The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread!

Don't see much of a difference myself, from an extend cut of a TV episode to an extended cut of a film. So long as both are availbale what's the problem.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I think it would be a nice bonus if they included some remastered deleted scenes, but I think I'd prefer to see the episodes as they aired.

One nitpick I have is how Encounter At Farpoint is broken up into Part 1 and Part 2. When TNG premiered it was as a two hour episode. I would really like to see the show presented as one long episode rather than as a two-parter. How is it presented on the DVDs?

3. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know, but I figure it would be the two hour episode version on the remastered version.

4. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

As far as I recall all home video releases of the pilots and double length episodes were in their original 1 episode presentation. The only exception are episodes that were shown in two parts on their first broadcast. Therefore, I'm confident the blu ray releases will follow the same format.

5. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll definitely be buying the initial disk. That quality will inform my decision to buy other seasons. Currently I own 3-6 on DVD.

6. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Encounter At Farpoint as well as All Good Things were presented as one episode on VHS and DVD, with scences that were cut from the two part versions to make room for the additional credits.

7. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exciting. Can't wait to see all those amazing actors and awesome sets in HD!

8. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed; at first glance it seems like a random or arbitrary list, but each one of those episodes is a great way to show off this remastering job.

9. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really hope Okuda is involved in this. He has more right to be involved in TNG-R rather than TOS-R!

10. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I made a mistake

-from the article.

Actually 10 second handles for every take kept are better as that would technically allow for a longer edit of scenes but i doubt it would happen as music cues wouldnt match, pacing would be off.
    The episodes were longer back then. Today's episodes are about 44 minutes. when TNG-R goes into syndication that is minutes of advertising time that networks want so i wouldnt be surprised if the syndication episodes were shorter than the blu-ray episodes.

11. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It'll be interesting to see how the painted set extensions hold up in HD. The fake corridors inside the jellyfish creature from EaF are strikingly obvious even on the DVDs.

Maybe they'll digitally replace them. :)
    Probably not.

12. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They digitally replaced the matte painting backgrounds for TOS-R, so why wouldn't they replace them here?

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Is that a mock-up or did you get it from an official source?

15. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Mock up, A) Those are the DVD sets and B) Hopefully no official thing would have that bad a matte line around the product :p

16. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a good point. I guess it depends on time and money, and how complex or frequent the shots are.

17. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Personally I think blu-rays are out of date already, what they should do is release the whole series in 1080p x264 on a 2.5" Portable USB Hard Drive.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

:wtf:

19. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think he's right. Everything I watch is digital (netflix, etc), and I'm sure a lot of people have moved on.

Besides, it's tougher to scratch and ruin a digital file(how discs lasted for this long is crazy, it's such a comparably fragile medium - yeah, it IS tough to scratch 'em up badly enough, but the few times it does happen sucks!)

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The quality on Netflix is horrible compared to a movie on a blu ray. I never ever destroyed a CD, DVD or bluray. I always wonder what people do with them that get them destroyed. Play frisbee?

Selling a movie on an HDD isn't even that bad an idea, but saying blu rays are outdated is ridiculous. And you certainly don't want to buy a movie on a flash drive. You can throw it away in a couple of years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.