Lobo: Alien Bounty Hunter -- DC's next big screen character??!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Thespian skills? It's not Hamlet, it's Lobo.

I think he'd be a decent enough fit for the role, assuming he's willing to drop his family-friendly appeal for a movie or two.

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I always thought Michael Keaton would have made a cool Lobo. True, he doesn't have the bulk but they can always make him an all CGI character. Keaton has the personality. I've always thought of Lobo as Beetlejuice with steroids and suffering from a serious psychosis.

Keaton can do psycho! He can do it soooooooooooooo fuckin' well! :D

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^That could work.

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The Rock tweeted this today:

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice update. Still a bit amazed they are going ahead with a Lobo film though.
    Of all possible characters in the DCU stable, both streetwise, super and cosmic they go with Lobo. Especially considering how the last cosmic character went.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think this and Guardians of the Galaxy are probably the most unexpected (at least by me) comic book movies to be announced in a while.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Lobo" has been in development at one point or another over various times the last couple of decades. Kind of like "Sgt. Rock" has been and other characters. DC seems to be weird with what kinds of their properties they want to develop into live action. Not obvious choices I agree.

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

DC-wise I'd still rather see a Hitman movie - no relation to Agent 47 - with Baytor, Six-pack and the gang all included...

9. Captain Craig

It seems an alleged one sentence synopsis has found it's way to the Web.
    So as a standalone movie how does this work to make us relate to Lobo as the hero? He's suddenly now even more an obvious Jonah Hex from space parody.

As a synopsis I can see that as the set-up for how Lobo meets an actual hero and the real hero keeps him in check. I don't see Lobo suddenly keeping a low profile and honoring the native customs and protocols. Not without so much reworking that he's now Lobo in name only.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Why do you assume Lobo will be a standard "hero" type?

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

1) Lobo has never been a regular hero-type

2) And the "in-name-only" thing would be unusual for Hollywood, how, exactly?

12. Captain Craig

RE:

1) Exactly, not being a "regular" hero makes him an odd choice right out of the gate. He's Jonah Hex on 'roids and lacks even the respect for local law that the Punisher has. He's never struck me as heroic at all in 99% of stories I've read about him...so why is he being considered so strongly for a solo film? What role would he serve in a greater cohesive DCU movie universe?

2) It wouldn't, just seeing as how of late Marvel has shown you don't have to drastically alter a character to make him work in a new medium would seem a shame for it to be done. I mean, it even seems the new Dredd film has learned from the Stallone "in name" only film in one regards by keeping the helmet on. At least based on the replies in that grading thread to date.