Sanctuary 1x01/02 - "Sanctuary for All" - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turbo, Oct 3, 2008.

?

Grade Sanctuary for All

1. Excellent

14.0%
  2. Above Average

46.5%
  3. Average

32.6%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

7.0%
  1. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

SciFi.com has the trailer and a 20-minute clip online right now.

Personally, I'm pretty excited for this. Its always nice to see more from Amanda Tapping.

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Oh, is that tonight? Thanks for the reminder.

3. Turbo

Although this isn't Stargate, it certainly has a very similar feel to Stargate. That almost certainly has to do with the fact that it's made by many of the same people as the Stargates (Damian Kindler, Martin Wood, Amanda Tapping). Also, a number of the characters are similar to Stargate's:
    - Dr. Magnus (Amanda Tapping) is pretty much Samantha Carter with an accent and less technobabble. She doesn't get to play much of a range in this clip.
    - Dr. Zimmerman is very much like Daniel Jackson, especially early Daniel.
    - Henry Foss seems like a cross between Rodney McKay and Greg Sanders from CSI.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing, mind you. I like Stargate. :D
    Looks like it's going to be a fun ride! Can't wait for tonight.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have they recut the webisodes or is this completely new? Visually obviously since they would need some kind of similar script to depict the new bloke turning up.

The little blonde action girl is from JPod and that's a fine place to cut your teeth.

5. A Clockwork Lim

A Clockwork Lim Lieutenant Commander

That premature Excellent vote was from me. I was in completely the wrong thread when I clicked through it and now I feel like an imbecile for messing it up. My apologies.

(Well, unless it really is great then I won't feel so bad.)

6. Hanover Fiste

Hanover Fiste Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think I can get past that accent long enough to give this a chance. Sorry, Amanda.

7. Turbo

The premiere is a reshot version of the first few webisodes.

It's actually not that bad once you get used to it. I imagine that it will either improve or vanish over the course of the series.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been waiting for this to come to TV since they first announced the web series, and so far from the previews and clips I've seen it looks pretty cool. The only problem is that it is on at the same time as the Clone Wars premier and I haven't decided yet which I want to watch, because based on the reviews I read this morning they seem to be about equally good.

9. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I just watched one of the clips on Scifi.com and the accent actually seems slightly better on the series than it did on the webisodes.

10. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    They have these new recording devices now that let you capture one show while you watch another.

For the love of ALL THAT IS HOLY I will NEVER understand why people have this problem anymore. Even a freakin' old video recorder can be bought from your local Cash Converters for about fifty bucks.

Join us in the twenty first century, already.

11. Turbo

I would kindly request that you dial down your arrogance. Many people, myself included, are on a limited budget, and cannot afford to pay for digital cable and the fancy-dancy recorder boxes. And VCRs don't help in this case, because the shows are on at the same time on two separate channels.

12. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Well, I guess I didn't factor in a limited budget. Maybe that's the advantage being in Australia - and particular the state of Western Australia, where we have a multi billion dollar mineral boom going on, champagne is flowing in the streets and digital recording devices are given out with cups of coffee at Starbucks.

;)

13. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doesn't seem like they're using the "Green Screen" aspect anymore.

I like the look of it. Glad to see they kept most of the same actors in their roles. Guess we'll have to see where this goes as many scenes have already been altered.

I missed the first few minutes and came in on the Cops finding the boy under the bed. What did I miss?

14. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

Watching now... so far it seems like a blend of X-files, CSI, and Special Unit 2.

15. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

And Stargate -
    Tapping is Catherine, right now talking to Daniel in a rain storm.
    The blond on the motorcycle will probably turn out to be SG1 Sam.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Seems okay so far. Definitely better than most of the crap I usually see on SciFi. I'm off right now, but I'll catch the rest when they rerun it later in the night.

17. Quantum

Quantum Captain Captain

Dee From Battlestar Galactica got a new gig in this show. I am still mad she dumped Billy the "nice guy" though.

18. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Poor Siler always gets hurt. At least he didn't get it from the Goauld.

So far this is okay. It's going to be hard to come up with a new Abnormal every week though.

19. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

hmmmmm so far i must say that this show has potential. I hope the nect hour keeps to the beat its been going at.

the only negative for me is the fake british accent

its not quite british enough...and being that its Amanda Tapping your not used to the accent, it seems forced but as it gones on its acceptable.

This show's premire may get an Excellent out of me yet:alienblush:

20. Turbo

Actually, they are using green screen. They just have more money now. :D

You didn't miss anything other than the cops bursting into the apartment.