The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

Got thru 7 pages of this thread....I really dig the teasers, especially that extra bit in the Japanese version. Love to know who Cumberpatch is playing, but very intense minute

2. AggieJohn

AggieJohn Lieutenant Red Shirt

From the trailer I leaning towards Khan, maybe Garth. But the fighting ability speaks to an genetically enhanced super soldier. Khan would have a bone to pick with earth. But again I am not ruling Garth out.

And in a way perhaps the Klingons find Khan and awaken him. I hate to quote something from Enterprise, but the Klingons had been fascinated with the augments. Perhaps they thought they could control him and were dead wrong. The fact that he is wearing a uniform of Starfleet is not evidence against either if you consider that Khan wore a broken Starfleet symbol around his neck in STII.

The one person I don't think it is now is Mitchell. One his story did not strike me as a revenge story. He was listed as killed in the line of duty as he did not choose to have those powers. The barrier did it too him. Where exactly is the revenge in that. Two he had god like powers, if he walked around tossing ships around I could see him being Mitchell but this guy seems like he is doing it the old fashion way.

3. Edge of Forever

Edge of Forever Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Re watching the Japanese teaser. When Benedict Cumberbatch is saying 'Is there anything you would not do for your family?', it almost sounds like Benedict's voice is breaking, like the kind of emotional line you'd give when explaining your motivation or driving reason. Were any of the villains in TOS majorly motivated by family?

4. frackoff

frackoff Cadet Newbie

Seen both Trek 2 trailers or teasers. It would appear Khan and the Genesis device have found there way into the alternate timeline. Japanese teaser scene appears to be a nod to Wrath and possibily the volcano scene Spock jumps into may be Vulcan from the Prime universe. Is JJ trying to set things right after all. Giving Kirk that all things possible chance to bring back his Dad and his dear friend by restoring order.

5. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I thought the trailer looked all kinds of meh. and do we really need to do the Kahn story again? ugh.....

6. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree. I think the villain blames Kirk for the death of a loved one and that becomes one of the motivations for his desire for revenge. In "Wrath of KHan", doesn't Khan blame Kirk for the death of his wife?

7. MasuPu'a

MasuPu'a Lieutenant Red Shirt

Trailer seemed more like a Transformers movie then a Trek one, but I will reserve judgement until I see the full movie itself. Have to say I'm pretty excited.

As for the villain, I'm thinking Garth might be a good bet. I mean, we're not seeing the freaky silver eyes and super-powers that Gary had, unless the story is that Gary never goes through the barrier and something else makes him crazy. I'm not thinking Khan, that seems a little too obvious.

Though it's hard to make accurate guesses based on a trailer that is mostly explosions and people looking shocked.

8. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, but Khan's wife was (IIRC) Marla McGivers... a Starfleet officer from Kirk's crew. So that wouldn't make sense unless he considered his followers family and they all got killed.

9. Edge of Forever

Edge of Forever Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yeah but Khan's wife was Lieutenant Marla McGivers, who he met in Space Seed, thus he wouldn't be married in this timeline yet (acting on the idea that he was just recently unfrozen).

Also, Kirk seems to recognize him in the trailer, so unless Kirk and Khan had a prior dealing not shown on screen I don't think it's Khan.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is how stupid the "Gary Mitchell" stuff is: I can pick out three things from this trailer - the "I have returned for vengeance" line, the "family" remark RE: McGivers, and the shot in the Japanese trailer of Kirk and Spock touching hands and claim that it's a remake of Wrath Of Khan.

Which would be unjustifiable bullshit, but then so is the MitchellHead blather.

11. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Has anyone considered that Cumberbatch could be playing Kirk's brother?

Or

It is neither Khan or Mitchell?

12. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Yes, people have considered all of these too.

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It's a new character altogether most likely, someone in Starfleet, someone who has a grudge largely against the Federation itself, with Kirk caught up in it.

14. Joerib

Joerib Lieutenant Red Shirt

No silver eyes, its not Mitchell!!

15. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Given the cumber-jumping going on I think it's pretty clear he's playing either a genetically enhanced or otherwise uber-being of some sort.

16. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

At this point, i hope it is a new character, but then, i do wonder about the 'accidental slip' from the Mccoy actor six months ago when he said Cumberpatch will be a great Gary. Legit slip or JJ abrams placed 'throw' put into place with the actor?

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The actors have been messing with the public and the fans for the last year at least, I wouldn't take it seriously.

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's the man of steel, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about "it was an obvious, broad, simple joke which the actor continued to build on for some time afterward?"

20. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*yawn* So they've taken the characters from Star Trek and slapped them on generic blockbuster action movie 'splosion fest # 2,372. I know it's only a teaser, but this feels so much like any of a million other blockbuster action films. I suppose we'll see.