So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree. There's a directory in the back of the book that tells who everyone is, which is more than a lot of book series do. Of all the book series I've read over the years, the vast majority don't go to the extremes the Titan series has gone to to reintroduce every character and then reinforce basic physical traits nearly every time they appear.

I finished Fallen Gods this morning. I liked the Andorian story line, but that was about it.

Next up, I'm picking up Forgotten History again. I started it a few months ago but got distracted from it. I really enjoyed the first DTI book, so I'm looking forward to this one. :)

2. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Fleming at his best right there! :cool:

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just don't expect Jaws to show up! :)

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

He is in The Spy Who Loved Me, though, sort of - he has a different name (Horror)

5. WarsTrek1993

Don't expect Bond in space firing a laser gun, either! Hahaha!

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have finished David Mack's Cold Equations trilogy and Ron Suskind's Confidence Men, and did a quick re-read on Una McCormack's brilliant DSN novel The Never-Ending Sacrifice.

I'm currently about halfway through John le Carré's The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Not sure where I'll go from here. There are a number of possible directions I might go, reading-wise -- I might:

Still not sure yet. What do you guys think?

7. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I knew before hand that Bond didn't go into space otherwise I wouldn't have bought the book, the book was much better than the movie.
    I've just started "Thunderball", Bond in a health clinic, I only hope that Bond don't meet all the bad guys accidently, like Drax and now in a clinic

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless one's reading Christopher Wood's novelization of Moonraker, that is. :)

9. DaveR

DaveR Commander Red Shirt

They are all wonderful.

I'm in the middle of Bujold's latest book, and it's about Cousin Ivan. It's called Captain Vorpatril's Alliance.

10. WarsTrek1993

Just finished reading DS9: Avatar: Book one.

...damn, that was good!

11. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Wasn't it? That level of quality stays, too, the whole way through. There might be 3 at most mediocre books in the DS9 series. It's pretty amazing.

12. WarsTrek1993

I'm just about to start book two!

What's really amazing, is that many events took my by surprise despite them probably being talked about in the DS9-Typhon Pact books, which I read first!

EDIT: Thrawn, with Section 31: Abyss, am I to expect an edge-of-my seat adventure, as the description sounds?

13. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Breezed through the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary eBook A Big Hand for the Doctor. I'd read one or two of the Artemis Fowl books way back when, but was never a big Eoin Colfer fan. This was an enjoyable little romp and I picked up on the "nod" the story was making towards a famous British children's story. That said, Colfer really presents a take on the First Doctor that's very unique and quite at odds with Hartnell's personality. It was fun, but I am a little annoyed that with three different media tackling the 50th Anniversary (BBC eBooks, Big Finish-AudioGO audio collaboration & IDW's Comics) that two of the three Hartnell-era stories would tell pre-Series stories. Alas. I do look forward to the rest of them, especially with rumors of Neil Gaiman and JK Rowling down the pike!

I've stalled out a bit on Death in Winter, I'm finding it to be fairly boring (about 1/4 of the way through) and the writing to be a little flat.

14. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Oh yes, I'd say that's just about right. :)

15. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: Mere Anarchy yesterday. Then I read Rightful King, a short story ebook tie-in to Call of Duty: Black Ops II, that I got free for pre-ordering the game from Amazon. It was pretty horrible, it was like reading something written by a middle-schooler and it didn't really add anything to the story of Black Ops II. I'm now reading Star Trek: The Lost Era: The Sundered.

16. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Yesterday, I finished The Next Generation: Kahless. Except for the misspelling of bat'leth it was an enjoying read. It was thrilling to dive into Klingon mythology and to have a historical setting within Star Trek. :klingon:

I wonder whether it is still part of the current continuity? While the events themselves fit neatly, the revelation about the truth of Kahless should have more lasting repercussions one would think. :vulcan:

Without taking a break, I began The Left Hand of Destiny, Booke One. After the duology, I'll finally read Diplomatic Implausibility and the subsequent GKN/KE series.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, the spelling of that word has changed over the years. Originally it was supposed to be batlh'etlh, a mashup of the pre-existing Okrand-Klingon words for "honor" and "sword." Since that's a tongue-twister for English speakers, it ended up being pronounced "bat-leth" onscreen -- yet somehow the early scripts and reference sources rendered it as "bat'telh." It was a number of years before the official sources started writing it as "bat'leth" to match the pronunciation -- probably not until the 1997 edition of the Encyclopedia came out. So at the time Kahless was written, the "bat'telh" spelling was officially "correct," even though it made no sense.

18. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Currently Reading:
    Indistinguishable From Magic by David McIntee
    Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
    Imzadi by Peter David
    Metamorphosis by Jean Lorrah

Over the last week, I completed:
    Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony by Dayton Ward
    Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within by Christopher L. Bennett
    Dragon's Honor (TNG #38) by Kij Johnson and Greg Cox
    The Better Man (TOS #72) by Howard Weinstein
    Rules of Engagement (TOS #48) by Peter Morwood
    A Roch and a Hard Place (TNG #10) by Peter David
    Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly

I just have to say, Dragon's Honor was the funniest ST book I read since How Much For Just The Planet?

19. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

[snip]

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know that! :bolian:
    I'm not proficient in Klingon but this also explains the name of Emperor Kahless's flagship IKS Batlh in STO: Fek'Ihri Return Ep.2: Destiny.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks so much! That's not a book I hear much about anymore, so I'm genuinely tickled to find out that people are still enjoying it. I'll have to tell Kij.