War of the Supermen Just Announced!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

DC's major announcement week continues as they announced War of the Supermen starting with War of the Supermen#O on Free Comic Book Day. It looks like this is the 2010 major event that Geoff Johns and DiDido have been referring to and building up to since Johns took over Action Comics three or four years ago. It seems those posters were right over in the Superman 2010 event thread I started a few weeks ago that the major event would be some kind of war...here's the link to the annoucment. Also on a side note I was very surprised to learn that a major supporing character is about to die

Lana Lang! In an upcoming Supergirl issue

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

That promo artwork looks terrible. Why does Superman look like a zombie?

And I bet that character will be back in some convoluted way later down the line (Re: Sam Lane).

3. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I just wish that Geoff was still writing at least one of the Superman books so he could help finish what he started, though... :(

4. Admiral_Young

Uh Geoff will be returning to Action Comics once Blackest Night is completed.

5. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny how a major character that always dies is actually kind of a minor one. Plus Im sure that character will be back when DC for the 3rd or 4th time decides to have another universe reset.:rolleyes:

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Is this the expected New Krypton versus Earth storyline?

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

:lol:... I kind of agree. DC Zombies? :D

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh lord...I hope not. Blackest Night is veering too close to that to begin with!

9. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a new Krypton, when did that happen?

10. Admiral_Young

I'm inclined to say that yes this is the New Krypton Vs Earth...but the war of the supermen title suggests that maybe a Kryptonian civil war erupts over the problems of earth.

11. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I think it looks cool

12. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking at the cover, I can't help but wonder who the guy to the left of Superman's right knee is.

Hmmm...

Seems to be a bat symbol on his chest, the outline looks almost like the Superman shield, and the costume colors are red and blue. Chris Kent with a change to his Knightwing costume, making a connection with his adopted father?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

In the past couple years, Superman freed the bottled city of Kandor from Brainiac's clutches and re-embiggened it to full size. Suddenly 100,000 Kryptonians were living in the North Pole. When some of them started using their powers to capture/kill Superman's baddies, they were forced to evacuate the planet and created their own new planet I believe still in our solar system. That's the point where the existing trades stop but they've been spending a year showing Superman living on New Krypton trying to quell their hot blood I believe.

14. Admiral_Young

I just looked again and you're right about the slight costume change...I dunno how you could have a spoiler about a cover and have people pissed off when it's only speculation. It does look very much like a Bat symbol encased in the shield of the House of El without the S. I wonder how Dick...or Bruce(see the announcement about his return by the time War of the Supermen begins Bruce could be back home by then) influence Chris.

The dude who was interviewed about the project said don't be surprised if characters change allegiance during the course of the event and said characters be ones you don't expect too.

15. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

That was the first thing a friend of mine thought when he saw that.

I personally think they probably could have put a little more thought into the promo artwork. It certainly doesn't do much to get me all a-flutter over the upcoming series.

16. Admiral_Young

I think it's an Oliver Copiel (is that his name) cover. It's mentioned who drew it on the blog.

17. ClayinCA

No, he won't - his time on the Superman books is done, unfortunately (he's said that in a number of interviews). Post-Blackest Night, he'll be continuing to write Green Lantern, he'll be writing both Flash features in the new Flash book, he'll be doing this new Earth One thing, and the so-far-unconfirmed rumours are that he'll be writing a Justice League book as well. No Superman. :(

Also, just announced today, Marc Guggenheim will be the new writer on Action Comics.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, and
    Flamebird is above Supergirl. The one unfortunate thing about Nightwing being right there is that now we know that Chris Kent gets "de-aged," since he just aged to about eighty in the most recent issue of Action Comics.

19. ClayinCA

Well, actually...at the end of Action Comics 884 (out this week),
    he does in fact get de-aged.
    So not much of a spoiler, really.

20. Admiral_Young

Yeah I just read the article about the Guggenheim announcement...I must've been confused or something about Johns returning to Action Comics after Blackest Night and meant Green Lantern. I have read the Justice League thing though.