Am I the only one who likes wesley?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by WesleysDisciple, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kill Wesley, keep Snirkles.

2. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a doctor, you'd have thought his mother would have educated him better in such matters. Maybe she was just too busy with... whatever it is that Beverly prefered doing instead of bringing up her son. Tap dancing, maybe.

3. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Once they got him out of the "saves the ship every episode" syndrome, I liked him just fine.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

My opinion is that 60% of the use of Wesley was fine by me, the other 40% was somewhat annoying. I particularly enjoyed his story in WNOHGB, and also his final appearance as a regular. His episodes post-regular were almost all excellent.

RAMA

5. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

I didn't start watching TNG until midway through season five, by which time Wesley was only an occasional guest star. The First Duty was the first episode I saw him in, so in a way I got the strongest possible introduction to the character. Even when I saw the earliest TNG episodes, as bad as the Wesley stuff was I still couldn't quite bring myself to hate the guy because I knew he'd get some good stuff in the end.

Even after all these years though, I still can't get used to him being sat in Ro's chair... :confused:

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I never minded Wesley. I still think the ep "Coming of Age" was one of the high points of the first season and a good episode for TNG as a whole.

7. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wesley definitely doesn't seem as annoying after experiencing Neelix and the entire Enterprise cast.

8. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

A. No need to lie to Jack. Maybe they came clean, Jack forgave them, and Bev decided it was best to tell Wes that Jack was his father so as to avoid confusing the kid. Based on what we know after S1 this is possible. Obviously it becomes impossible later on when Wes gets the holo-gram from his dad, but I'm looking at it strictly with S1 info. Also, for all we know, Jack and Bev were on a break in the relationship or had an open relationship.

B. Kassidy and Ben show that people still get accidentally pregnant in the 24th Century. Maybe they took precautions and they failed.

C. Picard could have separated his personal life from command and made this decision strictly on professional grounds.

Again, this is obviously not what the series writers intended when we consider post s1 information, but using a "s1 only perspective" there's no need to assume Picard is a terrible person to make it work.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe Jack and Jean-Luc were sharing. They were, after all, best friends in an enlightened future. Rodenberry would have loved it.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That certainly brings a new meaning to Picard's "I knew your father, Wesley" line.

11. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

:rofl: IMHO, Will Wheaton was mostly a victim of bad scriptwriting and bad dressing (if there is a TNG-R version coming some day the first thing they should do is to occasionally CGI replace these terrible sweaters).

And without Wesley we would have probably not gotten one of my all time favorite TNG episodes (see quote below).

Bob

12. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    I never hated Wesley and I don't understand all the hatred surrounding him. Anyone who has had kids know that they can be annoying at times.

And that is all that Wesley was doing...just being a kid.

13. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I wouldn't say I hated Wesley, just that I found him kind of annoying, like others have said.

I'd need to do a real sit down TNG marathon to see his growth as a character since its been so long since I've watched more than the episodes on BBC America.

As for Will Wheaton, its hard for me to disassociated his other characters from Wesley. In Criminal Minds he played a rapist and a killer and even with a beard I was like "Wesley's turned out so wrong!"

14. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wil still has that babyface, despite the beard. Compare that to someone like Christian Bale, who looked like a grumpy adult even in Empire of the Sun. :lol:

15. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

I didn't like his roles in "The Naked Now" and "The Battle", but after Picard yelled "Shut up, Wesley!", I thought he improved steadily as a character. :cool:

16. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wil Wheaton agrees. He hated anytime Wesley showed up the adults. He thought it was a great way to make the audience hate his character.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I couldn't stand the Wesley that constantly saved the Enteprise that was in season one. But I really didn't mind him starting in season two when they finally tried to develop the character beyond super genius.

I feel that there might be some character envy going on from some of the more vocal fans. I mean Wes got to hang out with Picard and company, not to mention becoming the helmsman of the flagship during the first season! Talk about having everything handed to you!:lol:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  18. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked him, but I didn't season 1 like him. My friends insist The First Duty was his standout episode and perhaps it was but I prefer The Game. It's more fun.

19. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He is a good officer but he is rather irritating every now and again.

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral