Should the remastered episodes be released on DVD?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by The Laughing Vulcan, Sep 9, 2012.

1. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

They more or less did. Check out TrekCore's screencap section and you'll see. The new effects are both obvious, but at the same time look so close to the original versions that there is no problem.

That said, I wouldn't mind having the bonus stuff on DVD. I'm referring now to the audio commentaries and the extended version of the second season Data on trial episode (I'm actually drawing a blank on the title, of a TNG episode no less, can you believe THAT.:lol:), because I will never upgrade to Blue Ray. It came out WAAAAAY too soon.

DVD is just fine, thank you.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Are you talking about the US versions?

The 2007 box set has terrible packaging. The green plastic dvd cases fall apart after using it a few times according to many reviews on Amazon.

I'd rather have the original 2002 silver season boxes. They might be bulky, but they are really durable and look really nice on a shelf!

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The Measure of a Man.

4. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's not really exclusive. It's the same content as the DVDs (minus some special features); it's just been remastered. Aren't there lots of films that get remastered for Blu-ray that don't get a DVD re-issue?

(Granted, most remasters aren't quite so exhaustive and complicated as this!)

5. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

Depends on the market. The more money this thingy makes the better, so I would say yes. Bluray is still kinda geeky thing, while DVD is absolute mainstream. :vulcan:

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Just for comparison sakes: that's how the difference would be between the current DVD and a remastered PAL DVD. And yeah, it's with the PAL aspect ratio stretch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They should release it on DVD as well.

7. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

do dvds offer 7.1 surround? i dont know anything about this technobabble, but i'm just wondering if the audio might also be a reason it isn't on dvd. (everyones been focusing on the visual)

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think the reason it's not on DVD is because this is a premium title. They want it to stand out in a crowded market as something special.

9. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, sounds like a plausible explanation. I was just throwing that out there.

10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, right. Thanks.:bolian:

11. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Yes, yes and thrice yes. It's inadvisable to place too much credibility in the impartiality of these reviews. Personally, I find it absolutely astonishing nary a single review picked up on the glaring audio issues contained across seven episodes in TNG-R.

12. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

And the whole point is that you buy a blu-ray player, and then buy more blu-rays. It's the same as how they didn't release the remastered DVDs on VHS again. Well actually they kind of did in the UK, but only for three or four seasons...

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Wow, REALLY? They rereleased it on VHS? Talk about a waste of time and money!:rommie:

14. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

If the demand is there, people will buy it, and companies are notoriously fickle about losing money. For those three or four seasons on VHS, you can bet that two or three seasons made profit, and as soon as the final released season lost money, they cancelled it.

I think it's that DVD is good enough mentality that will probably stop TNG-R coming out on DVD. If you have a mid range HD TV, between 35 and 45 inches, then a DVD upscaled will look reasonably good. There's a reason why I'm not running out and double dipping on all my movie DVDs. If it's anamorphic and not letterbox, and if it's a fair transfer, then it's good enough to enjoy on my home cinema without me whinging about clarity or definition.

The original TNG DVDs upscaled to that midrange look like pants to me and upgrading those is a no-brainer. If I have the filmic quality TNG-R on DVD and upscaled that, I wouldn't feel any urge to upgrade that to Blu as that would look good enough to enjoy (obviously nowhere near as good as Blu). That's a strong reason not to release TNG-R on DVD anytime prior to the release of all seven seasons on Blu.

I'd expect Paramount to release it on DVD afterwards, in stripped down, extras free, episode only collections, to eke out every last penny from the few Blu-ray refuseniks that will be left then.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think the best case scenario for it being released on DVD will be as 'Best of' collections after it has finished it release on blu-ray. Maybe each season gets a release with four episodes?

16. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be honest, you're not really showing us a "remastered PAL DVD" cos it doesn't exist. You're downscaling the BD to 480p resolution, aren't you? If so, then we can't assume a real remastered DVD would look as good, cos BDs have a deeper color palette, better contrast, and less motion artifacts.

17. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Point taken about the colour palette, but given the size of the images, about 200kb, they probably have more compression applied than would be applied on DVD. You're also right that motion artefacts and the like would also impinge on the final quality.

It would still be better than the existing DVDs.

Actually, given the price that Paramount are charging for the Blu's I'm surprised that they aren't released as Triple Plays combos to begin with, with DVD and digital included. That would have satisfied everyone.

18. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just compare the TOS DVDs to the TOS-R DVDs and you'll see that it would be worthwhile. Trekcore has caps from the original DVDs and the BDs and I'd be happy to contribute with more screencaps from my TOS-R DVDs for anyone who's interested.

19. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep, seasons 1-5 were re-released on 3-or-4-episode tapes between 1998 - 2002. In fairness, when they began in 1998, DVD was only JUST coming onto the market, and was really really expensive. I suspect a lot of VHS manufacturers (whatever happened to CIC anyway?) hoped it would go the way of laserdisc.

Of course, by 2002, the writing was on the wall, hence why TNG season 6-7 was never re-released, and Enterprise only got season 1 released on video.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

What was the market saturation like when it was DVD vs VHS? It took several years for DVD to become dominant over CHS. With BR vs DVD however it is different whilst there is an improvement in picture quality with BR, for many DVD is good enough. So BR is finding it harder to establish itself than DVD had over VHS.

I remember BR only having at most a couple of metre's or so in shops a few years back now they can have 4 or 5 times that. Whilst at the same time the space given to DVD has shrunk.