Contractor: Rima And Kirk Cut Scene

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Sep 16, 2013.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nazneen Contractor, who played Rima Harewood, the mother of a sick daughter whose illness set in motion a terrorist attack by her father, explained how her role originally was a bit larger than what appeared on the screen. “I thought it was a very important role and it was much bigger, what we shot, than […]

More...

2. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having seen much more of Contractor's range as an actor on The Border, I do wish that scene could've been fitted into the finished movie.

3. drumvan

drumvan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

another case of a potentially very cool scene being cut just to save 30 seconds of screen time. this might have greatly helped the final scenes seem not so rushed.

4. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Even just show it during the closing VO montage, it's called closure, a simple thematic tool that JJ seems to ignore. Introduce something at the beginning and pay it off at the end.

5. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Now I want an alternative cut of the film.

6. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

This should be on the bonus disc, available only at 7 Eleven, on Wednesday afternoons.

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't have cared to have had it in the film but deleted scenes like this should've been on the blu-ray/dvds.

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Good cut. I'm not sure that scene added anything important to the movie. We know the girl was going to get better, and we know she and Kirk both have Khan's blood. Why do they have to share a knowing moment? It was far better to segue seamlessly from Kirk's speech to the crew on the Enterprise about to embark on their five-year mission.

9. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, how dare JJ assume we'd be bright enough to understand she made a full recovery without taking up more screen time to show her alive and well. The Nerve!

10. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

If a film was about knowing what happened, we would simply read the plot on Wikipedia. It's about experiencing it.

11. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps the studio slapped a running time restriction.

12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

It's also about the director deciding whether it makes his story better--in his judgement, clearly this was not the case. You are, of course, free to disagree (no one should object to that) but the idea that audiences do not have to be shown a resolution to every single element that was introduced earlier is a legitimate one. I hate when films spend too much time explaining things I can easily figure out for myself as though I was not intelligent enough to do so.

In this case, I can see the appeal of the cut scene, but I think it's placement in the structure of the final moments of the film would have proved somewhat problematic (along the lines pointed out by Franklin). But that's just my opinion.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

There was a publicity pic released of the main crew (in their hats) in San Francisco interacting with the little girl, Lucille, but it wasn't clear if it was for an actual scene or if she and Contractor were early for the wrap party.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm pretty sure that was identified as behind-the-scenes when it originally appeared. It's one of several called "set photos" here.

See also:
    http://translate.google.com/transla...2/05/31/jovem-atriz-indiana-em-star-trek-xii/

15. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

oh nice another scene that would make the more even more a Kirk show than it already is...

agree.