No attempt to clone The Big Bang Theory yet?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ALF, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Which was kind of the point. One can be a geek/nerd but know next to nothing about a particular franchise that doesn't interest you.

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I've found that when the nerd gestalt recommends something, it's usually worthwhile. Even if it doesn't look interesting at first glance.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Don't you mean the "nerdstappo"? (apologies to Stephen Colbert, and just kidding)

4. Nerys Myk

I still haven't watched more than a handful of Buffy. I know some of the character names and next to nothing of the storylines. Come and get me Nerdstappo.

5. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

You should know better than to taunt the Nerdstappo!

*looks around nervously*

6. Nerys Myk

"We have ways of making you watch...unpleasant ways."

7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that a measure of success may be in re-purposing this show from the point of view of a handful of nerdy girls. There's a certain mystique in nerd girls/geek girls that might have some potential for a series to either compete with or add to the TBBT universe.

Who knows? Maybe there will be a Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler spinoff. But the series shouldn't last too much longer... the ideas are starting to tread water. The Howard in Space storyline was kind of exhausting.

I thought I had a general grasp of the characters of 2.5 Men but I admit I don't know Judith or Herb. Anyway, nice plot reformatting.

8. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Judith is Alan's ex-wife, Herb is the guy from Drew Carey Show that married her.

9. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty much agree 100% with this. The first two seasons had me in stitches, but the rest barely get a smirk out of me. They've moved from 'these guys are geniuses' to 'these guys play with cool toys and read comics'. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not as funny.

Sheldon is pretty much the only reason to watch the show. Geez that kid whinges a lot though. You'd think someone as smart as he would have learned to adapt to life a little better.

10. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder how many nerds are on TBBT's payroll? Not that many I'd wager. Does Mr (Prof?) Smoot still consult with them?

11. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is his genius that provides for his cushion from reality.

I'd read/heard some suggestions that identify Sheldon's various neuroses, there are many. Obsessive compulsive disorder and Asperger's syndrome were two common suggestions. It could be also argued that it is in poor taste to use archetypes for comedy that involve mental illnesses. Those with that argument have likely never been exposed to Family Guy or South Park.

Howard is obnoxious, Leonard has low self esteem and Raj can't speak to women without alcohol but these are all relatively tame social impediments compared to Sheldon who, for example, can't handle someone sitting in his chair or adjusting to his 'bathroom schedule.' Many of the A plots used to revolve around Sheldon but now that the characters have paired off with partners Sheldon ends up carrying the B plot in the later seasons.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

And now they've introduced "the Gooch" from Scrubs. Wonder if she'll be in more than this episode?

13. tighr

Probably. Or at least, it'd be smart of the writers to keep her around. They did promise us a Raj relationship, and I don't think they meant Stuart.

Kate Micucci (The Gooch) is part of Garfunkel and Oates, the duo that wrote "Fuck You" and a couple other funny songs.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Yeah, I've seen a couple of their videos.

15. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From Wikipedia:

16. tighr

Well, there ya go. Sounds like we'll be seeing more of the Gooch.

17. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

While Sheldon may be the breakout star (and Jim Parsons deserved his awards for playing him so well) i was really happy they had an episode where Leonard finally stood up to him.

It's not that Sheldon can't adapt.. it's just that he assumes life should adapt to him and when it doesn't he gets confused :lol:

Don't know what to make of Gooch (god.. i love Scrubs!).. not getting Raj a girlfriend was always the thing with BBT. It was a good move to introduce Bernadette and Amy and they've become an integral part of the show with storylines of their own but having them all in committed relationships? I don't know.. i liked the Raj/Stuart pairing and would like to see more of Stuart. Wasn't it announced that Stuart would become a regular character this season?

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I like the idea of Raj finally getting a girlfriend, if only because the metrosexual/ambiguously gay jokes were getting old . . . .

19. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

This. I know quite a few scientists and academic nerds, and BBT is pretty much right on the mark. As Nerys Myk said, when it is over-the-top for laughs, it's certainly no more out of line than when other sitcoms (including "Community") do the very same thing.

20. tighr

Raj's bit was originally not being able to talk to girls, and had nothing to do with the possibility he might be gay (in fact, the psychological fear of talking to women leads to the conclusion that he is NOT gay, he simply fears them). It was either the season 1 or season 2 halloween episode, but he actually ends up hooking up with a girl at Penny's party, and when he wakes up the next day he is unable to talk to her. She thinks he is a good listener!