" book having blank pages in light of the restoration of magic was an interesting twist. Luckily, they'll have pubescent Rupert Giles to help them sort things out in S10.:lol:

And that last page? Nice set up of what's to come.:eek:
    Ultimately, I'm glad that I stuck with the book to the very end. :)

Now, whether or not I buy S10, will honestly depend upon the story they mean to tell and the direction they plan on going in.

2. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll have to get that at some point. I grew kinda bored of Season 9 towards the end, missed an odd issue of Buffy but kept going. With A&F I missed a few, 22-24 actually. I saw #25 in the store the other day; I was gonna buy it but I just skimmed through then and there instead (I'll get the TPB when it eventually comes out.) Bit of a lame "is that it?" ending by the looks of it.

3. Turtletrekker

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finished Buffy Season Nine #25...and I thought this was probably one of the few good issues of the season and a great finale. I think the twist involving the book was probably set up for Giles returning next season, I half expected him to appear. Never expected Dawn to be gone, and I do like her and Xander together. I liked the final page as well, and after an entire season without it being gone and exploring the ramifications of it being gone, magic has been restored, although i suspect it wont' have come without a price. Xander is forgiven and the Scoobies essentially reunited as well.

I am curious about what season ten holds. While frustrated with this season from both books, I don't think I've been as critical as DevilEyes. Angel is now back in flux without a crew and without a mission, although I can see him having yet another Buffy reunion next season. She's got to speak to him again at some point. I see no reason why there wouldn't be a season two of Angel and Faith...just because everyone's parted ways for now doesn't mean there is no plot left. We've seen that before where characters have been parted and then reunite.

I guess we'll have to wait and see until next year what next season brings.

5. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Illyria ended up on Buffy?

6. Turtletrekker

7. Admiral_Young

Looks like Christos Cage will be doing Buffy Season Ten with Rebecca Issacs, and Victor Gischler will be doing Angel and Faith with Will Conrad.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/10/buffy-2/

I expect actual details from the Dark Horse panel on the weekend. These are just from the retailer's breakfast.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  8. Ethros

Rebecca Issacs doing Buffy is great, her art for A&F was awesome, so much so at the start of season 9 I didn't expect her to last it all out, getting snatched up by a bigger company instead.

Surprised about Angel & Faith though, that picture kinda looks like Faith will be in Buffy, and Angel is on his own. I was really hoping now they'd just go back to Angel, Angel in LA, Gunn, Connor, Illyria etc. Sorry to be boring but that's what I wanna see. (And done right, not like the pretty lame post-After The Fall IDW stories)

9. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am just glad they are doing season 10. Are they starting over with #1 or continnuing were season nine leaves off?

10. Admiral_Young

11. Turtletrekker

I'm encouraged by Gage moving over to Buffy, but have never really been a fan of Victor Gischler.

12. Turtletrekker

All new #1s.

13. Admiral_Young

Yeah I'm not too thrilled about Gischler's involvement with Angel and Faith, but am excited about Cage and Issacs on Buffy.

14. Ethros

Though not part of Season 9 (or 10... or 8) there's a new Spike book to look forward to, called Spike: Into The Light, written by actor James Marsters himself-

http://io9.com/james-marsters-revea...utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

So it sounds like its set between Buffy s6 & 7, and I'm not sure but I'm guessing it's a straight up TPB rather than a monthly comic series. Thats kinda what the article made it sound like anyway.

15. Turtletrekker

Cool. I will check that out.

16. Admiral_Young

Big Buffy Season 10 Wizard World Portland Panel. Once again Andrew Chambliss will be absent because of his "Once Upon A Time" commitments, that means Christos Gage will be full time on the book.

They re-confirm James Marsters "Into The Light" graphic novel and said it will take place during season 7. It will explore Spike after getting his soul back. It's mostly drawn but has no publication date yet.

Buffy Season 10 #1 will be out in March, followed by Angel and Faith Season Two #1 in April. Both have two issues completed so far.

Nicholas Brendon then joined the panel announcing he would be co-writing a 3 issue arc featuring the Return of Dracula. They seek out Dracula's help in order to understand how the rules have changed of being a vampire.

The article says Scott Allie talked about "Angel and Faith" along with the creative changes but doesn't elaborate in the article.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/26/buffy-season-10-panel-wizard-world-portland-2014/