Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

And Ian Levine is giving the hoaxer exactly the kind of attention he was looking for, in thoroughly NSFW fashion. "All you've done is p*** off fandom - there are some clever fans out there - they'll trace you and teach you to f*** with us" and so forth. The hoaxer's response: "HAAA HAA HAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!" Levine is also retweeting lots of people declaring simultaneously that no one fell for this obvious deception and that the hoaxer is a nasty monster for deceiving them.

Of course it was never likely that recovered episodes would be circulating in a format that could just be uploaded to YouTube or DailyMotion. But then, nothing about the missing episode developments of the past few years has been likely, which is why it was hard to entirely dismiss even something that had "obvious hoax" written all over it.

2. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ian is under the belief Phillip Morris has yet to return anything (potentially nearly everything else) The BBC could confirm that nothing else has been returned, they would not be able to confirm nothing else will be.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Then BBC and Phil Morris should confirm/deny what they have knowledge of.

Keep in mind, the BBC knew about Fear and Enemy many months before they were released.

I do have to wonder how reputations would fare if anyone was found to be keeping knowledge hidden.

Mr Awe

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^But I think that's what Rarewolf is saying: Some people won't be convinced by a denial, and will just conclude it's a coverup. You can prove that an episode has been recovered by releasing it, but it's a lot harder to prove a negative.

5. Mr Awe

The irrational out there will go on believing whatever, but at least the sane amongst us would know. Right now, I don't know what to believe and the people who should know the truth are only making it worse by not saying anything.

Really, it's getting to the point where silence is irresponsible. Maybe that's what "silence will fall" really means?!

Mr Awe

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

What to believe? Believe Web and Enemy were returned and will be released as BBC has informed us.

And then believe that's it, until BBC tells us something more.

Seems simple enough to me. If you choose to believe every crackpot who makes a post or writes an article anywhere across the Internet, how is that BBC's responsibility to keep tabs on, and continue going around behind the rumors making denials?

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^My thoughts exactly. As far as I'm concerned, there are no missing episodes out there waiting for a public unveiling and I will continue to believe that until if/when BBC announces another one has been found.

Although, I enjoy visiting this thread all the same. It really is a blast watching fandom writhe on this magnitude over a rumour and Ian Levine's tirades make it all worth while.

8. Mr Awe

Obviously, I'm not believing the crackpots. :rolleyes: However, it also seems likely that more is going on.

Now, you can live your life with blinders on, but I'm more actively curious than that. I don't think it's too much to ask that those who know to set the record straight.

Mr Awe

9. Sindatur

They've already spoken repeatedly, how many more times should they speak to it? Why do they need to discloses their future business plans before they are ready (If indeed they are waiting for delivery of something?)

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet the BBC flat out lied in June saying they have no missing episodes. They have no credibility in the fans eyes in regards to missing episodes after that incident. They probably have Marco Polo but they will keep denying it until they release it.

11. Sindatur

I don't think that's true. I don't believe they had the episodes in June. I think The Restoration Team had them. I don't think BBC got them until they were released on iTunes. If they weren't in BBC's hands, how is it their place to speak for what Phil Morris has?

Maybe Morris doesn't want them announced, until they are restored, and ready. Wouldn't there be a shit storm to announce Marco Polo is back, and then find out 2 episodes are beyond being restored?

12. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well sometimes honesty is your best course. (rough example)

"We found some damaged Marco Polo episodes, the restoration team is working to see if any are salvageable. We will not know there condition until the team has full analyzed them. We will let you know when we get further updates.

The BBC"

So at least tell us there is a possibility, this will build talk and interest and cut out the rumors.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  13. Sindatur

But, the BBC didn't find them, Morris did

14. Mr Awe

It must be nice living in a world where you're just happy with whatever people decide to give you!

No, they haven't been straight forward about this at all. They've been deceptive and that's a huge source of the problem. It feeds the crackpots.

I agree and that's a huge part of the problem. Those who should be trust worthy aren't, which is leading to all sorts of craziness.

Mr Awe

15. Mr Awe

It is true. I was at the 50th celebration con in London and both Hines and Watling confirmed that they had seen the 2 recovered shows at a secret screening held by the BBC before June. They were sworn to secrecy by the BBC.

Also, if Morris is playing a role, he should be straight forward about what he has and doesn't has. I can understand a staggered release. He should make money on finding them because I'm sure it cost him money. But, he should be a bit more forthcoming about what he has recovered.

Mr Awe

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Rule one: The BBC Lies! LOL

...now we know where Moffat gets it from. LOL

17. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've heard nothing to disprove the 40 odd story I was told mid 2012, since even at that stage it included Enemy and Web, Morris' name attached to a tale of bicycled prints in Africa, a reveal that would be held for the anniversary. The Morecambe & Wise print being too far gone was mentioned at that point too.

So I'm certainly more optimistic about the other 30 episodes of that batch than I am the other 60. It never included Moonbase

Interesting, Frazer said elsewhere Debbie told him about the recovery in September, and she's said she's still not seen the episodes except for the two at the press screening.

Actors eh?

18. Mr Awe

^ Debbie said at the con that the BBC hadn't invited Frazer because he'd leak it. So, she invited him but made him promise he wouldn't spill the beans!

I'm optimistic that there are more finds, but no idea how many. It might just be Marco Polo, for which I'd be thrilled and thankful. But, more would be nice!

Mr Awe

19. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

It seems unlikely the episodes were shown at any screening, secret or otherwise, prior to the Restoration Team receiving them in early June. In the words of Steve Roberts: "There were old tape joins in all the episodes, which came apart in our hands and which could not have survived being put onto a projector or telecine for viewing." So the possibilities are:

(a) Roberts is fibbing for no evident reason (and given how big reports and denials of secret screenings are in current rumor discussion, you'd think someone else who was at the con would have used the actors' statements in a "Gotcha!" moment);

(b) Watling and Hines misremembered when the screening occurred (but again, someone else would still have brought it up);

(c) what Watling and Hines said at the con has been misunderstood.

20. Sindatur

And, even in November, when releassed on iTunes, there was still a missing episode or Web