2012 Academy Award Nominations

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me neither, I see very little until the DVD releases. Going to theaters costs too damn much anymore. Got Tree of Life on DVD, maybe I'll watch it tonight, or as much of it as I can stand. I'm afraid it's going to be boring. :rommie:

2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

It was one of the year's most acclaimed films, and won a ton of critics' awards (and Clooney just took the Golden Globe).

I've seen seven of the nine nominees at present, and will see the other two. Provisionally I'd rank them:

1. Hugo
    2. Moneyball
    3. The Tree of Life
    4. Midnight in Paris
    5. The Help
    6. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
    7. War Horse

Without having seen the final two, I will say that this year's nominees don't feel nearly as good as last year's. The A-line of last year (The King's Speech, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, True Grit, The Fighter) would probably all place ahead of Hugo.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's an article about the snubs.

Funny, I would have thought J Edgar would get more attention. That one screams "Oscar bait." Is it lots worse than I've heard?

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Didn't see it. The reviews were mixed to bad.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Let's not overstate thing, shall we? One movie failed to land an Oscar nomination. And this is a genre which is hardly reliant on awards and nominations to survive. Hardly nail in coffin times.

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Couldn't you say that about anything related to movies, thus making this entire process and awards show irrelevant?

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I think it's a pretty poor tribute to silent films. Especially next to The Artist. (Yeah, I think Hugo is tremendously overrated.)

J. Edgar isn't a very good movie. It's a pretty bland by the numbers bio flick. Nothing particularly interesting or illuminating. And Leo is a big meh in the film.

8. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm only a bit upset that Diablo Cody didn't get nominated for Original Screenplay for Young Adult. As well as that Patton Oswald didn't get nominated for Best Supporting Actor. I thought his performance was better then most of the nominees this year.

9. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

The thing I'm most surprised about is that nine films got nominated. I'd thought with the new rules there'd be seven at most.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

No love for Andy Serkis. :(

I'm not surprised Cars 2 wasn't nominated because it was easily Pixar's weakest film. I believe this is the first year since the category's creation where Pixar wasn't nominated in a year that they released a film.

However, I am surprised Tintin (only one capitalized T!) didn't get nominated. I'm not one for stop-motion capture animation but I thought Spielberg did a pretty good job here, although granted I'm biased considering the content of the film.

I'm also very disappointed that Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross were not nominated for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo score as well as Karen O's excellent cover of "Immigrant Song." I lost count the number of times I listened to the score before I even saw the film.

Once again, I find myself regretting watching The Ides of March instead of Hugo when I had the chance...

Which is disappointing considering I'm a huge fan of Eastwood's directing efforts. I haven't seen J. Edgar but all of the reviews I've read don't have me all that excited.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Sounds a bit like the attitude they had towards films like TRON when it first came out as CGI wasn't real special effects.

12. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought this would be a weak years for Best Picture and this list of nominees proves it. Is anyone going to remember these films in a few years?

I like some of the actors who were nominated though I actually find myself most pleased with The Muppets being nominated for Original Song. I hope they can get the original two actors back to perform it live.

I know Warner Brothers wanted Harry Potter to be nominated for Best Picture. Maybe if they had done a better job adapting that book, they would have been nominated.

So Jonah Hill is an Oscar nominee...meanwhile, Michael Cera continues to play the same character in every movie of his increasingly irrelevent career.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Some yes, most no.

Just a nominee.

14. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

This is hard to judge in advance, but I think there are four that will be remembered. The Tree of Life, Hugo and The Descendants are well-regarded films by significant auteurs whose bodies of work will always be examined. The Artist is (at present) by a less known director, but assuming it wins as it currently looks to, being the Best Picture will keep it in the conversation (besides which, it has some distinguishing features apart from that).

15. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This type of thinking says more about the viewer than the actual quality of the movies being made.

With that said, I'm impressed with the majority of the selections. And am rooting for "The Artist", if not for the win, then at least for more awareness so people will go out and (hopefully!) enjoy the movie.

16. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

Only two nominations for original song? Weak sauce.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish these kinds of movies were more widely availiable to the viewer than most of the crap that's out. Hollywood says we love 3D, yet there are so many movies returning just to get converted to 3D while movies like the ones nominated are going to small houses and aren't being brought to a wider audience. Hell, movies like The Artist is just now starting to get into theaters because of the Award Push. For the last several years I've hated the whole thing of "Limited Release" because it's pretty much saying we're all too stupid for the "wide release".

18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Not even remotely. Loved it.

He was good enough that I personally think he should give up comedy, and develop his dramatic skills instead. I've never been able to stand him in a comedy, but thought he did a pretty good job in Moneyball.

That fight is going to take time, unfortunately.

Why would a studio spend a large amount of money on a wide release for a film they don't think will play to large audiences around the country? That'd be incredibly bad decision-making.

19. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

I've only seen "The Help", but I would be surprised if it won an Oscar. It was good, but not that good. The movie had a good mixture of humor and character driven story, it was well acted by many. Despite the seriousness of some of the content, I still thought it lacked something on the dramatic end. That special something that shoots a movie up to the top level.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? NOT NOMINATED :wtf: WTF

No movies to get the audiences interested so I bet ratings will be down.

Academy snobbery what a shocker.