The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That's not his bladder that's doing the leaking.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

TV spot number 10

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv_rIkm2Jz4[/YT]

And a gif I found

[​IMG]

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The more I see of Bane, the more laughably small he looks to me. It's going to need some real trickery to let me believe that he is a proper match for Batman.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Get me some milk with that shake!!

6. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

That latest TV spot is really selling me on Anne Hathaway as Catwoman.

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Has the following article been posted yet? It's a year old. Here it is anyway.

Christopher Nolan's lady troubles: Why 'The Dark Knight Rises' may be Anne Hathaway's biggest challenge

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

By that logic, Nolan would have given us someone entirely convincing as Harvey Dent but not convincing as Two-Face.

Oh, wait...

9. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has come up, but I'm starting to get a serious DKR vibe off of this film, largely due to this image, which is reminiscent of the Mutant Leader rallying his mob. Then in the MTV music awards spot that just hit the web, an older cop tells a young one that "he's about to see a show" when Batman arrives on the scene. Nolan has always cribbed bits and pieces from existing stories and then spun off in an entirely new direction with them and there was (back when I was paying attention to this last) much speculation that the inclusion of Bane means that Knightfall would be the major inspiration for the upcoming film - but DKR is starting to look like the more direct antecedent to me.

Which makes me wonder if the "definitive ending" won't be Bruce Wayne faking Batman's death (and possibly his own as well) and setting up a more stealthy operation as he does at the end of DKR. Nolan has been amazing at capturing what I think is the strength of any great Batman story - triumph snatched from the jaws of tragedy so that while the overall tone of the tales is dark and ominous, the conclusions have an inspiring uplift to them.

Has any of the speculation on the film tilted this direction?

10. Flying Spaghetti Monster

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

If I ever hear that breathing sound in trailers again, I'm going to kill a kitten.

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel like there are influences from The Dark Knight Returns in all three films.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's because there are. It has been cited numerous times as being one of the source materials used for the trilogy.

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

new official summary

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

16. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

If this is suggesting the problem was Aaron Eckhart then I disagree. The problem with Two-Face in DK was that he really deserved more screen time, or maybe a whole new movie, and that his motivations and his "villain switch" is way too sudden.

It's like, he's a white hat hero for his entire career, then he gets disfigured and loses his fiancee, gets a very obviously manipulative talk from the Joker and suddenly he's a villain.

17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

And yet again, just when I thought I couldn't get anymore excited about this film...

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

I couldn't buy more screen time (let alone a whole nother movie) for a guy that would be riddled with infections and no ability to close an eye.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as it doesn't feel like 2hrs 45 minutes.
    Frankly upon rewatch TDK feels as long as it is imo.

20. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know Year One was cited as a major source for Begins, but when have the Nolan's or Goyer talked about DKR other than in relation to the tumbler's design? I'm not doubting you - I just haven't run across that and would be curious to read it if you have links.

I don't know that I'd say DKR specifically has influenced the other two films, though certainly Miller's work affected the overall tone. In terms of taking plot points or story ideas from comics stories I thought the creators had talked about Year One and The Man Who Falls for Begins, and Long Halloween and Killing Joke for TDK.

Interesting - I had been under the impression that Batman had gone underground after TDK, but not that he had stopped operating completely in the period between the two movies. On first impression that feels a little contrived - the retired badass is a pretty tired trope. But, Nolan has a way of making these things work. The trailers so far make it plain that this is another big, complex story (so complex that the trailers can't really get any of it across), which I'm glad for because when he tells a big, complex story it has always been surprising and fascinating.

TDK sags a bit around the ferries - Nolan's one flaw is that he often goes for extended sequences where I think he's trying to build tension (and often does on the first viewing), but it ends up feeeling dragged out in subsequent viewings. It's a danger of suspense story-telling. Watch The Birds 4 or 5 times in as many years and it starts to feel a bit ridiculous even though the first time around it creeped you out completely.

I don't mind a movie feeling long - Lawrence of Arabia, Gone with the Wind and Dances with Wolves all feel long, and are all great movies.