Ewww.. SGU let's have some freaking protocol

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Aug 31, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watching SGU all the way through for the first time. Was VERY disappointed because someone told me that Rodney was in the pilot as a hand over type deal and.. he isn't :( However looking it up I see he will be in one episode.. !!! :techman:

Anyway, I just watched the ep Earth and am so creeped out I feel like having a shower. Having sex in someone else's body?! Are there NO guidelines to what you do when using this form of communication? Bad enough to get drunk.. but geezus.

Rant rant rant.. anyway what was the reaction, if any, to this event when the episode aired?

2. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

lol, been a while since i re-watched any SG:U.... i remember the episode though, and it was pretty amusing...

I don't remember any outcry or anything when the episode first aired though, but by that point, i think the viewership had already dropped pretty significantly sadly :(

M

3. teacake

It was only the seventh episode.. was it a disaster by then?

4. Methos

it had pretty much steadily died from the first few episodes...

"Air (Part 1)" - 2.346 million
    "Air (Part 2)" - 2.346 million
    "Air (Part 3)" - 2.447 million
    "Darkness (Part 1)" - 2.099 million
    "Light (Part 2)" - 2.015 million
    "Water" - 1.974 million
    "Earth" - 1.626 milion

by the end of season one, viewership was down to about half of what they started with... and then it steadily sank to under a million for the first half of season 2, and dipped even further throughout the run

M

5. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't remember what TrekBBS's reaction was, because I got into the SGU threads here pretty late, but on other forums, people were pretty irked by a lot of stuff the writers did.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Stone sex" as it became known didn't really go over too well around here, either. To make matters worse, the webisodes establish that the people on Earth who volunteer for stone swaps sign forms giving consent for the person they switch with to have sex while in their body.

My main problem is that the spouses/partners of these people are actually okay with having sex with a stranger who just happens to claim to be their significant other.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Out of interest here are the UK figures (that I could find on BARB website)

1.>1.165m
    2.>1.061m
    3.>1.004m
    4.>959k
    5.>1.004m
    6.>858k
    7.>939k
    8.>865k
    10.>861k

So even in other markets it was losing viewers overall, maybe not as much but still losing

8. Methos

yeah i was a english viewer, it never seemed to get much publicity or anything over here

M

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Sky did advertise it quite a bit, but really only on Sky One, so unless you watched that channel a fair bit you might miss the adverts.

10. Methos

ahh, i only really flick to sky one when there's something i want to watch on... i'm not a huge viewer at the best of times

M

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Though for many years, I have relied less on adverts for finding out when programmes are on and more on things like the Internet.

12. teacake

None of it makes any sense, unless it was a kink option to swap bodies and everyone agreed that's what was going on. As it is I think the use of the stones to flesh out the characters never really works. Being able to see them on earth dealing with closure issues guts the tension of them being trapped galaxies away from home. You go from it being a survival story to the usual dribble about people's daddy issues or love life.

It's also awkward to watch as they seem to flit back and forth in showing you the character and the body inhabited.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The stones generally didn't go over with the fans. Personally, I liked that they stayed in contact with Earth from the get-go, but the way the stones were depicted wasn't handled properly. Very rarely do we see them used for practical purposes like sending experts over to help out with Destiny. It's usually just random people who swap and presumably they sit on their ass (or rather someone else's) for a few hours while someone else is using their body to party and score on Earth.

Hmm, that is a good point. What did the people from Earth do while they were on board Destiny during a stone swap?

14. teacake

Took in the view? Not every day you get to look out the window at a galaxy billions of miles from your own.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

What happens if somebody dies during a stone swap while in someone else's body?

16. teacake

The ep I saw said the other body dies too. Haven't seen it tested yet though.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So if A and B swap, and A dies while in B's body, then B also dies in A's body?

Bummer. :(

18. teacake

That's what was said, as theory, in Earth I think. Whether more gets said or disproved afterwards I don't know yet because I've only watched up to Time. Which was awful btw and I pretty much love everything with time travel in it.

There is one gorgeous woman on this show that appears to be a minor character :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vanessa James.

The Chloe character (who I initially thought was Summer Glau but isn't) is boring as all crap. Oh no, my daddy is dead lets have sex we're going to die too. Maybe she'll improve and get a personality.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  19. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Chloe becomes more interesting by the end of the season.

20. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

The stones deal is explained in a webisode. The swapping is viewed as a conjugal visits, so the volunteers all sign waivers allowing for that kind of stuff.