Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Enterprise is Great, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

Really wanted to buy this. But not now.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

This stinks.

My question:

If I buy the disk, can I get an audio version of that commentary and sync it with my disk, and therefore not throw out another $20?

It's incredibly stupid that I have to do it at all... but, get real!

4. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Saul took the words right out of my mouth. There is absolutely no excuse for this, Paramount. Shame on you.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

This just in: Paramount launches brilliant new scheme to increase piracy. [​IMG]

6. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Yes, you can definitely do it. You could simply put headphones on and press start on your iPhone/Pad at the same time as you begin the Blu-ray.

Or you could do something like rip the Blu-ray and the commentary track from iTunes and mux them into an MKV file or whatever. I'm not sure I'm allowed to describe the process on these boards, but it's not that hard.

7. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

We'll be covering ALL the extras - including the commentary and other retailer exclusives - in our review at TrekCore. Definitely going to be putting a lot of long hours into this one.

The commentary is not audio-only; there is a bunch of on-screen stuff happening to go with it, and the running time is not the same as the final film. A sync-watch won't help you with this one.

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

And to think that some Star Trek fans called the folks working on the TNG BluRay sets talentless hacks.

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

They stopped putting a lot of features on DVDs and now they all go to Blu-ray, which is suppose to be the ultimate in terms of home release. They have also jacked up the prices on Blu-rays. So what do they do now? Outsource the special features to their retailer buddies and charge more than ever for the Blu-rays. It's a completely sleazy and bush league move on their part.

This reminds me of when Paramount first started doing DVDs. They woul have strong picture quality but would put no special features on them at all.

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Just canceled my order of the 3D blu. I'm a big fan of commentaries. I'll just go without the whole movie then. Oh well.

11. drumvan

drumvan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

hey paramount, karma is a dish best served cold.....and it's very cold in space :evil:

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

So wait, is there an audio only version of the film commentary?

13. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

No.

14. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any hints as to when the review will be up? It would be nice to be able to make an informed decision on if I should cancel my existing preorder and get a different version before the film is released.

15. RollTide1017

RollTide1017 Ensign Red Shirt

It has been confirmed on Blu-ray.com that if you buy the BD and use the digital copy code for the iTunes version you get all the iTunes extras, including the enhanced commentary, as well. Still not as good as having it on the disc but, at least we'll have access to it. Also, the digital copy code works for both UV and iTunes and it let's you get both, no need to choose.

Also, iTunes extras can not be played on iPhones, iPads or iPods, it can only be played back through iTunes on a Mac or PC. If you have an AppleTV, you can use AirPlay to stream it from iTunes to your TV. This is the big down side to iTunes extras, you are very limited in how you can watch them.

I really want to know if there is a difference, and what that difference may be, between the exclusive extras from Best Buy and Target. I look forward to the TrekCore review, hope it is out before the actual release otherwise I will go with the Target version.

16. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

We're working on it now.

17. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we appreciate your effort! IMO TrekCore has become the go-to place for up-to-date information. Thanks for the hard work and quality content!

18. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

Any difference between the standard blu ray and the steel book apart from the packaging. It only cost £2 more for the steel book but I just bought the Samsung S4 so trying to save some money. At the moment I have the standard blu ray on pre-order.

19. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Since the digi version will at least give *access* to the commentary I'm somewhat off the 'ledge' - still - even if it were accessible via portables (It's moronic that it isn't) why in the world would you fire up your 3D blu on your TV then listen to the audio on a portable device?

20. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Well, just four days to go in the UK, so I'll know what's what next Monday. For me, bonus content is not really that important, nice to skip through once, but not a deal breaker. Seemingly, the disc is going to be a reference quality transfer in terms of both sound and picture, and that for me, is all I'm bothered about.