Did Voyager get better or worse when Kes was replaced with 7 of 9?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by The Overlord, Nov 21, 2012.

1. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

7 years of futility

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So cruel!

3. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

Sadly, accurate

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It takes a lot of creative effort to find news ways for him to be the whipping boy after Seven years. I dunno why, but the Borg Queen personally calling him out just makes me laugh every time.

5. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

You're contradicting yourself here.

Seven was never supposed to be The Main Character. If she were, Jeri would have had top billing. She didn't. Seven wasn't.

Yeah, because the only thing Jeri Ryan has to offer the world is a great body.

Thing is, Lynx, even if you think she's just a silly little fluff-bunny without a brain in her head or a talent for anything, she's a decent actress & has proven that with a solid resume since Voyager.

She's also smart, witty and personable.

I know that's a bitter pill to swallow.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

She raped her smarts out of a lot of unwilling victims, she's viciously sarcastic more than politely funny, and no, she is not personable, she is aloof, superior, disjoint and antisocial.

Um?

Are you talking about Jeri?

I was talking about Seven

7. teya

I was responding to Lynx, not you. See who was quoted?

And I thought this clearly established who I was talking about:

8. Guy Gardener

Without looking her up on IMDB, I like Jeri on Leverage, even if she is orange, but I thought her character was too preachy on Boston Public. Everyone on Body of Evidence is meh, it's diet House lite with zero calories, and I'm not sure how Shark made it into a second season, but that wasn't her fault.

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My friend, this is an open message board with a running conversation. Anyone can jump in as they please, so kindly don't call the thought police because you didn't like what someone said. If you really desire a private conversation, this message board has a nifty private message feature too. :)

10. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

:sigh:

I was referring to showbiz as such and not Jeri Ryan.

I could and should actually write something about me appreciating Jeri's acting in "Boston Public", "OC", "Boston Legal" and "Shark" and also agreeing on your statement about her being a decent actress & has proven that with a solid resume since Voyager. And that she's also smart, witty and personable.

But I have a feeling that my efforts in this case are futile since you probably will turn it into something very negative too.

As for bitter pills, the only bitter pills I have to swallow are those which are constantly showing up in my face and pushed down my throat in the Kes/Lien case and I'm getting sick and tired about it. I'm not only referring to forum debates here.

To be absolutely honest, you did bet on a winner. Be happy for that.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  11. teacake

I wish Warehouse 13 would use both Ryan and Mulgrew better. Both characters are quite bland. All I remember about Jeri on Boston Public was that I was staring at her the whole time in some kind of gaga land of how uniquely attractive she was.. I'm not sure I remember the character at all. I liked her very much on the O.C. (which I am currently rewatching) where she plays a con artist with lots of slashy subtext. She could have almost pulled off playing Julie Cooper.

12. teya

I was simply pointing out that I wasn't responding to a post Guy had made and that I'd thought I'd made it clear to whom I was referring.

13. teacake

This place is a blender.

14. Guy Gardener

Imagine a rematch on Nikita?

Jeri playing someone going head to head against Amanda.

15. teacake

That should be some kind of Venus Vesuvius tv moment but I have to say the character of Amanda is very disappointing. I bailed part way through Nikita's second season, though there were some promising plot developments for Amanda so that could be a mistake. But there's only so much you can do with a very aloof character. Julie Cooper by comparison is a vivacious manipulative cartoon bitch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Guy Gardener

Amanda turned out to be in charge of interrogations too, there was a great episode where she takes to the Computer Geek from main cast with a hammer because he's keeping secrets.

17. teacake

And now he's gone rogue.

Well, that's what was going on last time I paid attention. It was getting way too Alias. I thought the main character was so very meh.. where was her personality? Her apprentice was a lot more interesting.

18. Guy Gardener

Yeah but when I look at her, all I see is the 14 year old from the future scenes on How I Met Your Mother, except there's some Dorian Grey bullshit going on. She keeps getting older and older on Nikita, but she's frozen as a tiny little girl on How I met Your Mother.

Maggie Q (Nikita) does nothing for me, which is best, I can respect her as a person and an actress if the brain in my pants isn't constantly waging in on the subject.

But Nikita Killed Percy, and took over Division, under the auspices of the US President and their new mandate is to collect all the Rogue Agents out there that scattered after the evil Division got shut down.

So yes.

Very Alias.

If you want a real mindfuck, the guy that played Percy, the evil spymaster big bad on Nikita, is in another show called "The Booth at the End" where he either plays a fallen Angel or a conman that grants wishes for people if they will preform a simple task or two to levy karma. The confusing bit is that the "wishes" are all simple things that you don't need magic to come about, so you don't know what he's taking credit for and what is just coincidence but... It's spooky.

19. teacake

Your spoilers intrigue me and I want to subscribe to your newsletter.

Maybe I'll go back there, that sounds better then what it was doing last time I was looking. I do not like at all the angsty stuff between Nikita and the apprentice, oh you betrayed me no but oh YOU betrayed me but oh you.. I can't stand that stuff. I am sure it is possible to do it well but it's usually just spray on drama.

As to Maggie Q, I can't say I appreciate her acting in this. She is quite expressionless and I don't care if she dies. I don't find her even a tiny bit hot. Even when she takes off her clothes. Even when she's in bed with someone. Even when she's walking around in her itty bitty lingerie. She's almost anti-hot.

So is Melinda Clarke now the rogue element and Nikita is the Man?

Melinda Clarke needs to be in Star Trek again.

20. Guy Gardener

If there was new Star Trek to be in.

Nikita has a formula. It's the same show every week, if you didn't like it then, you probably won't like it now, even if most of the other new programming is worse.

Chicago Fire is soooooo painful.