Idea for BluRay-Set: TNG Season 8

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is an idea I also had back then for the DVD sets, but maybe for BluRay it even makes more sense:

The "8th Season" is pretty much a BluRay set containing TNG crossover episodes from the other Star Trek series (VOY, DS9 and ENT) - episodes, that contain TNG characters (actors reprising the TNG role) or are in direct context of a TNG story.

CBS could use this BluRay set to test the HD transfer of all the other Trek series and keep TNG fans interested in buying a BluRay set of Star Trek series they wouldnt probably buy, if it were just only VOY, DS9 or ENT (and vice versa, since it would bring pretty much fans of all series together in watching episodes of the other series in HD they otherwise wouldnt care about).

I would be massivly interested in such a project.

2. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

They are either going to convert DS9/Voyager or not. They are not going to convert a few TNG themed episodes in advance of that (IMO)

They are now hinting they WILL convert DS9.

3. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

I can see that being a bonus disc on the 7th season release.Episodes like Defiant could help the company explore the desire for a HD set of the other series. The bonus disc could also be sold separately to see if the other series' fans will buy an HD set.

4. Grant

Hasn't that been done?

The sales of TNG in Blu-ray will be the factor in deciding to do the other series--not another sampler disc.

5. Salinga

DS9 has the Q, Lwxana Troi and Thomas Riker episodes. VOY has the Q (one with Riker) and Barcley/Troi episodes, and ENT has the Borg, Soong and TATV episodes. I think, this is worth a complete set.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

If you are going the crossover character's route as a criteria there is something in the back of my head.

Wait a minute that's it, DSN has some 175 episodes featuring the crossover character of O'Brien.

Besides we will get to see DSN in HD in the "Birthright" two-parter.
    Why not just do DSN-HD.

7. Salinga

Of course I wasnt thinking about the TNG characters, that are permanent characters of DS9 (which Worf also became).

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I knew that, but simply putting a few episode on a bonus disk is not likely to have a signifigant impact on whether a fan buys another series.

I mean it's not like the Star Trek shows are hard to find (ok may DSN), but on this side of the Pond TOS/TNG/VOY seem to be all year round. The rarer shows to be re-run are DSN and ENT.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it would be a stretch to consider any of those "TNG".

10. Grant

So a season set featuring TNG characters from the other series that aren't Worf or O'Brien? For people who like TNG, but wouldn't be interested in buying DS9?

ok. good luck

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It would be neat for them to include sample episodes of other series in HD on later season sets. Might give me reason to pick up season six and seven. :techman:

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm sure a case can be made for TATV

The only real charcters to appear are Riker and Troi
    It is set on the holodeck on the 24th Century ship Enterprise

13. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I might bet you that TATV will be on Season 7 as extra just like the Tribble disc on Season 2 of TOS. But that is the only episode I can make a case for.

"Defiant" might be an idea to show what happened to Tom Riker, but I really don't think so, because they had the chance to include as an extra the episode "In a mirror, darkly" after "The Tholian Web" and they didn't so, I don't think they think like this. The only two direct episode links between series were the TOS-DS9 Tribble episodes, and TNG-ENT Pegasus/Riker dilemma episodes. I can't think about a third example ...

14. BillJ

Well, I'd probably count Emissary in that group. :techman:

15. Salinga

That's true. And probably a good test balloon for DS9 in 1080p HD.

16. BillJ

Probably not, considering how effects intensive it is. You'd likely get something more along the lines of Duet as a DS9 sample episode.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They aren't going to do Emissary unless they are decide to release the first season of DS9 remastered.

18. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been done before - the Crossovers video set, and Emissary being on the TNG TVM set in the UK, but a full HD reworking wouldn't be nearly so cheap or chearful.

So I suppose it might be afordable after they'd been done and released in their own sets, but not beforehand.