The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Because it was never about killing a good man, it was about killing any man in cold blood.

...In my opinion.

2. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

One thing that bugged me when I thought about it. So the "swamp zombie" guts a cow...instead of gorging on bovine guts, it waits for Dale to come and seems to ambush him. Walkers aren't sneaky. Maybe Dale was just too distracted.

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    :lol::lol::lol:

Quote of the day!

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, no idea how that zombie would sneak up on Dale, and no reason TO do it, as he had plenty of cow he hadn't finished yet. Not sure if the cow was just in pain, or trying to turn into a zombie, based on the noises and amount of damage. Either way, for the zombie to quit snacking, hide, sneak up behind Dale... Bad writing.

that said, glad it happened. Dale was interesting at the beginning, but has basically done nothing but drag the show down and just whine since then. Was really getting tired of that character, so hopefully his death can accomplish more than his bitching...

5. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Lots of drama last night.. and GOOD drama too boot.. I'm sorry for the loss of Dale, but while I won't go so far as to say that he's been dragging the rest of the cast down, he's pretty much been a one-note "anti-anything Shane says" character most of the season.. Plus, as far as moral compasses go, the group has Rick, who is far more effective in the long run.

LOVED the gut ripping scene... Very graphic indeed and I enjoyed the explination on how it was done, afterward on Talking Dead... But it does beg the question..

Had Dale survived by some miracle, would he have "gone zombie" even though he hadn't been bitten? I'm thinking back to the guards at the DOT service yard last week, who showed no visible signs of being bitten but were, perhaps scratched...

6. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it just me or is Carl turning out to be a little $#!t?
    Part of me wanted his confrontation to not go in his favor and then seeing the result of that..Man…

AND please figure out what you are going to do with your captive, that crap is starting to drag on like it did with Sophia.

7. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

they said a scratch would do it. That was a pretty big scratch. I didn't think the zombie snuck up on him. The whole time he was looking at the cow though I was thinking OMG look around for the zombie! More likely the zombie ate a couple bites of cow then noticed the lights and wandered away from the cow, then saw dale.

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

- If I were Randall, I wouldn'y join a group of people who tried to kill me.

- Dale getting killed was quite a surprise.

- I do find it interesting that they're making a big deal out of Randall, but letting people like Daryl into the group or going back for his brother wasn't much of an issue.

- I sided with Dale. Killing Randall seemed too extreme, but then again, I'm not in their predicament.

- I figured that they wouldn't kill Randall. Something like that could make the characters less sympathetic and hurt the show.

- As for Dale not noticing the zombie, I just dismissed it as the usual trope where people on TV don't hear others sneaking up on them.

There probably wasn't much he could do. He was a kid and he went with the flow and did what he had to do to stay alive and in the good graces of the people he was with.

9. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I kept wondering where exactly his parents were. I guess they're the balking dead...

It's almost like every episode now we get to look forward to "who makes the ridiculously dumb decision tonight?" If this were a drinking game we'd all get ripped.

10. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So if the cdc guy told Rick that everyone has the virus and will change after death no matter how they die, why would Rick be considering hanging Randall? and why wouldn't he be in a hurry to shoot Dale?

11. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I knew that walker was going to follow Carl back to the farm, and once we saw Dale wandering around in the dark, I knew he was going to run into it. I can't say I predicted his death, but once the thing jumped him, I realized that this was not going to be one of those times a character gets saved at the last minute. Between the fact that Andrea still hadn't told him they were sparing Randall, and that he'd actually stated he didn't want to live in their world, it was much more compelling to kill him off from a dramatic standpoint. I half expected him to just give up and let the thing bite him. Although I was really hoping Andrea would tell him about Randall before he died.

I've gotta say, though, that if I lived on that farm, I would never go wandering around in the dark by myself. There's a reason someone has to sit on that RV with a rifle.

Anyway, I liked Dale and I don't want to see him go. Sure he whined a lot, but that's because too many people were doing the cold-blooded thing instead of the human thing. Rick may be the moral compass for the group, but he was getting too off-center. Dale was Rick's moral compass.

Yes, Carl is turning into a little bastard. I guess Rick may have stopped his own slide down the slippery slope when he realized what kind of child he's going to be raising.

12. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. It felt very much like the zombie was setting a trap for him, which is fine if they want to make the zombies smarter but felt very off from their normal behavior.

The kid was better when he was a plot point, trying to give him a character has mostly served to reveal how bad an actor he is and make him less sympathetic and his parents look irresponsible and inept in their duty. They're turning the one kid in the world into a bratty psychopath and I don't see the upside to that except to make the story more grimdark which isn't at all necessary.

Everything felt a little off this episode. Probably my least favorite of the year. Can't quite put my finger on it, just wrong somehow.

13. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

Carl is starting to behave as he has in the comics. In fact, in the beginning I thought he was going to carry out at least one of his future actions. Sadly, didn't happen.

14. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well on the second point, you can understand his hesistation to shoot his friend in the head while he's still (barely) alive.

But you're right with the first point, it doesnt make much sense if thats what he was told.

I knew Dale's days were numbered, but i honestly expected it to be Shane that killed him, so the gut ripping action was a bit of a surprise.

While i'm sad to see the character go, i do have to admit that reading The Walking Dead volume 2 certainly impacted the way i saw the character which led to some frankly disturbing images in my head every time he popped up on screen.

15. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I had read the spoiler that Dale was doomed, but in the end I sad for him to go.

I never thought the issue was Randall worth saving; rather, what would killing a young man in cold blood do to the group?

I thought Dale was much more concerned in what Randall's death meant for them. If they became ruthless and heartless like Randall's group, was the fight to stay alive worth it?

I know that Carl is a kid, but I was ready to reach through the TV and slap him. He should have offed that zombie quick rather than hanging around like he was on the school yard. I knew that his stupid actions were going to spell doom. Lori and Rick need to realize that they have their own little monster in the making.

Also, why is any one of them roaming around by themselves? They are just begging to be picked off one by one. That includes my beloved Daryl going all Rambo on the farm's outskirts, Carl's solo trip of lunancy and Dale wandering off in the dark to become zombie fodder.

Why aren't they trying to scavenge for more ammo, food, etc? It seems like they are just laying around in the sun working on their tans. At least Herschel's lot seems to work. Lori is playing house. Andrea is busy trying to be Wonder Woman. (At least Carol has the excuse of her daughter's recent zombification and death to flake a bit.) Shane is doing God knows what. Dale seems to be on the lookout. We have not really seen T-Dawg in forever. Glenn has Maggie issues.

I just feel like they are just sitting around ripe for the picking from zombies or roving bands of humans.

16. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I really did, too. I have a friend who has read the comics and insists on giving me all the details, whether I want them or not.

I was pretty sure that Carl was going to go take care of Randall all on his own.

17. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because there is time between when you die and when you become a Zombie. Rick can decide the right/humane way to kill Randall, and then after he is dead stab him in the head. And Rick doesn't want to kill his friend no matter how inevitable he realizes it is.

18. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

Can somebody explain to me how the walker was able to rip Dale's guts out? I would have thought that opening the abdomen up would require some sort of sharpened instrument (to cut the skin, muscle fibers, etc...). Can fingers and fingernails do that?

I realize that if I can suspend disbelief and accept a worldwide zombie apocalypse then I can accept a zombie ripping out someone's guts, but so far TWD has tried to maintain some threads to reality.

19. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

He should've done more crunches... :(

20. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I would assume his nails were pretty rough and jagged, which means some pretty sharp edges here and there. Combined with ZombieStrength(TM) and it isn't too hard to imagine.