MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

^ I hate you. :p I didn't even get to see the celebration on TV. :(

I'm really glad Bobby Doerr was able to make it there. I wasn't sure if he'd show up, since he lives in Oregon.

2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

I would have loved to be in the meeting where they were deciding how much to stuff to put into that thing.
    It's almost like they made a brainstorming list of different possibilities and then gave it to the contractor who instead of making a phone call just put them all on there.
    I thought the Brewer's slide thing was a little silly, but this just blows that away by several hundred degrees.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The Cubs are 3 - 11, and the team's slugging percentage is ... wait for it ... .319.

I knew it was going to be a long season, but, holy shit. Holy holy holy shit.

4. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Timby

That's probably the best post / avatar combination I've seen in a long while.

6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I was able to watch the opening celebration on my iPad. I can't tell you how much I love going up to Fenway and watching games there. My best friend is a huge Red Sox fan and we usually go every summer up and catch a few games over a weekend. Its one of my most cherish things to do, we have had this tradition for almost 10 years now.

7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Plus Dempster potentially going on the DL, or at least missing a start or two, with his 1.33 ERA.

Wood already on the DL (huge surprise there).

And, like last year, mostly getting a lot of hits but not putting them together for runs.

I wonder, with all the BS about contending "this year", how they'll explain this off after a while. "oh, we always said we were rebuilding".

8. Timby

Dempster was put on the DL about an hour ago. Word is that to clear a roster spot, Marlon ".070 batting average" Byrd may be on his way to Boston, since he wasn't in today's lineup.

Wood to the DL doesn't shock me, because while his velocity has been at or near career-best, his location has been horrific, and it's clear that something isn't right with his shoulder.

9. SmoothieX

The avatar guy is definitely on top of this game so far this season.

10. Ar-Pharazon

What do they think they'll get for Byrd? Still, it could free up a spot for, what, Jackson to play every day?

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had a great time at Fenway last year and I like the place very much. It's probably got 40 or 50 more years left to it. It's like the anti-Wrigley.

But what the hell was that "Who is Karim Garcia?" all about? Don't tell me Pedro still has a grudge from the 2003 ALCS...

Edit:

...and Philip Humber just pitched a perfect game for the Whitesox. :techman:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  12. Ar-Pharazon

^ Yeah, a perfect game from someone I've never heard of :lol:

Good for him. It's still a pretty rare thing, even though it's happened a few times recently.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

15-9. Ho...lee...SHIT. What an upset that was. The Redsox blow a 9-0 lead...Bobby V gets booed louder than any player probably ever has been...if he still has a job come next month I will be surprised.

In fact I don't ever recall seeing a team's fans boo THEIR OWN MANAGER ever before. Certainly not like this. As much of a Yankee fan as I am, even I felt bad for Bobby.

14. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I didn't. Bobby V is an asshole all around. I couldn't believe what he said about Youkilis and I'm sure this is just the start of "Bobbyisms" should he stick around.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yep. It's gonna be a looooong season.

16. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

I have been to Fenway a few times and love it but I have been to other parks and am envious of their parking lots

17. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I have the opposite attitude. I like parks that let you take mass transit to get to them. Having to rent a car is no damn fun.

18. SmoothieX

Neither is $40 parking or waiting two hours to get out of a parking lot full of drunks.

I'm all for mass transit as well. The line down the street from me stops right in front of the stadium.

19. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

When I lived in Great Neck, I could hop onto the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) and be to Shea/Citi-field in eight stops, about 15 minutes. Now that I'm further out on the island, driving is easier but yeah I hate having to deal with the rush out of the ball park. If I have a choice, I'll take mass transit.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

^ A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to find two ballparks to visit (Camden Yards and Citizens Bank Park) where I could book hotels right next door.

I am particularly grateful that I never had to deal with Phillies fans on the subway after a game at CBP. It was hard enough dealing with them at the game itself.