Motion Comics

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Ketrick, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Ketrick

Ketrick Commander Red Shirt

If any Star Trek comics were made into motion comics by CBS or Paramount, would the motion comic be canon?

2. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering the original comics aren't canon themselves since they aren't "on screen", I'd say no.

3. Ketrick

But wouldn't being a motion comic make it "on screen"? I don't know. I mean a motion comic isn't exactly animation, but it wouldn't be the same as the comic whereas it would be on a dvd and have a voice cast. Then again, that would make it not unlike a video game and video games aren't canon. So, that's the conundrum.

4. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I don't see a motion comic as being quite the same as a produced live action or even animated production. I mean, they're even still called "comics."

5. Ketrick

I don't see them as the same either. I'm just wondering if they would be close enough to be considered canon or would they, like video games, be non-canon.

6. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since the Animated series isn't canon, and Motion Comics would be even further removed, I'd vote that no, they wouldn't be considered canon.

7. Ketrick

Uhhh...the animated series is canon. It was made canon around the time of its release on dvd.

8. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wasn't aware that they re-canonized TAS (Memory Alpha backs this up), but it still doesn't make a hill of beans of difference for comics, motion or otherwise.

9. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While I agree the stance of TAS isn't really relevent, it's worth pointing out that, while it's not strictly non-canonical, it's is a gray area of whether it is or is not canon as far as the studio is concerned (as noted by the Memory-Alpha excerpt above). As far as the creators go (especial Gene) it's strictly outside of the Star Trek Canon.

10. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Only because he and his estate were not profiting from it. If they were, of course he would have wanted to include them.