Any info' about the "Planet Killer" filming model?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Redfern, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm, yeah, "Immunity Syndrome" is right up there with the spectacle, but I've always felt it had more drama to it too -- and not as much laughably over-the-top action/melodrama stuff like smoke bombs going off on the transporter stage and William Windom overacting to death in the shuttlecraft. But again, a large part of what makes it feel emotionally effective is that it recycles a lot of Kaplan's "Doomsday Machine" score.

2. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oddly, I find Immunity a snoozer. I like the pacing in DS, and back and forth of ships in jeopardy, ww's performance, yes, the music, yes, the smoke bombs, the whole chain of command thing. Synergy. Karma, whatever, the whole thing works. Except the ending. Clank.

So it goes. This might be my second fave ep. No rationale. I just like it. We are emotional beings who also sometimes think, and I claim that birthright.

3. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    If you're looking for exactly how the creature was made I would check into the records of The Westheimer Company, who did all the special effects for the series. The Howard Anderson Company, who also did mostly the opticals, may be a possible source

Somewhere there has to be a bill from the company to either Desilu or Roddenberry himself for the effect. I would also see if the archieves from Desilu exist somewhere.

4. Christopher

Westheimer was just one of about five FX houses that did photographic effects on Star Trek. The VFX for "The Doomsday Machine" were credited to Cinema Research Corporation, a company that apparently still exists and has worked on later Trek productions (also modern Trek's VFX producer Dan Curry worked there before joining TNG).

5. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

unfortunately I only have a few very small pieces, not nearly enough to recreate even a small scale planet killer.

6. Rulius

Rulius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For what it's worth, I read somewhere (maybe here) that it was made of paper mache.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

After filming it became a volcano for the prop masters kid's science fair exhibit.

8. Captain Tracy

Captain Tracy Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]

Very, Very Close,... after filming it ended up across the street for this episode of The Brady Bunch :lol:

9. Nerys Myk

Jan or Marcia?

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I thought Marcia at first, but, I think Marcia's hair was really long early on, and got shorter, and Peter is too old for it to be early on, so, if I don't have it backwards, it must be Jan

11. Nerys Myk

I was totally in to Jan as a kid. (Perhaps I've said too much.)

12. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Spray paint can do wonders to almost any material. Without touching it, you'd swear it was constructed of seriously solid wood or metal, not paper mache. Regardless, it was a throw-away prop that wouldn't have likely survived in someone's closet beyond a decade or so. I don't quite get why knowing about the construction materials is important. If you capture the surface contour and texture visualized in the episode, you're all set.

That reference to Bugle snacks was hilarious! I found another video on You Tube that's somewhat amusing: Best Dutch Snack Ever.

13. Christopher

Because it's interesting. Special effects are an art form, and it's worth studying the techniques of artists. Also because it's history. Learning or reconstructing the facts about things that happened in the past is worthwhile in its own right.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Exactly. While I wasn't that surprised that the TOS Troyian uniform pieces made use of commercial plastic placemats of the day, it was interesting that the same brand of placemats were used to make the Tholian as well.

Ditto when Fred Phillips told me that TOS Andorian antennae used cotton spools scavenged from the costume seamstress' workroom.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, "The Doomsday Machine" was an science fiction story with a strong science fiction premise, written by a remarkably good science fiction writer. Most of the worthwhile TOS episodes were, to some strong degree, representative of so-called "Golden Age" sf and pulp sf of the 1950s and most were written by exceptional writers of the prose form of the genre - Ellison, Sturgeon, Bixby, Bloch, Sohl...

By the middle of the second year, though, the producers started settling for "Star Trek stories," a pretty hermetic and self-referential subgenre all its own which came to dominate the modern Trek franchise.

16. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Thanks for including Jerry Sohl in your list. He is so often overlooked as an sf writer.